timing synch.

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
b20luda

timing synch.

Post by b20luda »

i have my timing set at 16 at the distributor...yet hondata reads 18 this is with the stock P74 base map loaded now if i change the values in the table to 16 it will read 16...is this the right way to sych the timing? cause what about the next cells over? is this really the right timing number at idle and other areas in the table...more insight on how this works would be great....i tryed searching thanks...

info about the car
PR4 ecu (93) S300
91 prelude b21, conversion harness to OBD1
everything else works great no probs i just wanna make sure this is right before i start tuning...
turbotegb18c

Post by turbotegb18c »

What i do is set everything to 16, so that both the hondata and timing at distributor both reads 16.

Basically, datalog, set it to 16 in the tables, and go sync the distributor to 16 degrees. If you were previously at 16 degrees, then that would mean your now at 14 because you set the values in the table from 18 to 16. Understand? Hope that helps. Paul
b20luda

Post by b20luda »

that dosent make sense...if u change it in the tables it will be changed at the distributor also if the timing really is changing it will show when u shine the timing light if i use my timing light its at 16 degrees....am i wrong or what someone that knows for sure please respond..
oscar93turbo

Post by oscar93turbo »

I don't know how it works, but I'm having the same problem.

If someone knows please post.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

With the engine fully warmed up and the engine at the factory specified idle speed you should adjust the distributor with a timing light to match what your tables are set to. It may be helpfull when doing this to set the entire lowcam ignition table to all ahve the same numbers to avoid any interpolation.
turbotegb18c

Post by turbotegb18c »

b20luda wrote:that dosent make sense...if u change it in the tables it will be changed at the distributor also if the timing really is changing it will show when u shine the timing light if i use my timing light its at 16 degrees....am i wrong or what someone that knows for sure please respond..
Basically, you want to match your distributor to what hondata is showing. At idle, normal values are set at 18.5 degrees in hondata tables. So your datalog will show 18.5. If you can syn your distributor to 18.5, great! What i like to do is set hondata tables to 16 degrees and sync my distributor to 16 degrees outside the car.
b20luda

Post by b20luda »

ok i get it...thanks..simpler than i thought.. any reason why u do it at 16 instead of 18.5 like whats in the basemaps
RMS

Post by RMS »

16 degrees coincides with the center of the stock timing mark, and that is the timing recommended for stock engines.
RaVer Motorsports (559) 733-4711
ravermotorsports@earthlink.net
Jaker

Post by Jaker »

Don't forget guys when you're setting the ignition timing on Civics and Intergas, that you have to run the jumper on the code checking plug so the ECU does not try and alter the ignition timing at all.
Victory

Jumper plug

Post by Victory »

Is it true that you need to use the jumper on the Civic. In particular I've got an 89" CRX with S300. I was told you don't need to jump it when using this program.

Sounds wrong to me but hopefully someone here can tell me.

Thank you.
puretuning

Post by puretuning »

RMS wrote:16 degrees coincides with the center of the stock timing mark, and that is the timing recommended for stock engines.
This is correct for a completely stock engine, the center is close to 16 degrees. If you have a motor with changed deck height, such as thicker head gasket, severly milled head or an adjusted cam gear, to achieve 16 degrees base timing the distributor may not be centered any more.

The Jumper in civics and integras pulls any additional timing that the factory ecu adds over base. With the hondata since you can monitor the timing with the display feature in the S-manager there is no need for the jumper. By setting the entire low vtec timing map to 16 in the hondata and synching the distributor to 16 degrees on your light while the engine is completely warmed up, you should be spot on.

Here is the HONDATA Procedure right from there web page

Set the Ignition Timing

When setting the ignition timing make sure the idle speed is low enough that the ECU is not adding advance. Otherwise it is possible to set the ignition timing as much as 10 degrees retarded. The ignition timing should be set with the engine at normal temperature.

To find out if the engine speed is low enough put a timing light on the engine and increase the revs slowly by 100 rpm. If the idle speed is too high then you will observe that the ignition timing advancing as the engine speed increases. If this happens then decrease the idle speed. Normally you will need to remove the plug from the idle valve in order for the engine to idle slow enough (usually 500-600 rpm is the right engine speed).

If the crank pulley is non-standard, and does not have the factory timing marks, then new timing marks need to be made on the pulley. If you have a dial-back timing light then only the TDC mark needs to be made. Otherwise measure the radius and distance between TDC and timing marks on the stock pulley and apply the same ratio to the aftermarket pulley. E.g. The stock pulley has a radius of 71mm and the 15 degree reference mark is 18.3mm from the TDC mark. The replacement pulley has a radius of 59.5mm, so the reference mark should be 18.3/71*59.5 = 15.3mm from the TDC mark. It is recommend with replacement crank pulleys that the TDC mark is confirmed using a dial gauge to find TDC for #1 cylinder.
http://hondata.com/techtuning.html