oh man, problems galore! Help?

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
pvt_awol

oh man, problems galore! Help?

Post by pvt_awol »

alright guys, I thought I was big and bad, and I installed my S300 myself. I know I managed to lift at least one trace off the p28 board. When I first plugged in the unit, it would connect to the PC and even be online, but it would not UPLOAD any maps. It kept having errors. So, I took it apart again to check out everything, and I noticed the lifted trace. I "rigged" it back to work temporarily (it was a trace to one of the 4 pins from the underside of the USB connection)

This time, I fire it all up, and the maps seem to upload. (if I upload a map, then download it back, it'll pull the whatever map I uploaded)

None of the sensor graphs work. I need to take the cover back off the ECU to check for sure, but I'm getting a solid red light, and it blinks when I upload, then back to solid. The car starts and runs, but with a CEL, and it runs like it has the P28 on an LS motor. I'm happy to give you more details, and even pics if you want. Any suggestions on how to make sure everything is OK? If I have to, I'll send the ecu to hondata to get fixed, but I'd like to see if maybe I'm just doing something wrong. I don't want to start tuning, until I know if everything is kosher. I was figuring that if I loaded up the stock P74 map it would run the LS swap just like stock, and with no CEL.... but this is not the case. Help?
tboostdsi

Post by tboostdsi »

send your ecu into hondata and hope nothing is too serious. not to single you out but this is an example for everyone that doesnt know what they are doing to send their ecu's into hondata. i'm sure gad i convinced myself to send it in to hondata cause i almost tried soldiering it myself too. good luck man and your not the only one that has problems when doing this....
Last edited by tboostdsi on Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pvt_awol

Post by pvt_awol »

well, actually, I have a degree in computer science. I spent the good part of the first 2 years in college learning how to do this stuff. But, I still managed to lift a damn trace.... CRAP!!!! (yeah, I was pissed)

anyway, yeah, if I do send it in, what kind of price are we talkin'? (bear in mind I just dropped the 600 for the s300..... )
tboostdsi

Post by tboostdsi »

man, i'm glad i didnt try to do itmyself cause i'm lacking the 2 year degree in comp science so i would have really f ed it up. its 100 for converting the p28 to be compatible with the s300. that includes shipping. hopefully the ecu is salvageable or its gonna cost mucho mas. hopefully hondata will reply to you and they will be able to provide more info. good luck to you man.
pvt_awol

Post by pvt_awol »

Ok here is what I got so far:

when the s300 is connected to the laptop, and the ignition is on, the red LED is solid. (there is also another green LED that is further away on the daughter board that is also on)

When I upload to the s300, it accepts it, and stores it. It will also download back to the laptop whatever calibration I upload. So, that part seems to work. When I download, or upload, the green LED flashes for the time that the ecu is doing it's thing, then it turns off, and I'm back to a solid red light.

I read this in another thread (I was actually using the search function) and the order of my LED's is:

USB ->green ->red (and then at the far corner of the daughterboard, another green one)

Here is my deal, I can't get any sensor reading onto the laptop, and if I change the parameters of the bin file ( I tried to make a 2k rpm rev limit just to test it out) none of the changes take effect. I'm also throwing a CEL. Help me? I'm thinking that the s300 install is probably alright. Everything seems to work, communication and upload/download. But none of the settings take effect. Do I just suck with the software? Is there something super simple that I'm missing?

oh yeah, and the software isn't showing me any codes. I'm guessing that this is to do with it not showing any sensor readings also? I'm researching and trying everything I can think of.
tboostdsi

Post by tboostdsi »

so what is your cel light. if you can connect to the ecu you should be able to read what the engine cel code is.
pvt_awol

Post by pvt_awol »

it won't tell me what the CEL is. (I could do it the old fashioned way and just check it with the CEL itself..... but that is why I bought the Hondata.....) I'm sure the CEL is going to be lack of VTEC solenoid (or whatever the technical term is for it)

anyway, I've been playing with it for a little while now. This is the assumption I'm making.

The Hondata is getting power, and communicating with the PC.

it's like the ECU and the Hondata aren't working together. I'm sure the CEL I'm getting is the result of a p28 being hooked up to an LS motor. It doesn't read VTEC, so it throws a code right out of the gate.

So, when I upload, and download, and change parameters, the Hondata accepts it. But it doesn't do anything to adjust the ECU. Almost like the Hondata is just not even hooked up to the ECU. (but still managing to get power, and data stream through the USB.... I'm so lost. Did I just forget to do a step during the install? Is there a master command that will "erase" the factory settings and let the Hondata take over?)
tboostdsi

Post by tboostdsi »

hondata will get on tomorrow and help you out, spunk should reply with a link or previous post to help you with the prob. most likely he will tell you to send the ecu in.
pvt_awol

Post by pvt_awol »

that sucks.... I hate to spend more time and money. But, gotta do what you gotta do.

One thing, when I followed all the directions, there is still an extra resistor left over from the s300 package. Is that the thing I'm missing? I can't find it in any directions that have been posted.
tboostdsi

Post by tboostdsi »

yea, its never ending, i purchased the s300 thinking all of my problems with the s200 would just go away, its not that easy. now i have a pretty much brand new s200 system for sale.
pvt_awol

Post by pvt_awol »

hey Hondata guys. I'm willing to send this to you and pay for it to be fixed right, but I'd really like to try to do it myself.

If we can try to troubleshoot over the forum here at least a little, that would be cool.

I'm figuring that the s300 is working perfectly. It gets power, communicates with the laptop, uploads/downloads just fine.

since it's the ECU it doesn't seem to be communicating with, is there a specific area of the install I should be looking at? Maybe it's as simple as one of the jumpers? I've looked over my solder joints, and they all look good. I would imagine that something is working. I'm really upset by that lifted trace, but when I soldered it back, the upload problem I had, went away, so I assumed that part is fixed. Suggestions? If I have to send it in, will it be the standard price on your site? I see 100 for overnight?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Post a closeup picture of bothe bottom of the board and the top of the board with the s300 removed so we can see what you have done.
pvt_awol

Post by pvt_awol »

I will do that right now. I'll do closeups of the specific things I did, and I'll show you the lifted trace.
pvt_awol

Post by pvt_awol »

well, maybe i won't do it right now. I'll get 'em tommorrow. The camera I have isn't showing the detail I want it to.
pvt_awol

Post by pvt_awol »

Ok, here are some pics.

This one shows a possible problem I may have overlooked. It's the latch from the front of the board, and then I circled where I think it looks like a solder joint:

Here is a pic of the 4 pin USB connection and the lifted trace. I circled the trace in the next pic. The trace is soldered back into place, and as I said b4, it was causing a problem (laptop wouldn't upload maps to hondata) but, now that is fixed:

The remaining are pics of the solder connection on the back of the board, the 24 pin bridge, and the jumper and resistor. Also, a pic of where I removed the datalogging resistor: