Best Base Map Calib. for New Intake Takeda

Civic 2016+ 1.5 Turbo
Emount91

Re: Best Base Map Calib. for New Intake Takeda

Post by Emount91 »

gtfrede07 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:03 am My initial setups are just as yall are doing. Once I feel I am close I will maybe do it once a week. Once I think its perfect Ill make a change once a month maybe. It always proves to me it cant be "perfect" lol. But I try to get it as close as possible. My last upload has taken about 2 months of daily use to get to -5% long term. I may end up leaving it the way it is to allow for colder ambient temps to hit that are coming to midwest soon. As this will make the trims start to go more positive or closer to zero.

As far as the rich lean and damaging question....as long as your changes arent overly dramatic the car will more or less take care of itself via fuel trims.
Sweet, that was my plan as well. Dial it in to almost perfect frequently, then back off to every couple days/once a week once I get that mean line hovering around zero (with the little random peaks and valleys).

Car is so far running great, every adjustment I make seems to smooth the acceleration out a tad more. hopefully it's not my butt-dyno misreading lol

I am going to do a datalog of my commute home today and post up the trims. If they are close to smooth I'll give it a few days and redatalog.

I have also started to do multiple datalogs of the same adjustments to see what is a real blip above/below 0%, and what is a fluke. If i see the similar patterns at similar AFM.v, I make the adjustment.
NikkoPH

Post by NikkoPH »

That is true, as much as we want to i don't think it will be possible to maintain a zero STRIM. As soon as i hit a variance of +3 / -3 i will doing less than often.
So far i have a few outliers that needs to be taken cared off.

I am now wondering when all of this is said and done, what will be next parameters we can work on to further improve our vehicles?

I appreciate all the help i got from the forums.
Emount91

Post by Emount91 »

gtfrede07 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:09 am Basically the longer you drive on a flash the more sample data the ecu acquires and the more "overall changes" will be in your recorded data. Multiple days with different humidity and temperatures etc basically lets the computer learn your settings and you can then react to its reactions. If that makes any sense.
makes perfect sense.

Should other people running these canned tunes without adjustments worry? I was extremely surprised to see how all over the map my short term fuel trims were with just a k+n drop in filter in the stock airbox (the takeda intake I am referencing in the initial post should be here in September, it is still being developed. I just wanted to get this practice in ahead of time so when the time comes I'll know what I'm doing) and the base 6+PSI map.
Emount91

Post by Emount91 »

can anyone else post up their AFM(.v) x S.TRIM graph so I can take a look? I'm struggling to find a "as good as it can get" example. In my mind, I want that mean line to be at 0% all the way through, but obviously we all know that's not realistic.
gtfrede07

Post by gtfrede07 »

This is a fairly recent one of mine I had saved in my phone.
This is a fairly recent one of mine I had saved in my phone.
20190330_233303 afm.jpg (4.07 MiB) Viewed 2381 times
gtfrede07

Post by gtfrede07 »

Also just to clarify and answer one of you questions above. Driving down the highway would not lead to heat soak. Idling for 10 minutes or more or stop and go traffic is when the heat soaking becomes a factor and it is more or less un avoidable at times.
Emount91

Post by Emount91 »

gtfrede07 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:30 am 20190330_233303 afm.jpg
ooooooooo that's a beautiful trim mean!!!

I should be pretty close to that within the next few days, I'm not too far off. My top end was all over the place like that too, I'm guessing because there's a lot less data in the top end since no one wants to floor their car the entire time they drive it.
gtfrede07

Post by gtfrede07 »

exactly. its hard to hit every single load sample that many times lol. That is why the longer the log assuming no dramatic temperature/humidity changes, the better.
Emount91

Post by Emount91 »

Here is today's long drive data:
90% "Highway"
10% ""City

"Highway" ambient temps: 82-85F
Air Intake Temps: +11-14F over ambient, 15-16 directly after hard pulls
Humidity: It's going to rain so assuming pretty high.

"City" ambient temp: 82F
Air Intake Temps: +16-21F over ambient, saw +22F when I made the last turn
Humidity: It had just rained, assuming lower than highway.
FULLCOMMUTEstft3.jpg
FULLCOMMUTEstft3.jpg (231.55 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
SO MUCH better than before. Any suggestions on where to adjust next? I'm thinking 1.3-1.8V adjust -3%, 1.9-2.2V adjust -3%, and right at 3.7V -1%.

After next adjustment, I'll work on 2.3-2.7V.

Attaching datalog just in case someone can tell me something I can't (don't know how to) see.
FULLCOMMUTE3.fpdl
(6.79 MiB) Downloaded 89 times
Side note: anyone know whats up with that blip at 0.9V? I feel like I always adjust it but it's always pretty extreme (usually in the rich range no matter what i do). it's there on every datalog.
gtfrede07

Post by gtfrede07 »

I have tried to calm down the lower range (idle- 2-4 g/s up to maybe 11 g/s) and man it is stubborn. I eventually got the low range close and quit being ocd about that area.

Good job!
Emount91

Post by Emount91 »

Even better this morning on my commute, weather was much more ideal. Just another -3% adjustment to the low end and I'll be happy with where it's at. Even my long terms are beautiful right now.
FULLCOMMUTEstft4.jpg
FULLCOMMUTEstft4.jpg (246.13 KiB) Viewed 2357 times
FULLCOMMUTEltft4.jpg
FULLCOMMUTEltft4.jpg (176.14 KiB) Viewed 2357 times
Thanks for all the help guys!

Now it's on to watching the knock. Yesterday I had 3 total over 50 minutes, today I had 6.
Emount91

Post by Emount91 »

After checking out the datalog on where a few of the knocks happened last night and this morning, they seem pretty consistent in this highlighted part of the ignition table:
KnockIgnitionTable.jpg
KnockIgnitionTable.jpg (283.6 KiB) Viewed 2355 times
gtfrede07

Post by gtfrede07 »

Whoop whoop. See its not that bad at all!!!
Emount91

Post by Emount91 »

gtfrede07 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:15 am Whoop whoop. See its not that bad at all!!!
I'll watch the next few datalogs to see if the knock count increases. If it does ill start with that cylinder trim global adjustment to see if it affects it at all.

knock control is taking over for a second or 2 when it senses knock, but not by much. it stays consistent at 54% and will maybe jump up to 60% MAX (I have only seen this extreme once). A lot of the time the knock control actually decreases to as low as 46% on some pulls.
Emount91

Post by Emount91 »

knock count down to 3 on my last 1 hour 6 minute ride so I'm not going to worry about it, but it is happening in that same spot on the ignition table.
KnockIgnitionTable5.jpg
KnockIgnitionTable5.jpg (303.49 KiB) Viewed 2325 times