fried ecu?

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
michael251003

fried ecu?

Post by michael251003 »

hi people,
got an ep3 which has a kpro inside and drove about 15 mins, popped into a shop and came back out to the car struggling to start, after pumping the accelerator to get it going. it fired up but was running really terrible and insanely rich as all i could smell was fuel. the car wouldn’t go past 3k rpm. i always take my laptop with me so plugged it in and kmanager was saying error and wasn’t talking to the ecu. tried 2 different diagnostic tools and both of them wasn’t finding the ecu. it’s in the garage till thursday but just wondering if anyone’s had a problem like that before or knows how to fix it?
thanks
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: fried ecu?

Post by Spunkster »

Have you checked the voltage at the ECU with a multimeter when cranking? What is it at?
michael251003

Post by michael251003 »

unfortunately i haven’t been able to. the AA took the car on sunday as i didn’t wanna drive it back just because of it being that rich. they took it to a garage and i wont get it back until thursday. but i’m worried they don’t find anything because nothings reading
michael251003

Post by michael251003 »

the garage said they couldn’t find the fualt as to why the car wasn’t running right. we’ve pulled the spark plugs, they are black which is understandable with it running rich, did a compression test to make sure it wasn’t an engine problem. did a test with the map sensor today, while engine running to see if there is a difference just in case the map sensor had gone but that wasn’t the fualt as the engine ran even worse and idled at 600rpm. we’re really stuck on what the problem can be but only pointing towards the ecu is the problem so i’m thinking of sending the ecu off to get tested. has anyone got any other suggestions? thanks
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

When you datalog are there any error codes?

Have you tried re-uploading the calibration to the ECU?
michael251003

Post by michael251003 »

we get nothing from the obd port, when plugging in a diagnostics tool, it doesn’t come up with anything and fails to find the ecu.
when we plugged in the ecu to the laptop and using kmanager, it comes up with error in the bottom left corner
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

What is the serial number that is on the K-Pro board inside the ECU?
denzo

Post by denzo »

I’ve had this problem. I think it lost its calibration. You need to keep trying to get the calibration to upload. Once it does it should run right. This happened to me when mines crashed mid upload. Car cranked and took a while to fire up but once it did it went into limp mode, sputtering wouldn’t rev above 3k and had a cel. I tried scanning to see the code but there was no communication with the ecu. I had to uninstall kmanager and reinstall it. Once I did the kmanager software was communicating with the ecu again. I promptly re uploaded the stock calibration and everything worked again. I’ve left it like that ever since. Still having upload and datalog issues at this time and just made a forum post. It sounds like you may be experiencing the same problem I have.