Tuning Spark Angle/WOT Lambda

2007-2008 Fit
FootInMouthDisease

Tuning Spark Angle/WOT Lambda

Post by FootInMouthDisease »

When making adjustments to spark/lambda on the GD3, are we to use the "Low" or "High" tables to affect open loop/WOT operation?

While data is streaming, and I am sitting at idle to examine logs attempts to view the Ign-High table are overridden and it takes me back to the Low table. I don't have a passenger in the car when tuning, so I cannot check that this is the case while under way and whether the High table is being used.

Additionally, how can we scale the tables to allow for tuning at greater than 7000rpm operation for those of us who will be switching to a larger cam/turbo?

Is there a limit to maximum rpm in the software or ECU?

Note: The spring/retainer will be more than adequate for this, as it is being used to take advantage of a the massflow of a large compressor/turbine combo at high boost so please do not opine on what is too much for the valvetrain to handle and/or why would I need greater than 7k rpm. :)

This is merely a question about how to tune for beyond 7k and where the limit exists if there is one.

As it stands, I watch the graph on a sweep through 7k I see AFRs dive into the 11s. I am trying to determine if this is a default mode of the ECU for margin of safety purposes or if this is purely because airflow is falling off so fast on the stock cam.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Tuning Spark Angle/WOT Lambda

Post by Spunkster »

If you are datalogging you will not be able to adjust the High cam maps if you are running on the low cam maps unless you uncheck the "tables follow vtec" in the options menu.

You will have to re-index the the tables to rescale them for higher RPM values.
http://www.hondata.com/help/flashpro/ta ... tsub=index
http://www.hondata.com/help/flashpro/ch ... ndexes.htm

You must make the changes to whichever cam profile it is runnign on in the area the change must be made.
FootInMouthDisease

Ok, that is sort of what I figured and why I only modified the Ign-High Map above 4k

And to confirm the Fuel High Map is only going to effect closed loop operation in those areas on the High speed cam, and the WOT Lambda High is purely WOT/Open loop?

I had initially tried to left-click on the index, just before I had made the post with no success. The three options were all grey-ed out.

Tried again last night with no issue, definitely user error.

I was previously not aware of the "tables follow VTEC" box, thank you!
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The fuel maps are used for both open and closed loop.
FootInMouthDisease

Ok. If the Fuel Hi/Lo is in use for open and closed loop, does that mean WOT Lambda Adj Hi/Lo is presumably then just for TPS = 100% or similar?

The Fuel Value is unit-less is looks like on the Hi/Lo tables, and from what I'm reading even changes in injector size do not alter these values. Instead the injector scaling is altering trims in the background.

Would the only purpose to altering the Fuel Hi/Lo tables be to further fine tune actual AFR in line with target AFR/Lambda as specified in the WOT Lambda Adj Maps? Am I overthinking this? (Or under? lol)

So then following that basic example, if you personally were the one tuning a GD3.. lets say a boosted application, and you have enabled the boosted load ranges would your main fueling changes be made on the WOT Lambda table then further tweaking is done on the Fuel tables?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

There are no units on the fuel tables, and that is where you should be making your adjsutments. You really shouldn't have to touch the WOT lamda tables unless you are trying to run much richer than the tables are already set to. Your tuning should be done to the actual Fuel tables.
FootInMouthDisease

Yes towards 6600rpm and afterwards AFR dives rich (into the 11s) even though WOT Lambda is targeting 12.5:! and I have the fuel tables tapering off at that point - torque curve suggests VE is falling off pretty fast up there.

As far as adjusting the load v rpm indices, the options remain grey-ed out. The laptop is not connected to the ECU and I am attempting to modify it inside of an existing .cal file.

What am I doing wrong?
Attachments
index-issues1.jpg
index-issues1.jpg (294.22 KiB) Viewed 22493 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Some indexes are shared between multiple tables and cannot be changed.
Hondata
FootInMouthDisease

Hondata wrote:Some indexes are shared between multiple tables and cannot be changed.
So, perhaps I am misunderstanding.. but is this to suggest that while we can set the redline to whatever we like, we are not able to rescale the tables to tune beyond the stock redline in the event we opt for significant VE mods that require the ability to wind out higher?

Or is there another way to do this?

Say I pick up a very large cam, fabricate manifolds tuned for this cam to make power from 6500-10500, tool steel rodbolts, thicker wristpins, valvesprings to accomodate, etc. Am I really limited by these shared indexes that don't allow scaling beyond 6600rpm and all that is now useless?

Why allow for the ability to change the redline, and then not include the ability to tune for it?
FootInMouthDisease

Anyone?

Is there another set of tables I should be using to affect changes to spark/fueling above 6600rpm?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You should be adjusting the fuel and ignitinon tables which you can reindex. Those are the tables that are used to run the engine.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Actually, the fuel & ignition indexes currently cannot be changed. We will see if we change this before the next release.
Hondata
FootInMouthDisease

Hondata wrote:Actually, the fuel & ignition indexes currently cannot be changed. We will see if we change this before the next release.
So I'm not crazy! haha

Was going to say "but we tried that.."

Is there an upper limit to what those tables could be indexed to inherent to something in the ECUs design/programming?

I'm not just asking so I can say "I can rev to xxxxx rpm" as some sort of internet dick-waving contest. Just want to tune for whatever we come up with.

Used to running AEM and ECMLink on my other cars, and I am a bit spoiled by that.
FootInMouthDisease

Saw the new update, thank you for addressing this in such short order.

I will be checking it out this weekend.