Civic 2017 HB CVT Questions

Civic 2016+ 1.5 Turbo
jedi-dad

Re: Civic 2017 HB CVT Questions

Post by jedi-dad »

So after a couple of drives I have mixed feelings. I was looking for some boosts in power, specifically when I am stopped. There has always been a noticeable lag when I am trying to accelerate quickly into traffic. I was hoping the 6+ psi would reduce that lag so I could feel the turbo quicker. It's subtle, at best. I believe I could feel a good thrust between 20 mph and 60 mph, but then even at stock it performs well when there's already some RPMs in the right range.

Perhaps the ECU is still adjusting but I am still not sure about the changes that were made. Maybe my expectations are off or I need to be educated on where I should see the changes. This is the CARB version and CVT rather than manual, so perhaps there is a difference.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

With the +6psi calibration the mid range power is significantly higher. This does make the turbo spool up time feel longer, which is mainly a mechanical issue which cannot be altered by the ECU, but the main reason is the CVT. The CVT does not like to shift the band on the sheaves under much power, so the transmission controller will ask the ECU to reduce power which it is going to shift. With more power, this process takes longer. You also might notice that the CVT will vary the gear ratio continuously at low power levels, but under full load it has to get the ECU to reduce the engine power and so shifts in steps.
The calibration for the CARB and Race versions is the same.
Hondata
jedi-dad

Post by jedi-dad »

That is interesting. The videos I've seen seem to indicate quite a difference in the initial acceleration with a reflash.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but is there any way around how the CVT works with the initial acceleration? Overall more power is great, but it was my main goal with the reflash.