Top speed limiter

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2007-2008 Acura TL
Yungone501

Top speed limiter

Post by Yungone501 »

Having problems changing my top speed limiter from the stock settings. I've tried using realistic numbers for both the engine speed and the mph as well as exaggerated figures (highest allowed numerical input) to no avail. What could I be doing wrong here?

Thanks
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Top speed limiter

Post by Hondata »

What are you trying to change it to? At what speed do you hit the speed limiter?
Hondata
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

From Help, About, what version of software are you using?
Yungone501

Post by Yungone501 »

I'm using the latest Beta version.

If I'm not mistaken, it's around 136 or 138 that it cuts.
Yungone501

Post by Yungone501 »

I'd like to set it at MINIMUM of 160.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Yungone501 wrote:I'm using the latest Beta version.
Can you give us the exact version number?
Hondata
Yungone501

Post by Yungone501 »

Hondata wrote:
Yungone501 wrote:I'm using the latest Beta version.
Can you give us the exact version number?
It's 2.4.2.0

On a different note, in the help file it says that the traction control options will not be displayed until the module is plugged in first. However, I noticed that the options are present and able to be modified WITHOUT having ever plugged in a module (I don't even own one), is this normal because the help file shows it as a darkened area that cannot be modified or changed? The reason I ask is because I need to know if the ELD circuit can be used or not without the module activating this option. I'm thinking about using the feature as a means of retarding the ignition in great degree for use of a 2-step or anti lag. Thoughts on this as a possibility?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

If you don't have traction control then you cannot use the traction control option and enabling it will cause you to have undesired issues.

How exactly are you reaching these speeds?
Yungone501

Post by Yungone501 »

Spunkster wrote:If you don't have traction control then you cannot use the traction control option and enabling it will cause you to have undesired issues.

If they cannot be used, how can it cause undesired issues?...What type of issues exactly, please elaborate?

How exactly are you reaching these speeds?

What do you mean "how"? As in where or are you questioning my cars ability to reach these speeds? Lmao
BOLD
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

If they cannot be used, how can it cause undesired issues?...What type of issues exactly, please elaborate?
Random ignition retard, rev limits.
What do you mean "how"? As in where or are you questioning my cars ability to reach these speeds? Lmao
It's a fair question.

If you could provide a datalog of hitting the speed limiter it would help us.
Hondata
Yungone501

Post by Yungone501 »

Hondata wrote:
Random ignition retard, rev limits.

Would/could these symptoms occur even if there is no 1-5 volt input to the ELD circuit on the ECM? Just trying to clarify what you mean by random. Or is this assuming that the ELD sensor would still be connected when the Traction Control option is activated? If so, then I could understand why a person would have random issues such as these since there is a constant signal from the ELD to the ECM while driving.
It's a fair question.

If you could provide a datalog of hitting the speed limiter it would help us.

No problem. Just would like to understand (or rather clarify) the questions being asked. One more thing before providing the datalog, there are to different fields that must be specified when setting the speed limiter. There's the max mph box and then a max engine speed box. This is what I didn't understand. Does the speed limiter engage based on which one of these two are reached first? I wasn't sure if each field should have a numerical value entered into it or just one and the other left blank. Perhaps this is where the mistake is being made?
RESPONSES IN BOLD ABOVE

While we're on a role here with some helpful feedback, I have a few more things:

- Why doesn't my RPM shift points change when my rev limiter is reduced/increased when the transmission is in full auto mode (not the manual-sport shift mode)? To clarify, I reduced my stock redline speed down from 6800 RPM's down to 6300 RPM's (for increased engine life/reliability) and then noticed the automatic transmission will still try and shift at the stock rev limiter point: 6800 RPM's. Is this normal and am I SOL?

- Though this isn't a Hondata specific question, I was really hoping someone's tuning expertise could enlighten me a little bit here. I street tune my car and has never once seen a dyno. Using a logical approach, I've learned that I can use RPM & time in datalog (*using exact same road and minimizing as many variables as possible, run to run*) to determine timing adjustments. If time decreases, I keep advancing until time reductions level out. I have gotten very good at this (I feel?) technique and even do "datalog to datalog" comparisons using 300 RPM increments for fine tuning ignition mapping throughout the entire rev range for both low and high cams. Now then, onto my point/observation: I've noticed that when timing is advanced AND there is a decrease in time from the previous run on one area of the map (indicating power was gained), my AFR's will ALMOST always read slightly richer from the AFR in the same area of the map on the previous datalog that was recorded prior to the ignition change. Generally speaking, this difference can be between .05-.40 of a point richer. Anyone else observed this while tuning ignition (even if on the dyno) and if so, is it safe to use as a secondary confirmation (in conjunction with a decrease in time on a test hit) that ignition tuning is going in the right direction? Not sure if it's any relation, but I've noticed an almost similar situation with boost pressure as well except not AS consistent as AFR but definitely enough that it too caught my attention. Except with this observation, it was noticed that boost pressure is normally being slightly reduced (typically by .1-.2 psi according to datalogs) when time is dropped from an advance in ignition. This seems to suggest (if the observation has merit) that the engine is becoming more efficient (hence the increase in power) and could be decreasing combustion pressures at the same time, correct? Again, I'm not too sure about this one but interesting nonetheless. Thoughts or advice from experienced tuners?

All help given here is greatly appreciated. Thank you to everyone that's helped thus far.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Send us the calibration with the datalog. With the speed limiter both speed and rpm need to be met. I'd just set them to 200 mph and 8000 rpm.

The rev limit is raised, but the transmission controller has its own shift points. In sports shift mode you can use the extra rpm.
Hondata
Yungone501

Post by Yungone501 »

Not really sure what happened but of course after waiting nearly 2 years to ask about this here, it started working. I was going to datalog the event and as I approached 138, it just kept climbing all the way till I hit the end of the road at 172mph. Not sure what I did or changed but it works. Thanks for the help anyhow.

Another issue I've been trying to deal with is my transmissions 2-3 shift under full boost at WOT. If I allow the rev limiter to hit (decreased to 6300) in manual mode in 2nd, a majority of the time it will stay stuck in 2nd and will not shift unless I click up to neutral and back down again into drive or manual mode. Never thought too much on it as I thought it was something to do with my transmission itself until I removed the turbo setup and ran NA for a while then realized that it no longer had the issue! Then, I reinstalled the turbo setup and right away problem came back. I do have the J37 throttle body on there but again, it stopped when the engine was NA....any ideas or places to start?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

What MAP sensor are you using?
Yungone501

Post by Yungone501 »

Spunkster wrote:What MAP sensor are you using?
Alright, I've got the 4 bar Hondata MAP and due to the question you asked, I just went to your parts page and read up on it on the side note below the sensors description. I'm assuming this is because the sensors resolution isn't compatible with the TL's ecu or what is it exactly? Also, what should I do if I have future plans on going to a boost level that's surpasses that of the stock and RDX MAP sensor capability? Which brings me to another question, does the RDX MAP sensor have the same issue as the Hondata sensor?

Thanks.