SManager, the mystery software, will it work today or not.

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
smracing

SManager, the mystery software, will it work today or not.

Post by smracing »

I am about fed up with this S300. I can't get it to work consistently. It is all in the software I think. The ECU is working fine. I am running a stock P28 setting for now.

The problem is the mystery software. Sometimes it works sometimes it won't. I can start up the software and turn the car on and sometimes it will recognize the ECU, sometimes it won't. Sometimes I can start datalogging and then it will just stop midstream. The ECU will read "online", but nothing happens. Sometimes I get an error message that the usb port doesn't recognize the item plugged in, when it worked fine a couple of minutes earlier. I have installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled drivers and software. Sometimes the installs take and stuff works and then I shutdown the computer and next time it won't work. I have run V9 and V10. V10 wouldn't talk to the ECU at all, so I installed V9 again and it worked for 2min and then wouldn't. I haven't been able to upload any changes at all today. I installed both versions twice with no change. I even go into the registry and clean out all previous Hondata entries. None of this has made a difference.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

What operating system are you using?
Silverbeast

Post by Silverbeast »

There are some issues with certain models of laptops. I know that with my Dell, I have problems. ANY of my IBM laptops work just fine. Dont always blame it on the software.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Can you tell us a little more about what problem you have, the type or laptop and operating system, and what the lights do on the s300 when you switch on the ignition?

Is the USB device listed in the device manager (under USB controllers)?

If possible please try out another laptop.
Hondata
smracing

Post by smracing »

I am using Hell Latitude C610 laptop. It is running XP, has 256mb of ram and 1GHZ P3 processor. I have run large amounts of data through my USB port to a thumb drive to check the USB port for a problem. No problems there.

I haven't had the cover off since last week when I thought I had the problem
fixed. If I remember right the green light was on when the car was on and the redlight came on and flashed when I started datalogging. I really didn't watch them to closely. I will pull the cover off in the morning and check them again.

I get really inconsistent software function. Sometimes it will datalog, sometimes it won't, sometimes I can load changes but not datalog, sometimes I can't do anything. When I have a problem, I will check the USB listings under the hardware manager. Sometimes the S300 is showing up sometimes not. When it doesn't show up I either run the "Update Drivers" through the software or I uninstall them and do a clean reinstall of the drivers. Sometimes during the driver reinstall, the software will hang up or take a longer amount of time. The drivers will work for awhile and then stop working.

I tried installing V10 and it wouldn't work at all. The computer ran through the driver installation and the software said "online", but it wouldn't respond to any changes nor would it datalog. I uninstalled V10 and reinstalled V9. I got the obvious "a newer version available" warning, but tried it anyways. It worked fine for a few minutes then stopped datalogging and it wouldn't realtime update any changes.

When I first soldered the Unit in, I took it out to the car and plugged it in, it worked fine. No problems with datalogging. I even turned the fuel down, by clicking the "-" button in the Smanager software, until the car died. I didn't have to upload changes it worked in realtime.

Today when I went to check and install the newest version of software nothing worked after the install of V10. When I went back to V9 it work for a little bit and then quit.

I just got so pissed of I quit working with it.

I am going to try and take the computer and do a complete wipe and reinstall of the OS and see what happens.
smracing

Post by smracing »

I'm trying to load my map but the system won't let the file extension "SKL" be loaded to the forum.
Silverbeast

Post by Silverbeast »

I'm willing to bet it's the Dell itself. Like I said I own 3 Dell Laptops all used for tuning and they all have problems with USB related programming. This is true on Hondata Kpro and S300 units as well as some other domestic programs. I however can use any of my IBM laptops perfectly fine.

I think it has to do with the USB controllers built into the laptops.

I wouldnt go off and do a full format, unless you had the time and wanted to. Just my opinion, for what it is worth.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

rename the file with an allowable extension
D@nny

Post by D@nny »

my new3 dell 6000 is working fine ...could it be the actual ecu or soldering?
smracing

Post by smracing »

WOOOHOOOO> Two days of problem free tuning. Haven't had to fuss with re-installing drivers or software. I will mess with it tomorrow and see if anything has changed but I doubt it has.

I did a complete hard drive reformat twice and reinstalled all my software. So far no error messages. For you Hell guys I would try that.
smracing

Post by smracing »

Looks like it was some sort of computer problem. After a good reformat everything works. No more problems. For all of you guys with ECU communication errors can't get rid of them through normal channels, try a complete reformat.