Problem With Some 2021 FK8’s not making enough boost

FK2 Civic Type R 2015-2017, FK8 Civic Type R 2017-2021, FL5 Civic Type R 2023+ and Integra Type S 2024+
mpd0

Problem With Some 2021 FK8’s not making enough boost

Post by mpd0 »

Hey all, I have a 2021 Civic Type R that is FBO and tuned in person by FK8TD, so it’s a reputable tuner that knows what he’s doing. A problem we ran into is that the ECU limits the top end boost to 21-22 psi instead of 24-25. Top end is above 6k rpms. We determined that it is one of the rare cases that some of the 21’s have where the ECU wants to protect the catalytic converter (that doesn’t exist btw) by limiting the EGT by limiting the boost. Hondata doesn’t offer a table that we can manipulate to truly disable the EGT limits (yes they’re “disabled” but the problem persists). My only option to continue the build and make the power I should be making is to put a $7000 stand alone ECU in or put and older FK8 ECU in. I don’t know if putting in an older 2019 or prior ECU would work. I would like the advice of you folks as to what I can do. My tuner has also discovered that going big turbo doesn’t change anything either. John is my tuner but Derek Robinson has also acknowledged the issue. Only certain 2021 ECU’s with the serial number 37820-5BF-A34 have the issue.

Here’s what Derek Said: “ I've seen this exact phenomenon in the past couple months with the 20-21 ECU's, unfortunately. It seems to have popped up around the same time Hondata's automatic file type conversion was implemented in the software (but that may be coincidental).”

I just want to be able to make full top end boost because I’d dyno 20-30whp lower than what I should be making. It would also make teaching 550 on a better turbo impossible without a MOTEC which is 7 grand.

John said that Hondata is working on a fix but that was over a month ago and I’d prefer to hear it from them myself. There’s other FK8 owners who have messaged me to ask if Hondata has provided a solution. Hopefully I can bring them good news soon.
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Problem With Some 2021 FK8’s not making enough boost

Post by Hondata »

The 2018 vs 2021 ECU was tested on the dyno back to back on the same vehicle and made the same boost and power.

If you still want us to investigate further then you need to provide calibrations and datalogs.
Hondata
d_butl3r

Post by d_butl3r »

done plenty of 2020+ and haven't noticed issue.
also looked through my files and found a 21 with upgraded turbo and flex, 28psi coming in 28 psi redline. PA was 101kpa

maybe send kal and log to hondata to see if they see anything abnormal.
d_butl3r

Post by d_butl3r »

you can also understate things if it's an emergency and boost will go up... you will have to remap a few things if you try this approach...
mpd0

Post by mpd0 »

Hondata wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:05 pm The 2018 vs 2021 ECU was tested on the dyno back to back on the same vehicle and made the same boost and power.

If you still want us to investigate further then you need to provide calibrations and datalogs.
Absolutely I can send you some datalogs. I will have to wait for a dry day and I’ll send some your way. My tuner is John Pierro from FK8TD and he said he didn’t know why it won’t make the full 24-25 psi it should. I have an unlocked version of my tune I can send also. Where should I send these files?