vtec spool error issue with s300

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
Praylewd powr

vtec spool error issue with s300

Post by Praylewd powr »

I had a previous issue with the spool error code coming up after I had my ecu socketed by hondata. So I have disabled the spool error check in the newer version of smanager but after putting the car on the dyno I am seeing a torque issue that wasn't there before. It appears that the torque is dropping dramatically (75ft lbs more than when I ran the s200 with no ecu issues 6 months ago) after the vtec engagement point. I have swapped solenoids AND confirmed that both solenoids are "clicking" with a 12v source. I am getting no codes, etc and am wondering what else I can do to confirm that the cams are in fact running the high lobes? Should I set the vtec very low and see if I can hear it? It is a boosted setup and very hard to hear anyways (open dump). Any info would help.

Is the spool error issue possibly causing it to not run vtec but just not throw a code?

Thanks in advance,

Duane Leedell
Canada
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

What sort of ECU is it? Are you using an adapter harness? If the ECU supports the spool check and also generates an error, then there is a problem which will not go away from just disabling the error. Work through the manual for checking the spool valve - you'll need to measure the resitances of the wiring to the coil, and also the coil resistance.
Hondata
Praylewd powr

Post by Praylewd powr »

well that is bad news. The issue is (if you look at my previous posts on this spool check error) that the error only occurred after I had my ecu prepped with the s300 and boost control by hondata. It is a p28 that was previously socketed for an s200. Immediately after I received the new s300 in my p28 I installed it and found that I was getting this spool check error. I was told by hondata that it has occurred occasionally with the s300s and to download the latest smanager and disable spool check. This sounds like the root of my problem as I know it is not the solenoid. I do not know how to troubleshoot this circuit at all. Can I send the ecu to you for repair or replacement.

Thanks for the fast replies.
Duane
Praylewd powr

Post by Praylewd powr »

Is there a way I could use the same p28 ecu and wire the solenoid up to an aux input? What would that involve? It would save me having to replace the ecu...

Duane
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Can you test this ecu in another vehicle and see if the same problem persists?
Praylewd powr

Post by Praylewd powr »

Well, I lucked out and found another ecu to test on my car. On the way to get it, I checked mine out again...threw the same spool 21 code. Then I swapped his p28/s300 in the car and the spool error is GONE. The vtec engages like it did last season with my s200 on the same ecu. So my only conclusion is since this error occurred immediately after I received my p28 back from hondata, it must have been damaged somehow. I don't know enough about the circuits on the board and locations, but could it have been damaged while it was being prepped for boost control.

Hondata, is there anything you can do for me regarding this issue? I can give you my information if you like: the serial number of the s300 is:

Please let me know what type of help, if any, you can be in this situation. The ecu that I had sent in was in perfect running order and had been running an s200 so that socketing was removed, and the s300 installed.

Looking forward to your reply,

Duane

(one other issue: when i swapped ecus with the other known good p28, the car ran very rich and I had to redo the fuel corrections. I assumed you could just load any map onto the ecu and it would run as it did in any other similar ecu but this wasn't the case)
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Socketing does not affect the operation of the spool valve. With socketing it either works 100%, or the ECU runs in limp mode.

Yes, I see you point from the post about the original problem. Some ECUs do not support the spool check circuitry, which is why you were adviced to disable the check.

How did the ECU run between March and July?
Hondata
Praylewd powr

Post by Praylewd powr »

the ecu had the check light error 21 from immediately after I recevied it in the springtime. But since I parked the car from sept to march, I didn't notice the power difference not having vtec. I am embarrassed to say that but the car runs 300ft lbs and my vtec point is 5500rpm so I only lost the flatline portion of the torque curve high up in the band. I never drive there much unless racing and it wasn't until now that I put the car on the dyno. The strange thing is the maps in smanager go from low to high cam (and no code when checking off the disable spool error check) and datalog all the afrs in both the high and low cam. And with the noise of the setup (open dump) you can't hear vtec anyways. But after swapping the ecu, a noticeable difference is evident and the vtec does in fact physically engage now because the difference is quite noticeable when swapping immediately between the two ecus. I went back and set the engagement point at 3500rpm right before boost and you can hear the high cam swap....but only with the new ecu. On mine, there is no change and no afr change when the ecu says it is in vtec. Is it possible this is an s300 hardware issue? When I swapped ecus, I swapped in my buddies p28 and s300 and only used my map on his s300?

Long story short, the car has run the same the entire time I have had the s300 installed in my p28, and it has always run low cam. Either way, I am hoping for some help in addressing this concern because the unit has not functioned properly since purchase. I hope it is not in fact the s300 but I will swap my s300 into his ecu to test that route also.

Duane
Praylewd powr

Post by Praylewd powr »

Can you give me a contact name and phone number so I can better explain this issue and/or possible repair/replacement? It would be much appreciated. I would like to resolve this as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Duane
Can
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

310 782 8278

Anyone here should be able to help you.
Hondata
Praylewd powr

Post by Praylewd powr »

thanks for the reply.

Any word as to why I would need to alter the tune on my map after I uploaded it onto another p28 ECU with s300? The firmware was the same, etc.....and I was going from a p28 to a p28. It was very strange, not only did I have to change my fuel multiplier, but I also had to alter some of the fuel values in opposite directions (ie: add fuel under boost, drastically take fuel out in part throttle) to get the tune the same as before. I thought one map would run an engine the same using different p28's/s300's??

And I found the issue and am going to have the local dealer send another virgin p28 ecu in to hondata for socketing. What is the turnaround time?

Duane
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

One calibration will run an engine the same no matter what ecu, or s300 is used as long as the ECU is functioning properly. Turn around for ecu socketing is 1-2 days from the time it is received.