K20A2/Crower Cams/PRC/CTRH/BC Spec 3

K-Series Programmable ECU Calibration updates / downloads
EvaUnit01

K20A2/Crower Cams/PRC/CTRH/BC Spec 3

Post by EvaUnit01 »

I noted a few days ago that i received over 120 knocks in 5th gear (most notably)as well as various gears. Even this morning, I got most of my knocks in 5th gear around 2500 and up in RPMS. Is this a temp change that's causing it? fuel? ignition? Any help cleaning up this calibration would be greatly appreciated since I work the weirdest hours in the world.
Attachments
Buddy Club2a.kal
(47.74 KiB) Downloaded 547 times
home.kdl
(763.04 KiB) Downloaded 511 times
You are nothing more...
Razathorn

Post by Razathorn »

You need to determine if this is real or false knock. This should be fairly easy to do with the naked ear while driving the car given that it happens all over the place. You might also try removing 4 degrees ignition from all cam angles in columns 7 and above to see if it has any significant impact. If it does, it is likely real knock. The ignition is hotter than stock maps, but if it was tuned correctly for your cams, it is likely correct.

If this just started, I bet one of the following things has happened:
A significant drop in octane has happened and the knock is real.
Something in the engine bay or engine itself has worked itself loose and is triggering false knock.

Given that it happens under load, my bet is that it is indeed real. An experienced ear can tell you for sure. It would be advisable to inspect your plugs for obvious signs of detonation -- it may be that you have one cylinder acting up due to an underlying physical issue such as an unreliable injector. It is also possible that you're just experiencing the full effect of winter fuel in the midwest.

If it was my car, I'd pull 4 degrees from columns 7 and above everywhere and take it out and see what my ear told me and if the log changed and go from there.

Wayne
2003 black RSX type-s / jrsc @ 12psi / methanol injection / aftercooled
cranny

Post by cranny »

try this see if its any better , i dont know where you live , or what fuel you run , but your car is running mad timing , lol:
Attachments
Buddy_Club2aupdate.kal
(47.77 KiB) Downloaded 523 times
EvaUnit01

Post by EvaUnit01 »

cranny, I live in Missouri, same as Raz. The highest we have is Shell 91 and where I live in Missouri we have BP 93.

Raz - if it is indeed the winter fuel starting, should I tune it down or just use a good octane booster (not that STP crap)
You are nothing more...
cranny

Post by cranny »

im basing this of course on my own experience , but your car is running way too much timing for 91 fuel. i took some timing out in a couple spots , load that map i posted , go do another datalog , try and make it like at least 20 minuts long , vary driving conditions. and get some WOT in there , 3rd gear from 2500rpm to redline buddy.
EvaUnit01

Post by EvaUnit01 »

I can definitely do that, I know that my WOT is fine because I dont get any knocks or anything like that. It's just my part throttle that is the bad part.
You are nothing more...
Razathorn

Post by Razathorn »

EvaUnit01 wrote:I can definitely do that, I know that my WOT is fine because I dont get any knocks or anything like that. It's just my part throttle that is the bad part.
If that's the case, you probably just need less ignition in general.
2003 black RSX type-s / jrsc @ 12psi / methanol injection / aftercooled
EvaUnit01

Post by EvaUnit01 »

Well, no dice on the new calibration, I got over 60 knocks, going up a hill in 5th gear (5 speed, sorry if i didnt mention that before cranny) I will do a more in-depth datalog and if it's something that I can't really find. Then I will more than likely post up here.
You are nothing more...
cranny

Post by cranny »

check your valve lash. take your valve cover off and have a look man. listen to engine when its runing with the hood up , check for noises of any kind.
EvaUnit01

Post by EvaUnit01 »

I will be sure to do that, in the meantime here is the datalog i did this morning. Also, the crower cams required a valve lash of .008/010 I might change it to .009/.009, people say that works best.

ps - kdl could not load, so i will try it later.
You are nothing more...
cranny

Post by cranny »

just to update this , while he was WOT and revs were climbing , his ignition between his 50 and 40 cam maps for example was so different , his ignition was jumping up and than down and up and down as the ecu was jumping between the maps. so i evened them out , took a bunch more timing out in various areas i seen as causing the trouble. hes gonna do another datalog and well see what happens. his car runs real rich but i dont even wanna atempt to tune fuel till we get rid of all or most of this knock.

did you look at his datalog and fuel map spunkster? i think the car was running massive timing for the fuel and mods hes running.

heres his map after i evened and took some more timing out. wont let us post the datalog.
Attachments
Buddy_Club2aupdate2.kal
(47.85 KiB) Downloaded 544 times
EvaUnit01

Post by EvaUnit01 »

Mods:

Crower Stage 2 3/4 Race Cams (.008 intake/.010 exhaust)
OEM Valvespring Combo
Mugen headgasket
PRC IM
Hondata IMG
AEM CAI
Comptech RH
Buddy Club Spec 3 Exhaust
You are nothing more...
cranny

Post by cranny »

i pulled enough timing out this car shouldnt be knocking anymore. his part throttle is 80% tuned , got that much done. but i informed him to have his valvetrain and lash checked out , something has gotta to be going on. from my experience , aftermarket camshafts cause nothing but a hassle and problems.