Spark plugs

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
ripsta

re:

Post by ripsta »

Ok thanks for clearing that up; I'm supprised I've never heard of this issue at the drag strips, figured this would be a big issue more so than data logging....

So just to clarify, that for our honda's you are only recommending the three plugs in the first post, nothing else?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The problem is that non resistor spark plugs cause quite large RFI, which is conducted back into the ECU. This in itself is not an apparent problem until it disrupts something else, like datalogging. So lack of symptoms does not eliminate the problem.

The three spark plugs listed in the first post is not an exhaustive list, just a few common part numbers if people don't know where else to start.
Hondata
T66crx

Post by T66crx »

NOT saying Hondata is stupid but they just need to do their testing on high HP cars to give out better info on plugs. These plugs suck that they recomend. it cost me a engine cause all the spark plugs broke cause they told me to use the 2668 plugs. all the plugs had the tab that hangs over the electrode broke off. i put in non resistor and non iridium plugs in and has worked fine ever since. same tune and same heat range plugs but the 4554 have never had a problm on my car. or other cars. i recommend 4554 the work for all the cars we tune in colorado and make 900+hp on them. just use ngk plug wires cause they work the best and my datologging works perfect with these plugs and ngk wires. and the datologging works just fine with aem, kam which is the best ems ever made with the 4554 non restor plugs. I highly recomend people to try these.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

On these plugs we have made over 900 hp on both B and K series. If you're breaking plugs look at your tuning. Do not use non-resistor plugs.
Hondata
FreshDA9

Post by FreshDA9 »

What are oem honda NGK plugs?
T66crx

Post by T66crx »

it wasn't my tuning. we used the same tune and put in the 4554s and didnt have a problem. every high hp cars in colorado use the 4554 non resistor plugs. As im sure you know Sam parks from import sports he uses them and in all his customer cars and Brent Levistad From PFI uses them and all his customers and Moe from speed image and his cutomers use them and myself use them. best plugs ever seen used in a high HP car. maybe you should try them in a car and see the results. they work amazing
T66crx

Post by T66crx »

and what do you think of those 4017s maybe we need super cold plugs in the iridium and resistor plugs. cause we all had the same problem with the 2668s braking in a perfect tuned car them put the 4554s in and runs good with out problems. we all run are gaps about 14 so if you know a good plug that will work let me know. thanks
Silverbeast

Post by Silverbeast »

T66crx wrote:it wasn't my tuning. we used the same tune and put in the 4554s and didnt have a problem. every high hp cars in colorado use the 4554 non resistor plugs. As im sure you know Sam parks from import sports he uses them and in all his customer cars and Brent Levistad From PFI uses them and all his customers and Moe from speed image and his cutomers use them and myself use them. best plugs ever seen used in a high HP car. maybe you should try them in a car and see the results. they work amazing
Colorado obviously has different tuning properties than other places. In that enviroment the thinner air makes the the lowers cylinder pressure. As the cylinder temperature de-creases, so does the plug tip temperature.

These resistor plugs have made 600+, 700+ in Texas just fine. I will say this about them, they will DEFINATLEY show pre-ignition and detanation before a non-resistor plug. I would look at that before you absolutley blame the plug for the misfortune.
darknight

Post by darknight »

I have seen many NA all motor cars running what seems to me to be very cold plugs in the range of 8 or 9 NGK. These are much colder than the stock plugs. I understand that higher compression would require a colder plug, but going from a stock 6 to 9???

Can someone explain why the majority (at least the ones i have seen) all motor drag cars run much colder plugs?
V-Spec race development

Post by V-Spec race development »

Here's some plugs that I found that may work w/ hondata as well. this is an heat range 8 and a resistor type. NGK 3992 3130 3961 5422 and here's 9 heat range: NGK 4015 3230 3194 5722
johnnyvtec

Post by johnnyvtec »

i run 4554 have not had any problem made a stock engine b18b with vtec run 11.69 at 121 with 13psi of boost have not dynoed yet just street tuned but i would say they work good as far as high hp car would definatly recomend a colder plug but for 300-550 hp aplications the 4554 will work just fine. i also have been running these plugs for over 3 years.
turbotypeR

Post by turbotypeR »

V-Spec race development wrote:Here's some plugs that I found that may work w/ hondata as well. this is an heat range 8 and a resistor type. NGK 3992 3130 3961 5422 and here's 9 heat range: NGK 4015 3230 3194 5722
i checked all of those and they are all 13/16" hex size which I don't think will fit, except for the 3230 that is the correct size hex, but it is a 16 heat range
92 civic Si
best et:9.43best mph:164
ak94gsr

Post by ak94gsr »

Are BKR7E non resistor style????
terenceng

Post by terenceng »

Are "Mitsubishi VR4 Stock 450cc Pick and hold injector" a resistor style????

Appreciate if anyone can tell me.. Thank you.
jetspeedz

Post by jetspeedz »

ak94gsr wrote:Are BKR7E non resistor style????
yes they are,

The R means resistor

In the NGK Series, the plugs get colder as the numbers increase.
BK= Series of plug
R = resistor
# = range of heat
e = (i don't know, someone chime in)
S or IX = either V power or Iridium (respectively)