Fg2 K20Z3 Need Help with Calibration

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
LakeRace

Re: Fg2 K20Z3 Need Help with Calibration

Post by LakeRace »

Sounds good, I appreciate all of your help, I can probably get booked on a dyno sometime soon if there’s nothing that you can do:) I understand your frustration
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

If you have a local tuner, ask them if the have "audible knock detection equipment". If they say no, depending on their mentality, they might just raise the knock sensitivity tables so the ECU won't register knock. So check with them first. I can raise the tables so it doesn't register the knock right now, but morally I don't think that's the right move. If it isn't false knock, then you're going to begin to damage the engine over time. So finding out if it's legit knock is really important.
LakeRace

Post by LakeRace »

Cant get in for a tune on a dyno for a while, is there anything we can do until then? Maybe I could switch to Shell 91, i’m running 91 at costco right now
LakeRace

Post by LakeRace »

Here's a datalog on 94 octane on rev2, still a lot of knock but it seems to run great, but at the beginning of my throttle sometimes it bogs, maybe from the knock control?
Attachments
datalog0007.fpdl
(3.46 MiB) Downloaded 56 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah that's an intense amount of knock. The ignition tables start off for 91, and we've reduced some, yet still getting a lot of knock on 94. You're probably right about the bog, at least contributing to it. It's pulling a lot of timing to try to stop the knock per OEM strategy. I can turn all that off, but again, if it is real knock I just don't feel comfortable doing that. If we knew it's false knock that's one thing, but without knowing for sure it's just too much of a crap shoot.
LakeRace

Post by LakeRace »

I understand, I’ll probably get it in for a dyno tune soon, you think anything would improve if i changed my knock sensors out?
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

It's possible changing the sensor could help, but I don't like telling people to spend money and not be sure it's going to fix the issue. The OEM knock sensor is pretty pricey. If you want to get a new sensor we can always inspect it and see how it looks with a new sensor, so if you want to try that let me know. I just can't say it will help for sure, therefore I can't justify telling you to do it and possibly waste your money.

Also, please don't just focus on a dyno tune, you need to find a tuner with audible knock detection equipment. Otherwise, depending on the tuner, they will just raise your knock sensitivity tables so the ECU won't record knock. Keep that in mind, that doesn't mean it's not knocking anymore, just that they raised the sensor threshold value to record a knock. Sort of like putting ear protection on the sensor so it doesn't hear so well. I would discuss with the tuner that you have existing knock and unsure whether it's false or actual knock. Then see what they say. You can always let me know too, if you do get it tuned. I can look over a datalog and the calibration for you. I pray that they will take care of you, I've had about all I can take with tuners not caring about you guys and doing the bare minimum for you.

But yes, if you end up getting a new sensor we can certainly see how it looks. If the knock becomes reasonable then we know that was the issue, if it doesn't then it's something else.
LakeRace

Post by LakeRace »

Sounds good, maybe i’ll start with the sensor:) I’ll get back about that
LakeRace

Post by LakeRace »

Honestly if you want to desensitize the sensor a bit i’m more than okay with that:)
LakeRace

Post by LakeRace »

A little bit shouldn’t hurt, just to get the knock control down
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Unfortunately it would take more than a little to do that with that much knock. I can stop it from pulling timing, but my concern is the knock could go up in that case. Which is what lowering the knock control would do. So if it is real knock, we're making the problem worse which is my fear.
LakeRace

Post by LakeRace »

We could try it and see how the knocks look maybe?
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Okay. PM me your email address, I don't put calibration on the forum with modified tables like that. I don't want other people downloading them and not understanding what has been done.
LakeRace

Post by LakeRace »

Okay, i’ll only do one datalog on it and see what happens.:)
LakeRace

Post by LakeRace »

Did you ever end up sending the tune?