VTEC not hitting!

Hondata installation questions / answers / issues.
wackyprelude

VTEC not hitting!

Post by wackyprelude »

I recently took my H23VTEC to get dyno tuned in SoCal. I'm currently running s200 on an all motor set up with a P72. The first time I had it tuned every thing went well. But but after my recent dyno tuning (at a different shop) I noticed that on my 3.5 hour drive home that VTEC was hardly hitting. It was more like a hit and miss (it would kick in when it felt like it). While on the dyno VTEC was hitting every single time. But I know that VTEC is "forced" (for lack of a better word) while it is hooked up to the dyno system. I called the guys who did the tune and I told them my issue, so they looked up my session on their computer and stated that every thing was fine and there was no way that they could of turned off my VTEC. So my mechanic replaced the VTEC solenoid and oil return assembly but still no satisfying results. As I previously stated it would kick in when it should in some gears, and other times it wouldn't kick in at all. My mechanic then stated that it could be a software problem. Is that true? The changeover of cam lobes has a distinct sound to it and I know if it's hitting or not. Thanks for any help.
MonopolyMan

Post by MonopolyMan »

Are you sure it's not kicking in? It could be that your tuners did a good job and made it a smooth transition.

It it were my car I would check the wiring coming out of the VTEC solenoid and the VTEC pressure sensor, I would also check the wiring going into the ECU. Chances are you have a loose wire.
wackyprelude

Post by wackyprelude »

Yes, it's not kickin in. I'm going to take it to my mechanic on Monday to check everything out.
MonopolyMan

Post by MonopolyMan »

This may seem as an odd question to you, but how warm does the engine get?

The reason I ask is because if it's got a low temp thermostat, the engine will run cooler, however the computer will think it's cold still and it wont engage the VTEC.
wackyprelude

Post by wackyprelude »

I ALWAYS warm up my car before going any where. I've never had a problem with VTEC until after I took it down for another tuning session.
MonopolyMan

Post by MonopolyMan »

In your gauge cluster, how high does the needle get for the temperature?
wackyprelude

Post by wackyprelude »

Being that it's digital (1995 Honda Prelude) it's normally at the half way point.
MonopolyMan

Post by MonopolyMan »

Chances are it's a sensor or a wire. But I could be wrong, I'm still new to Hondata.
wackyprelude

Post by wackyprelude »

I trailored it to my mechanic earlier since I needed him to do some other work to it. Thanks for all your input MonopolyMan.