S300 with M&W Pro10 problems

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
Rage performance

S300 with M&W Pro10 problems

Post by Rage performance »

I have a stock B16a with a GT35r. When i try to run my car i connect to the ecu with my laptop, when i free rev the car the data log would stop at around 3700 rpm. i use MSD wires with a Crane PS92 coil, M&W Pro10 ignition resistor type plugs. Can anyone help with any suggestion. I am in the Caribbean with limited Hondata support here.

Regards
Kirk
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Try a stock ditributor. More than likely what you have done wiht the ignition system is causing interference.
Rage performance

I have eliminate the stock igniter totally. I thought that there are a few guys in the state running like this with the M&W Pro10? I am planing on using a set of stock honda plug wires.
V-Spec race development

Post by V-Spec race development »

I have the same problem once in a while. Try changing your plugs w/ a new set, mine went back to normal and it datalogs no problem.
fly_n

Post by fly_n »

The EMI emissions on aftermarket ignition gear is not so tightly regulated as it is with stock vehicles ignition gear.

The OEM vehicle producers have to pass very stringent standards in this area,hence why aftermarket ignition gear usually causes interference probs that stock gear dont.

If somebody has that exact same setup running successfully with hondata,then they either put a bit of careful thought into the installation of the gear & reducing the chances of any harmful interference from the aftermarket gear,with certain grounding/shielding/wiring/locating/etc/etc procedures or they just happen to fluke the desired result,when they slapped it all in.

If stock gear gets rid of the problem,then at least u know that is the problem area & u can work on trying to manipulate that to get it to work(very tough science &/or trial & error) or just try some other gear or stick with the stock stuff.
Rage performance

I would like some users of this setup to chime in and see how we can eliminate most of these RF interference.

Regards
Kirk
airshifter

Post by airshifter »

I use the pro10 and s300 all the time. We always use stock plug wires with this setup. Have had some cars that run into this issue and some that don't. Especially cars with wire tucks. They seem to have issues without the pro10 sometimes. What I have found to work is adding extra grounds to the engine that go directly to the battery and also grounding any component chassis that can cause this type of noise. This eliminates the problem 95% of the time. Some cars are just stubborn.
Another thing:Make sure internal logging is off
Rage performance

I have added a ground from Battery directly to engine, I am going to replace y80 tranny with a B16 tranny tonight , but before i do that i will post a log and also the calibration i am running on. Thanks for all the points in areas to check for this RF interference. Keep the ideas coming guys.

Regards
Kirk.

we have a race this weekend....
fly_n

Post by fly_n »

Try to locate the igniter & coil isolated as best u can from any other vehicle wiring & the ECU as well,anywhere around the firewall is usually not a good place for mounting them.

Also try to isolate any wiring associated with the above items away from other vehicle wiring,especially the bits that run close & parallel to other vehicle wiring for any great distance.

The main reason wire tucks cause extra difficulty is the wire tucker just goes & undoes all the careful research & planning of the loom configurations,grounding techniques & routing the honda engineers have put into eliminating these types of problems.

Thats if just plain dodgy wire tucking isnt the primary cause of the problem, of course.

I always warn the local boys before they start to tuck,either,do it carefully & right the first time or get somebody knowledgable to do it if your not sure or be prepared for some big headaches......
locash

Post by locash »

I have the M&W Pro 10 box on my own car and multiple customers cars with no problems. Mount the Pro 10 box up near the front of the car, far away from the ecu.
Locash Racing, LLC
Hondata Sales and Tuning
Dynapack 4000 2wd Dyno
In-Shop CNC Machining and Product Manufacturing
turbotypeR

Post by turbotypeR »

What are you using to trigger the datalog? Are you starting it when certain parameters are met? I used to use the same setup and i had issues when starting the datalog this way. I changed it to starting the datalog from a switch and have had no issues since. BTW- I use the internal logging.
92 civic Si
best et:9.43best mph:164
locash

Post by locash »

No problems here using the parameters to start and stop datalogging.. Also, OEM plug wires work great for us, making anywhere from 900 to 1000+hp with the Pro10 box.
Locash Racing, LLC
Hondata Sales and Tuning
Dynapack 4000 2wd Dyno
Rage performance

thanks Locash for your comments,I have mounted the Pro10 at the engine mount close to the fender and the coil on the fire wall cuz this is a right hand drive EG hatch.
turbotypeR

Post by turbotypeR »

why not just use a wire to trigger the datalog? That way you always get the log. I don't know about you guys, but for me, I can't afford to have the possibility of missing a log.
92 civic Si
best et:9.43best mph:164
locash

Post by locash »

Regardless of if he has a datalogging switch or not, if the Pro10 box is too close to the ECU, it will generate enough interference to cause the datalogging to not work properly..
Locash Racing, LLC
Hondata Sales and Tuning
Dynapack 4000 2wd Dyno