Interested in if this idea of running my OBD-II car is doabl

Hondata model coverage & ECU application questions.
Screech

Interested in if this idea of running my OBD-II car is doabl

Post by Screech »

Lets assume I have an 98 Civic with a B20Z swapped in still running stock PHK ECU from 2001 CR-V with no codes and everything works. Now, I want to tune it and not have to do ECU swap to pass Emissions OBD-II scan. What really prevents the k-pro from running the B20Z engine? If I were to use the low frequency VSS Ecu with the VSS signal from the tranny, convert to COP setup (I see you have a kit for this now too, but thinking if running a K-pro ECU the conversion kit would not be needed since the ECU supports this). I was thinking I could disable the VTEC either with an option or by setting the minimum VTEC speed greater than the gearing allows the car to go. First step in my mind would be to get the B20Z running on the k-pro, what would prevent that if above are considered? Is it just addition cam/crank sensors that are needed.

I wanting to do more to the engine than the stock ecu can really handle, and want to keep OBD-2 for ease of inspection and continued use of Torque Pro on tablet and other race logging apps that use OBD-II. Price of k-pro is within reason to me for the tuning + OBD-2, I just don't plan to switch to a K-series engine anytime soon.

I figured I would ask here before purchasing manuals for a k powered Honda or 2 to research the electrical/sensor differences. Also, wiring is not a problem, I just have to know if the sensors are the same signal, or if not is there a known sensor that would work on the B20Z to feed expected signal to k-pro ecu.

Thanks for reading and looking forward to some intelligent replies with list of things preventing it from working, or things I have not considered yet.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Interested in if this idea of running my OBD-II car is d

Post by Spunkster »

This is not possible. The cost to even attempt this would be more than just swapping a K-Series engine. Your best option is to just use the s300 in an OBD1 ECU.
Screech

Post by Screech »

Not asking about cost.. what technical reasons prevent it from being possible? Signal different from B20Z sensor to what the K ECU expects? Angles of key triggers on an angle sensor? Missing angle sensor? Wanting details as to why so I can make up my own mind if it is worth it to me. As I said, not going K engine anytime soon. And I refuse to use OBD-I in OBD-II car. Please don't just say I should do what I already said I refuse to or will not be doing anytime soon.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Without telling you to do, I'll tell you want you can't do, and that is run a B Series engine from a KPro. It would be easier to list what is the sensors which are the same: TPS, MAP & IAT. Everything else is different, but the main stumbling blocks would be the crank and cam signals, coilpack outputs, lambda sensors, knock control, idle control, EVAP system, relay wiring. Probably some more that I've missed.
Hondata
Screech

Post by Screech »

Why would the coilpack outputs be a problem if swapped to coilpacks? I see hondata sells a coil pack retrofit (CPR) for older Honda engines including B series, looking at just this part of the puzzle would the coil packs used for the CPR setup not work with k-pro, just without the need for the CPR controller?

I guess I'm just wanting a more technical explanation. More of a this sensor works on this voltage/resistance on the K series but on B it is this. Or the Evap solenoid on B are normally open and closed when voltage is applied but on K they are normally closed. Teeth count on crank/cam wheel mismatch or "key" location on wheel not at same angle due to different angle of sensor install location. Finding this info online seams difficult to me. I have all the CR-V manuals from Honda for the 97-2000 CR-V so I know or can find the specs on the sensors and such for testing them.

The angle sensors for crank and cams are the ones I'm most concerned with. Looking in Kmanage it appers there is an option to disable VTC, not sure with sensors or solenoids that does away with yet (I'm still reading the help file) but thinking that may make controlling an engine like a B a little easier since that should do away with the variable intake cam angle.

The lambda sensor is used in place of the primary O2, correct? Does it screw into the same size bung as the O2?

I see the additional relays scanning through wiring diagrams, but they are not a problem to add, wiring 101 stuff there.
Anjuna

Post by Anjuna »

Why would you want to stick with an older generation engine and end up spending more to retrofit it? Hondata does not typically tell you how to do things, but provides support for their solutions to certain problems.

Hondata does not provide a solution to B series to be run with Kpro. Therefore, I believe you are asking the wrong people.

If cost wasn't an issue, why not go K series and have an engine that produces more power in stock form, will provide you with enough "tinkering" (which it seems like you're very interested in) and has superior technology.