RDX, huge retard at 3600-4400 rpm

FlashPro Manager software
R2Racing

RDX, huge retard at 3600-4400 rpm

Post by R2Racing »

Hi

have anybody seen a strange behaviour of ignition on RDXes such as even negative numbers up to - (minus)10 deg at 4000 rpm? Angle goes down from 3600, minimum is at 4000 rpm, and goes up then.

Tried to modify all tables available for RDX, no affect. Even main ignition tables, where angle is 17-18 deg , do not work.
All knock tables, including retard and limits, all ignition corrections, boost, fuel - tried everything. No difference where is VTEC also.

High rpm ignition is around 12 deg, and can be controlled via ignition tables.

At the moment the calibration is equal stock for simplicity, exept MAF curve and injector size (MAF and injectors are bigger).
Engine with forged internals.
Forgot about turbo, it's bigger too.

Thanks for any idea
Attachments
-10 deg No Vtec.fpdl
(8.19 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
RDX Stock Vtec 90 mm Stock.fpcal
(12.58 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
ajpturbopittsburgh

Re: RDX, huge retard at 3600-4400 rpm

Post by ajpturbopittsburgh »

You need to zero out your knock ignition limit values in boost in the low and high cam tables. You have some knock control being applied. Looks like you have a knock retard value of about 7 degrees and your knock ignition limit values in the low cam are negative and I think the 7 dgrees is being applied to that also.

I see -6 to -9.5 in those tables and if you are taking 7 degrees more retard from that then that will bottom you out in timing....I'm not sure you can command less than -10 but I'm not sure.
R2Racing

Post by R2Racing »

I tried zero limits, unfortunately, it does not work.
Also tried to lower retards even to zero.
Tried to lower sensitivity of knock sensor too.
Ignition behaviour was the same.

Then, decided to return to almost stock as starting point for simplicity.
What does look strange there is no any knock counts activity in all datalogs. I have one thought might be something wrong with knock sensor.
ajpturbopittsburgh

Post by ajpturbopittsburgh »

In the cal that you have posted nothing is zeroed out so I'm not sure what you are talking about. The best thing to do is to post a calibration and the log that came from it.
R2Racing

Post by R2Racing »

Here are cal and datalog with zero limits and zero retards. Looks the same, minus 10 deg at 4000 rpm and no retards.

Would like to ask guys from Hondata - is it possible that cause in updated software? When I started to work with this RDX, everything looked Ok, no such problem. You fixed MAP reading then, might be some bug in updated software. I run 1.9.8.0 at the moment.

And still no knock counts in datalogs. I've seen false knocks sometimes from time to time in previous FP Manager.
Attachments
No Knock.fpdl
(17.73 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
No Knock.fpcal
(11.05 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
VitViper

Post by VitViper »

This behavior isn't surprising, you have limited options to tune ignition on these cars since it's apparent there is more logic in the ECU that's adjusting the timing map than just KIL. We noticed it originally when the RDX FlashPro first came out and a friend was testing it on his car.
R2Racing

Post by R2Racing »

VitViper wrote:This behavior isn't surprising, you have limited options to tune ignition on these cars since it's apparent there is more logic in the ECU that's adjusting the timing map than just KIL. We noticed it originally when the RDX FlashPro first came out and a friend was testing it on his car.
yeah, seems, you are right, today tried the last beta 1.9.9.0, no result.
The only thing - turned off boost-controller, got back to wastegate spring around 11-12 psi, and everything is going predictable now. Normal ignition and normal torque curve.
Looks like a problem is in level of boost, but RDX's cal has just single map for a target boost, and any manipulations with it do not work, unfortunately.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

There was a problem datalogging with the RDX, including the ignition timing. Please update to latest beta version.
Hondata
R2Racing

Post by R2Racing »

Hondata wrote:There was a problem datalogging with the RDX, including the ignition timing. Please update to latest beta version.
thanks, just updated and tried. The same picture.
Now I think a problem is not in software, ignition is going down fast when boost higher than 12-13 psi, no matter what numbers in boost map.
Thinking to use piggyback to fool two MAP sensors.
R2Racing

Post by R2Racing »

cut MAP and BOOST sensors and add piggyback there , clamp signals so ECU can not see more than 13 psi.
Seems, it does work, no any retard and flat torque curve.
Thanks for all who took part in my headache ))
VitViper

Post by VitViper »

The ignition timing control is such crap on the RDX... I have a couple customers... 3psi of boost @ 2200 rpm and -3* of timing. I bet that drives REAL nice.

Can we get some further R&D on this platform or is are inability to do any ignition timing tuning just going to be the norm?
R2Racing

Post by R2Racing »

VitViper wrote:The ignition timing control is such crap on the RDX... I have a couple customers... 3psi of boost @ 2200 rpm and -3* of timing. I bet that drives REAL nice.

Can we get some further R&D on this platform or is are inability to do any ignition timing tuning just going to be the norm?
just found ignition relation on RDX. Ignition drop around 4000 rpm directly depends of IAT, as low temp as much that drop, and drop goes away after approx 40 C (104 F ??) These days we had very cold days, so customer has seen persistent drop every day even on warmed car. And no any map in Hondata for IAT below 40C.

I'm thinking to use the same piggyback again to modify IAT that ECU can not see temp below 40C
the_wrench116

Post by the_wrench116 »

what??? most of the time these car spend running with the car seeing IAT below 105 F. now they see 34-50 F so your telling me that your customer cars run like crap all the time?.?