CPR cutting out code 15

Hondata CPR (Coil Pack Retrofit) support
hondaracing84

CPR cutting out code 15

Post by hondaracing84 »

I recently installed my CPR. It started fine, ran fine without issues. I made a full pull through 4th gear with no issues. Then I tried again and suddenly the motor died. The MIL came on with code 15 (ignition output error). After letting it cool down for a minute, it started right back up with no codes. Later I tried it again to see if Id get the same problem. I did a 1st gear pull spinning the tires a bit and sure enough, it cut out bad and then died with code 15. Turned the key off, then it started right up again with no codes. Drove it home, did a 2nd and 3rd gear pull on the way and it pulled smooth with no codes or issues.
One thing to note, when I hit a bump it seemed like the ignition cut out. When I did the 1st gear pull there was a little wheel hop and it cut out completely. When I did the 2nd and 3rd gear pull without issues it was on smooth road and no bumps. Any thoughts?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: CPR cutting out code 15

Post by Spunkster »

It sounds like a problem related to a loose wire somewhere since it happens with bumps and at high RPM where there is vibration. Check all connections and wires related to the installation.
hondaracing84

Post by hondaracing84 »

So lets say the power and ground was not as good as it should be, if it lost power for a second or less, during a hard pull, could that cause the code and the engine to die?
The main thing I want to be sure of is that its not the cpr box. What can be done to test the box to ensure its working properly. Meaning would I be able to send it in to be checked out and tested?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It dos not sounds like an issue with the box since it is working as it should and intermittently has an issue when there is movement. You need to check your wiring. Any fault in the wiring will cause issues.
hondaracing84

Post by hondaracing84 »

Alright, sounds good. I actually removed it from the vehicle I was testing it on. I'm putting it on the race car in a few months. Ill be sure the wiring is perfect. Thank you!
hondaracing84

Post by hondaracing84 »

I was reading through the instructions again and realized there was a step that says to remove the ICM wire from the coil. I did not remove this wire from the coil as I didnt see this step.
Also one thing that is unclear. In the instructions it says to remove the ICM wire pin A22 and replace with the cpr icm wire. But when looking the diagram it shows the obd1 ecu wire side with the wiring going into the A21 ICM pin. Which one is correct. Remove and replace A21 or A22?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

A21 and A22 are the same wire and some cars have one or the other or both. Nothing should be plugged into them except the CPR wire.
hondaracing84

Post by hondaracing84 »

I see. Well mine has both. I pinned into A22 and left A21 in. Is it possible that couldn't have contributed to the issue?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It is very possible.