Atmospheric BOV

Civic 2016+ 1.5 Turbo
Smittybk1

Atmospheric BOV

Post by Smittybk1 »

I have been told by tech support that an atmospheric BOV was causing issues. I just want to say that i have been successfully running with an atmospheric BOV. I did some data logging for street and highway driving conditions. I have found no issues.
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Atmospheric BOV

Post by Hondata »

Just because you can't see any issues you can see does not mean there are not problems.

All the air to the engine must be accurately metered. If you introduce an air leak, in the form of a BOV, then the engine is not going to run correctly. If somehow you can convince us that the ECU can tell how much air escapes through the bypass valve and compensates for the loss, then we'll change our mind.
Hondata
Smittybk1

Post by Smittybk1 »

Would you be able to analyze my datalog if i sent it to you? I chose hondata for it's reputation and commitment to its craft and would value your advice.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

I get the feeling that you really want to be able to run a BOV even though it messes up the air metering, and are looking for evidence that you can do so, but the bottom line is that the AFM must accurately meter the air that goes into the engine.
Hondata
Smittybk1

Post by Smittybk1 »

I appreciate your honesty and being blunt. Ill be removing my bov and returning it to the stock bypass. Thank you sincerely.
LordMothy

Post by LordMothy »

Atmospheric blow off valves cannot be used for proper engine operation. While I do enjoy that silly worthless sound, here are some screen shots of what it does to your fuel trims and why it's just not worth it

2017 SI running a BPV
2017 SI without BOV.jpg
2017 SI without BOV.jpg (277.79 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
2017 SI with any BOV = Uncontrolled rich moments caused by releasing metered air between shifts.
2017 SI BOV.jpg
2017 SI BOV.jpg (288.78 KiB) Viewed 2093 times