'Dear EFICU'

Calibrations for FlashPro Manager - Use all calibrations at your own risk (dyno tuning recommended)

eskonanu

Re: 'Dear EFICU'

Post by eskonanu »

You do not have to apologize, my friend. Yes, you're exactly right, I went with the Injen CAI. I moved MAF sensor over, it's entirely possible it didn't seal all the way - I could have screwed something up. It's definitely running weird lol. As always, you know best. I grabbed another log today, but I doubt it's much different than what I've uploaded already.

Let me know what you think, THANKS!
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

No I don't think it's you, I think it's the ECU strategy. Most intakes like to be tuned on the MAP sensor (speed density). So now you have a more proper CAI, the MAF sensor doesn't read properly. Give this one a drive when you can. It might be time to go in and tune it the proper route, but take this one for a spin and see if it drives a lot better. I'm sure it will.
Eskonanu.SD.Rev03 (Blended)(Vtec4600).fpcal
(22.95 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
eskonanu

Post by eskonanu »

Oh man, I'm pumped! I'll get you a log tomorrow!
eskonanu

Post by eskonanu »

God dammit, she feel great! 200% better!!! Uploading a datalog from the drive this morning, I'll get a 3rd gear pull after work today on the way home.
Attachments
datalog1.Eskonanu.SD.Rev03 (Blended)(Vtec4600).052522.fpdl
(6.02 MiB) Downloaded 55 times
eskonanu

Post by eskonanu »

Hey hey hey, I managed to get a couple good pulls I think on the drive home.
Attachments
datalog2.Eskonanu.SD.Rev03 (Blended)(Vtec4600).052522.fpdl
(5.5 MiB) Downloaded 57 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yep, that was definitely the issue. It looks a lot better. I made some fuel adjustments to tighten things up, take this one for a spin when you can. Glad it looks and drives better. It's nice when it's an easy fix.
Eskonanu.SD.Rev04 (Blended)(Vtec4600).fpcal
(23.09 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
eskonanu

Post by eskonanu »

Woohooo! Thank you, good sir! I will absolutely let you know!
eskonanu

Post by eskonanu »

Hey hey, hope everyone's Memorial day was good. I got a DL today, with a pull. Still feelin' good! Mucho gracias!!
Attachments
datalog1.Eskonanu.SD.Rev03 (Blended)(Vtec4600).053122.fpdl
(5.45 MiB) Downloaded 54 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Looks solid man, take it for one more drive when you can. If it looks as consistent, we might be there for now. But we'll see.
eskonanu

Post by eskonanu »

Hello and happy Wednesday! Got a couple logs today, there's a WOT on the second one if you wanna skip right to the good stuff. Still feels good!

Wanted to run a couple questions by you, purely out of my own curiosity and not at all out of any concern. I stupidly and ignorantly thought that I would be able to teach myself the finer points of tuning - I realized pretty quickly how naïve that was. BUT, I want to at least have a very rudimentary, fundamental knowledge of the numbers and what they mean - more so that I might be able to see if something goes 'wrong'.

- What sensors, if any, should I be watching to tell me that the car is happy? My first thoughts would be oil pressure, intake / coolant temps, knock count...and maybe fuel trims and/or AFM? From what I can see, the 8th gen SI has to have an oil pres. sensor, but I can't get the FP to read it to me. For knock, I don't know if there's an acceptable number or if ANY knock is bad? For the trim levels, I was seeing ~25% ST trims before you made adjustments - now I'll see a few percent here and there...that's good, yes? In my mind, it makes me think that the car is getting just the right amount to drink and breathe - I could be thinking of this wrong. For AFM, it's pretty consistently sitting around 14.7, which is optimal (I think?).

- I've seen full throttle shifting come up from time to time, to me it seems like that'd be hella unnecessary wear on the clutch / transmission. What is physically changed on the car by simply 'checking a box'? lol I just can't wrap my head around it.

- only one more question I think...drumroll...I think I understand MAF and MAP atleast in a basic sense, but you kinda blew my mind with a hybrid of the two. How does that...work? What would happen if say, she lost a sensor that affected whatever calculations are being done for one or the other...would she still run?

I know that's a whole lot haha, feel free to just not acknowledge anything you don't feel like getting into. Thank you, my guy. You are a legend.
Attachments
datalog2.Eskonanu.SD.Rev03 (Blended)(Vtec4600).060122.fpdl
(4.64 MiB) Downloaded 53 times
datalog1.Eskonanu.SD.Rev03 (Blended)(Vtec4600).060122.fpdl
(6.27 MiB) Downloaded 58 times
eskonanu

Post by eskonanu »

Oh no, I went too hard lol. Hope everyone is having a good weekend! Be safe!
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Sorry I didn't realize you made a post on the first...

Yeah you can't make adjustments until you have the settings right in your FP manager. You don't want to run the default settings for fuel recommendations because the software if generic. You have to set it up for the platform you wish to tune. Once you have that, the fuel tuning couldn't be more straightforward.

Knock and AFR are really the only ones you need to watch, well that and fuel trims. You can watch the knock control too if you want. But the knock control sort of goes hand in hand with knock. Or tells you it's hearing noise in a certain area and thinks knock might occur. AFR and knock though would the two main ones to watch. Acceptable number of knock is hard to say, you're more looking for common knock that happens in the same area over and over. Random knock isn't too big of a deal, but if it's happening in an area consistently then you want to address it.

-25% fuel trims is too much really. You should be consistently in the single digits. The closer the trims the less fuel being added or trimmed, which usually means better mileage and drivability of course. And 14.64 is the goal for part throttle, at least with the gas we get here. Other countries have different ethanol ratings and what not. So yeah, 14.7 is stoichiometric for gasoline.

Full throttle shifting allows the ECU to compensate on gear changes for shifting to occur with your foot to the floor. It will cut fuel and timing as need while allowing you to keep your foot to the floor. You can run it without damaging anything when you use it sparingly, long term abuse could cause damage.

The hybrid calibration is more for stock intake cars, because they tend to react well using the MAF sensor for part throttle fueling. Once you add an intake, or big tune intake especially, the MAF won't get a good reading. But in a hybrid calibration, it will run on the MAF sensor until a certain manifold pressure is read by the MAP sensor, then it switches to speed density for WOT fueling. It basically gives us better control of the WOT fuel by using the fuel tables instead of MAF scaling. You can tune completely on the MAF, or completely on the MAP sensor speed density, but the hybrid sort of gives you the best of both worlds when you have the stock intake. There isn't really a performance advantage per say, meaning with the stock intake it won't really make more power on the MAF or the MAP, it's just a tuning style or drivability type decision.

As far as a sensor failing, is the MAF sensor were to fail in part throttle it would sort of chase the fuel trims a little, or a lot. I haven't seen a MAF fail, but I have seen one give a poor reading and not respond to my changes. Once I went to speed density it cleaned up perfect. That again is what I mean by a tuning choice, sometimes you have to work with what you're given. I haven't seen a MAP sensor fail. If it were, I would think when you go WOT it would kick you out of open loop operation which would feel like the car stumbling and the throttle closing. When the MAP pressure doesn't mean the pressure threshold for WOT, it will fall on it's face. Again I haven't seen one do that, so that's a theoretical answer. The main thing to watch out for is the primay o2 sensor failing. That seems to be one I've come across right. Which then tuning WOT in open or closed loop becomes your main concern. That's a whole nother' story there.

Those datalogs looked good. One had a couple knock, one didn't so keep an eye out for knock. If you see some let me know.
Jose22

Post by Jose22 »

i need help with my 2012 honda si which i just installed skunk 2 cai and car running rich i also have skunk2 dp and q300 dp need baae map car can not run rich but also get the most power out of the af parts thank you