P0123 TPS High Voltage Question

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
S2Dave

P0123 TPS High Voltage Question

Post by S2Dave »

getting the above fault, but only on wot, has been fine for several hours running

Just changed the TB for one fitted with another TPS, and still get the fault

TPS values read and seam stable

OEM loom to ecu, all looks good and i cannot get the fault to apear by moving the wiring/connectors ect

Is this now down to wiring ? or could it be something else

About to take the car to be mapped after an intake and exhaust change,

K20A2 KPro
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

S2Dave

Post by S2Dave »

PRA ecu Kpro Sn 01443
Soft ver 1.4.1.0
UK EP3 K20A with DC5/PRC Inlet manifold 66mm js racing TB (fault was same on Standard TB, PRB manifold and different TPS)
Custom exhaust manifold and backbox

fitted in a lotus elise, i fitted this last year, OEM wiring loom to the ECU, fault came up last year, was hoping changing the TPS/TB would cure it
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The common causes of TPS errors (apart from aftermarket throttle bodies and aftermarket TPS sensors):
- TPS sensors go bad, especially in vehicles with a lot of engine vibration. Solution is to replace with a known good OEM sensor.
- Wiring in the engine wiring loom breaks near the TPS connector, usually from bending fatigue. In this case it is difficult to diagnose because the wire will break inside the insulation, and so will work until you place the engine under vibration / stretch the wire.
Hondata
S2Dave

Post by S2Dave »

Ok fitted a good known working TPS, Both have been OEM Honda TPS

Have been through the wiring, all looks and tests good and is clipped up around the engine as per OEM brackets, is heavily protected with heat shrink and flexi plastic tubes through the car

pulling wiggling the cables shows no fault readings

The fault is only trigged when 100% throttle is reached

I did the conversion last year, and only have had it finished enough to get the car mapped (this friday) car runs fine but as its not mapped so i kept off the 100% throttle usage, and did several thousand miles last year ok, Thought it was the TPS, changed it last weekend and still have the same problem
Ive read the TPS settings and up loaded them to the ECU
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

In that you can start by telling us the error code and providing a datalog of error occuring.
Hondata
S2Dave

Post by S2Dave »

Hondata wrote:In that you can start by telling us the error code and providing a datalog of error occuring.

P0123 TPS High Voltage,

(ECU in boot, currently dont have a long enough USB cable to reach the passenger area of the lotus, to get a datalog, ecu before memory addition)

As you are asking for a DataLog, does this mean there is something that could be causing this in the ECU settings or setup, my tuner briefly mentioned that there may be something he can set or change, ive already told him ive calibrated the TPS settings, he mentioned codes or coding???

If its just as case of settings these will be all changed on friday, as i am just running a base map with tweaks

I dont have any information on the previous owners car config, if he was using a different TPS, or if its possible to change these settings
S2Dave

Post by S2Dave »

Ok well ive fixed it, user error on my part

On the Lotus ecu to set the TPS high and low points you just move the TB through its movement and the ECU picks up the max and min

With the hondata you have to hold the TB at full throttle to read the upper setting, or it defaults to the lowest upper setting which is 60% when you "read" the settings
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Glad to hear that you've sorted it out.
Hondata
S2Dave

Post by S2Dave »

Thanks Guys
kb58

Post by kb58 »

S2Dave wrote:Ok well ive fixed it, user error on my part

On the Lotus ecu to set the TPS high and low points you just move the TB through its movement and the ECU picks up the max and min

With the hondata you have to hold the TB at full throttle to read the upper setting, or it defaults to the lowest upper setting which is 60% when you "read" the settings
Appreciate the closure on this. So many times people post problems but never say what root cause was.
Mid-engine K24 turbo Locost, http://www.midlana.com
S2Dave

Post by S2Dave »

kb58 wrote:
S2Dave wrote:Ok well ive fixed it, user error on my part

Appreciate the closure on this. So many times people post problems but never say what root cause was.

I thought it may help in case anyone does the same, there are a few threads with people having this error but no answers as to whats caused it, Kpro is a product that appeals to DIY mechanics, but most of us are not experts, so may need to be pointed in the right direction

Also if there had been an answer for this i would have saved a large amount of money as i would not have bought a replacement TPS

Fault has not come up since the TPS values were set correctly
kb58

Post by kb58 »

No way on here to PM/e-mail you, but I'll buy that TPS if you want to get some money out of it. Contact me through my sig if interested.
Mid-engine K24 turbo Locost, http://www.midlana.com