P2647CEL 05'Aus Accord Euro VTEC Oil Pressure Switch Enabled

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2007-2008 US TSX
beaugus

P2647CEL 05'Aus Accord Euro VTEC Oil Pressure Switch Enabled

Post by beaugus »

Hondata, I've recently installed an 07-08 Manual TSX ECU in my Australian delivered Accord Euro CL9 and have had the immobilizer and VIN successfully coded by my local Honda dealer - upon uploading the 04-05 TSX basemap to my ECU however I initially had the FTP sensors error as I forgot to disable them under the miscellaneous settings, since switching it off those errors have not returned.

I am left with one CEL error however which is P2647 VTEC Oil Pressure Switch High Voltage.

I have tried to clear the DTC with our HDS however its a reoccurring pending error, when I disable the option in flashpro "VTEC Oil Pressure Switch Enabled" this CEL error goes away.

We had no CEL or DTC's when we took the car to the dealer to have the ECU swapped out however having said that, we also have not looked into the sensor itself since driving it back home but I am almost certain that we shouldn't have any fault with the sensor itself unless it has occurred immediatly after swapping the ECU out.

Can you advise if this presents a significant problem with tuning our Accord Euro or not and if we should avoid driving the car until we can verify that the sensor is in working order.

We may swap back the ECU's now that we have a set of keys programmed for both ECU's to double check to see if this CEL happens on the old ECU but thought I'd raise the question here to see if disabling this feature is the right way to deal with this issue.

Thanks.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: P2647CEL 05'Aus Accord Euro VTEC Oil Pressure Switch Ena

Post by Spunkster »

Does the engine even have a VTEC oil pressure switch?
beaugus

Post by beaugus »

Initially I thought that our Australian delivered Accord Euro's did have a VTEC oil pressure switch, upon further inspection today though I'm starting to believe that we don't.

I looked at both the TSX and Accord Euro workshop manuals and it was only until I saw an exception on the page stating "Except KQ Models" that the VTEC oil pressure switch isn't used on our engines here.

I looked into this a bit further and as it turns out:

KH = USA, Canada & Mexico Models
KG, KE, KZ, KS = European Models
KQ = Australian Models
KY = Saudi Arabian Models

I tried a couple of things out today to verify including;

Uploading the 04-05 TSX Basemap with and without the "VTEC Oil Pressure Switch Enabled" option, obviously with the tickbox enabled it threw the CEL and reoccurring code P2647. When I connected up our HDS and performed the VTEC oil pressure solenoid test I could audibly hear the solenoid clicking upon command.

Then when I re-uploaded the same basemap with the option off, no CEL or codes and repeated the same test using the HDS and the solenoid clicking on command was still audible which was good.

It's pretty tough to get a decent picture of the area where the solenoid is sitting with our strut brace in the way but I'll make an effort to post up what our Accord Euro's have just for future reference for anyone who may run into this same problem.

Without actually going out and driving the car I cannot 100% confirm that we still have complete VTC operation. But I think its safe to say at this point we defiantly do not use the oil pressure switch on our Australian delivered Accord Euro CL9's (or at least up till 05' models which ours is)
beaugus

Post by beaugus »

I've taken our Accord for a brief test drive using the TSX basemap with the VTEC oil pressure switch enabled option turned off. I have attached the datalog of the drive for reference and the edited calibration file.

A few knocks were recorded but being a basemap specifically tuned for the TSX I was expecting to see that however AFR seemed quite stable considering.

The issue still remains however, when engaging VTEC, absolutely no audible difference or "feel" in the raise of RPM could be felt which immediately prompted me to hold off from completing any WOT pull.

The RPM continues to rise okay but even though the VTEC Spool indicator shows the engagement, there is no actual feel or change in the rate almost similar to as if we're still running on the economy cam profile.

Not sure what to make of it. At this point I don't know if I can feel confident in doing any WOT runs in fear of any oil pressure issues.

Edit; I've included a WOT pull datalog as well.

As a thought, should I expect to see any error codes or operational abnormalities if there was an issue with VTEC operation? Such as the ECU going into limp-mode etc? I just assumed we would have to use our best judgement to know if we can feel/hear VTEC or not or maybe its just because of having a max of 25 degrees VTC and over our FN2 Civic Type-R its just not that noticeable?
Accord Euro Basemap.fpcal
(15.52 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
Basemap Log.fpdl
(3.09 MiB) Downloaded 441 times
Basemap WOT Pulls.fpdl
(120.02 KiB) Downloaded 435 times
beaugus

Post by beaugus »

Can anyone confirm that disabling the option "VTEC Oil Pressure Switch Enabled" for Australian Accord Euro's which are not fitted with this Pressure Switch is the correct way to handle the P2647 CEL after reflashing with the 04-05 TSX Basmap?

If this option is disabled on a vehicle which does not have it fitted does is it still safe to tune the engine and engage VTEC?

Seems unusual that our Australian delivered Accord Euro's are not fitted with this switch yet US TSX and Europe Accord's are fitted with them, what is doing the job of this switch if one isn't factory fitted anyway?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

IF there is no VTEC oil pressure sensor then you must disable it.
beaugus

Post by beaugus »

As far as I can tell there is defiantly no VTEC oil pressure switch fitted to our Australian Accord Euro's at least up to 05' models that I can confirm with so far.

Spunkster, is it safe to assume there is normal VTEC operation using the TSX Flashpro and the option turned off in FP Manager considering there is no pressure switch fitted?

Just want to be 100% sure that turning the option off in FP Manager is the correct way of handling the CEL thats all.

Obviously if the sensor does not exist then one can't expect the option to control anything and throw a CEL but still just want to make sure that VTC still operates normally even with this option set to off specifically when the sensor is not fitted.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

This does not effect VTEC operation.
beaugus

Post by beaugus »

Thanks for clarifying Spunkster :)