09 Si help with hybrid racing intake tune.

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
EFICU

Re: 09 Si help with hybrid racing intake tune.

Post by EFICU »

Yeah it looks good. Go ahead and make another datalog when you can and we will see how it looks. If it stays knock free and still feels strong, I would probably recommend this calibration moving forward. That way you have the knock protection in case it is bad fuel now or in the future. But we'll see how the next one looks and discuss it.
akanep16

Post by akanep16 »

Does it weaken the cars performance or change anything like that by running a calibration with some timing removed? Sorry I’m not very smart on this stuff lol basically is there any negative to keeping this calibration vs the last revision
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

It might lose a couple hp in the area I pulled some perhaps, but good power with no knock is a lot better than a lot of power with knock. I only pulled a couple degrees in one area, it's not like we pulled 5* or 10* which would cause a noticeable reduction in power. So it's not a big reduction, but if it removes the knock and still feels strong in the car that's all that matters. No negatives at all, actually positives as there is less chance for knock in this calibration because there is less ignition.
akanep16

Post by akanep16 »

So if I run this gas out and pump good gas then go back a revision, if it still knocked would that be mechanical issue? Just wondering what would make another civic run fine with that calibration and mine knock
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah when you fill up again you can go back a revision if you'd like to verify knock or not. If it knocks, then yes it's just too much timing for your setup basically, not necessarily a "mechanical" issue. All of your calibrations have been custom to your car, nothing has been run on other Civics. It's feasible for one Civic to want less timing than another, that's why we tune them. If all these cars took one calibration there would be no need to tune them. Knock is part of the process, and pulling a couple degrees of timing stopped the knock on yours. So it's nothing to worry about or stress about. If the knock wouldn't go away after pulling a lot of timing, then you would need to look at a mechanical issue or the possibility of it being false knock.
akanep16

Post by akanep16 »

okay it makes sense I just wanted to be sure I wasnt like oh yeah let me spend all this money on performance parts and end up having a motor issue lol. Thank you! heres a log from today still knock free.
Attachments
28 march.fpdl
(2.85 MiB) Downloaded 91 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

No not at all, that's why we tune them. Some cars have areas of knock that are more sensitive than others. Which can be a number of reasons, which not all are cause for concern. If you think about it, at 8600 rpm the engine is turning 143 revolutions per second, the fact that no knock happens at that rpm among other issues is pretty amazing. So no, you having knock where another one doesn't is fine. If you keep pulling timing and it still has knock, then it's either false or perhaps a mechanical issue. For all of those reasons are why I don't tune for what I think your car should like, I tune for what your car likes. I don't really care what another car did in all honesty, sure I keep trends in my head on what most cars do, but I never leave a tune saying it should like this so I am just going to leave that setting in there. That again is why I always try to tune all cam angle one by one, it's more time consuming, but a far superior tune and honestly it's just the proper way to tune them.

The datalog looks good. So this is the same tank of gas, with the newest revision? Or new gas, previous revision?
akanep16

Post by akanep16 »

That was the same gas and rev10! and i completely understand, i trust your process i see the results through my car from where it was to now lol. So heres a datalog from today with the revision 10 and like 3/4 tank of new fresh gas (93) from a good station but im having same knock, im going to load the previous revision though and see. Idk how i go a day or so knock free then start knocking lol.
Attachments
30 march rev 10.fpdl
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
akanep16

Post by akanep16 »

okay heres some pulls with the new gas and revision 9 lol looks like it will be good? Fingers crossed for a few days.
Attachments
30 march rev 9.fpdl
(656.86 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah it looks good, try to make a datalog more like we have been with twenty minutes, and a clean third gear WOT pull. It does look like you might have got some less that advertised gas last time which happens from time to time. But let's make a few datalogs with this revision and the same tank of gas to verify it's all good before we call it good to go.
akanep16

Post by akanep16 »

Man im wondering if im crazy and accidentally pumped the wrong gas that first time lol but heres today driving, feels like a night and day different from before. The response from the throttle is quick and crisp.
Attachments
31 mar 2.fpdl
(5.08 MiB) Downloaded 73 times
31 march 1.fpdl
(2.07 MiB) Downloaded 74 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah overall it looks great. Go ahead and make another datalog this weekend sometime and we'll see how it looks. If it stays good, I think we can call it for now.
akanep16

Post by akanep16 »

I get this random one sometimes, but I noticed today i was going over railroad tracks and i was last time i saw it too lol im thinking its a clunk from that picking up.
Attachments
04 april.fpdl
(4.24 MiB) Downloaded 77 times
akanep16

Post by akanep16 »

and heres today not hitting any bumps lol just normal driving to work.
Attachments
4 april 1.fpdl
(6.07 MiB) Downloaded 88 times
akanep16

Post by akanep16 »

Well never mind that theory I had 2 knocks today just driving. I can send the logs later on. I do think maybe they are false though because I didn’t have any issues before and I’m just seeing a few random ones now not every time.