User Interface Suggestions

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
jew

User Interface Suggestions

Post by jew »

i am a programmer myself. well, i'm in school for it anyways. i have a few gripes about the smanager ui. whats up with the I and D. i mean i get it....increase decrease.....but as a programmer, i know that one of the main things you want to do is make a user friendly intuitive interface that minimizes button clicking. look at where i and d are located on the keyboard. does it seem logical to put two functions, that are so similar in what they do, so many keys apart from each other? you could have made it SO much easier like (just one example) having the entire thing useable with the numberpad.

numlock on switch between maps using 1,2,3,4
numlock off and you use the arrows on the numpad to move around the map and pgup/pgdown on the numpad to change values.

or better yet, add the ability for users to setup their own hotkeys.

one of the few things i really dislike about this piece of software is the lack of effort put into making it user friendly. that and the help file is really lacking. in most cases it doesn't provide any more info than what can be inferred from the window you're looking at in the first place.

don't get me wrong, i love the work that has been done so far and it has a much more "complete" feel than other tuning software i have used, but it would be nice if you could address these few issues.

one other thing (kind of off-topic) but it would be nice if you could at some point include the option to disable the ignition unless certain parameters are met to work as an anti-theft device. like the brake pedal has to be pushed and the a/c has to be on. like there could be a list of possible parameters that the user could setup that all have to be met before the car can be started.
Birdley42008

Post by Birdley42008 »

I completely agree, I spent good money on s300, wtf is up with these basic controls and all the errors!

Bump, I want some answers!
Funbar

Post by Funbar »

That's kind of a really good idea! :D
FrodoGT

Post by FrodoGT »

I agree.

I have used systems that use the arrow keys to move through the map and the A and S keys to add or subtract fuel from the tables. I think not only was it simple to remember, but the keys are literally right next to each other.. which made it as simple as resting my fingers on them, then navigating the map with my other hand on the arrow keys.

Trying to fumble with finding I and D in a moving vehicle is not only annoying and hard, it takes time. I mostly tune at night and I have to drive around with the dome light on at all times just so I can find the keys because I am constantly moving my hands around trying to hit all the shortcuts, like ctrl+L. Perhaps this could be ctrl C, so that I don't have to move my hand to clear the datalog maps?

Just some suggestions.

I do love the software though, just not the user inputs.
FrodoGT

Post by FrodoGT »

Also I would love to see a system in place to lock out the ignition. That would make the systems value to me almost double just knowing that someone cant just bust my steering column and get away with thousands of dollars of my work.

I know if a thief wants it, they will get it. but why make it easy? :P
V-Spec race development

Post by V-Spec race development »

I agree on this one too,
inteGReddy

Post by inteGReddy »

id just like someone to make a homebrew psp compatible version of smanager. my laptop battery doesnt last long and i hate using the car adapter!
jew

Post by jew »

how about it, hondata?

yes? no? i'll think about it? f off?
FrodoGT

Post by FrodoGT »

Seems like an eff off?

Bump anyway. Some great suggestions in here that I think would make people change their mind when they say the hondata interface isn't user friendly.
Martian

Post by Martian »

For you guys looking for a security function here is what you do. Set up a secondary table and change all your timing and fuel tables. enable switch "on" to B5 or a hidden switch to a service connector. Instant ECU Enable/Disable. I also recomend having the dead map tuned to start and run at idle, retard and flood the motor above 1000rpms. This will waste the thiefs time making them 1)easier to catch 2)less likely to cause more damage to the car 3)avoid them looking for the standard fuel pump switch mod, dizzy relay mod, ect.

Have fun :)
This idea was born from a convo between myself and Honda Ghandi.
jew

Post by jew »

great idea, i never thought of that :)
El Verdugo

Post by El Verdugo »

Great tips on this thread.

Here are some of my gripes as well:

It would be kewl if it be done like AEM and the cursors that are highlighted are the ones that are affected by the changes. so the RED quad boxes can be altered by the mere pressing of the I and D keys. Instead of having to move the cursor box to the desired place where the engine is at. Oh well one reason why one system cost X and the other Y.

Man I hope some one at Hondata looks at this thread and says hello or piss off at least.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

El Verdugo wrote:Great tips on this thread.

Here are some of my gripes as well:

It would be kewl if it be done like AEM and the cursors that are highlighted are the ones that are affected by the changes. so the RED quad boxes can be altered by the mere pressing of the I and D keys. Instead of having to move the cursor box to the desired place where the engine is at. Oh well one reason why one system cost X and the other Y.

Man I hope some one at Hondata looks at this thread and says hello or piss off at least.
The software already has this feature and always has. Go to the edit menu and you will see. Shift-I and Shift-D
El Verdugo

Post by El Verdugo »

My apologies, and thanks for the reply.
jew

Post by jew »

Spunkster wrote: The software already has this feature and always has. Go to the edit menu and you will see. Shift-I and Shift-D
any idea if you plan to let us set up our own hotkeys? or anything else suggested in this thread?