Tuning for VTA BOV?

Civic 2016+ 1.5 Turbo
Physical

Tuning for VTA BOV?

Post by Physical »

Hey Guys,
I was looking at getting a VTA BOV for my car, along with a custom exhaust. I read that swapping from the diverter valve to a VTA BOV can cause fueling issues. I was wondering if anybodies tuned around these issues yet?

As an aside, one a somewhat related note (as I plan on doing both these mods at the same time, or very close together) with a custom catback, how would I go about tuning for some pops and crackles? I'm hoping for some 2-step backfires (yes I know, it's horrible for my cat, but damned if it isn't cool)

I appreciate any information or responses.
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport: Injen SRI (cold piping included but not installed... Someday soon!) - Flashpro custom tune
Bought May 1st, 2017 - Daily Driven - 20k miles and counting!
LordMothy

Re: Tuning for VTA BOV?

Post by LordMothy »

Don't use a VTA BOV. Can't be tuned, It vents to atmosphere after the MAF.
Physical

Post by Physical »

LordMothy wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:47 pm Don't use a VTA BOV. Can't be tuned, It vents to atmosphere after the AFM.
Is there an aftermarket solution that won't cause my car to run like trash for that signature blow off valve noise? The stock valve leaves something to be desired, and sound is as much a part of driving feel (to me) as anything else.
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport: Injen SRI (cold piping included but not installed... Someday soon!) - Flashpro custom tune
LordMothy

Post by LordMothy »

No solution. You can't meter air just to release it to atmosphere and expect your engine management to cope. You'll probably never get the sound you want from any of the currently available BOV's anyways. The ones Ive heard are super tight and very quiet. They sound a bit like the Ch ahahah sound from Friday the 13th. I think you'd be happier with the sound of a short ram intake.
Physical

Post by Physical »

LordMothy wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:36 pm No solution. You can't meter air just to release it to atmosphere and expect your engine management to cope. You'll probably never get the sound you want from any of the currently available BOV's anyways. The ones Ive heard are super tight and very quiet. They sound a bit like the Ch ahahah sound from Friday the 13th. I think you'd be happier with the sound of a short ram intake.
Thanks for the info, I already have an SRI, and the spool sounds great. Do you know if something like the SSQV from HKS would work? Those don't dump fully to atmosphere.
LordMothy

Post by LordMothy »

No
LordMothy

Post by LordMothy »

Nope, still letting metered air out
Physical

Post by Physical »

LordMothy wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:15 am Nope, still letting metered air out
Yeah, I didn't fully understand the problem at first. Now that I've had time to think about it, it makes sense. If the air is going anywhere but back into the charge pipe, the ECU isn't aware of it, and therefore can't compensate. Thank you again for the info, it's always nice to learn new things.