2018 Sport Hatch 6MT - 9psi hesitation

Civic 2016+ 1.5 Turbo
zac.zavakos

2018 Sport Hatch 6MT - 9psi hesitation

Post by zac.zavakos »

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone running the baseline 9psi flash (non CARB) has experienced an issue with the engine seeming to hesitate and stumble under high load and high rpm?

In 3rd gear, if I go WOT and pull to redline, after 6k, it starts to hesitate and lose power. It really feels like the throttle plate snapping shut and open really fast, repeatedly. I haven't had the flashpro in the car to get a datalog of the issue, I just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar feeling.

Also, I know that calibration comes with the warning "Clutch may slip", but I honestly don't know what that would feel like. I'd think that would only occur from hard launches, but maybe I'm wrong.

Any insights would be appreciated! If not, I'll try to get a datalog of the occurrence.

Thanks!
-Zac
2021 Civic Sport Hatch MT (US)
2021 HR-V....why (US)
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: 2018 Sport Hatch 6MT - 9psi hesitation

Post by Hondata »

Send us a datalog if you can.
Hondata
zac.zavakos

Post by zac.zavakos »

Well, I may have captured it. I tried to flag the data in the Graph in two spots:

07:22 - Hesitation felt in 2nd gear at WOT. Looks like a large difference between pedal and plate, and a large chunk of timing pulled out.

15:49 - Almost certainly clutch slippage. Steady speed, then WOT in 6th, rpms rise independent of vehicle speed before coming back down to match. Repeated a couple times.
6-26 AM.fpdl
(3.58 MiB) Downloaded 124 times
Also, slightly unrelated: Reading through the FPManager Help Guide, I saw that "Use MAP to Determine WOT" is recommended for any forced induction cars. Would that be good to use on these 1.5Ts, or is Pedal Position more accurate for our purposes?

And here is my calibration I am running. It is just Hondata's 9 PSI, non CARB, with No Lift Shift activated and Rev Hang disabled.
9psi Rev Hang NLS.fpcal
(9.36 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
Thanks a lot, I'm enjoying this pretty thoroughly!
2021 HR-V....why (US)
Jun43

Post by Jun43 »

For one you shouldn't floor it on 5th/6th gear at that low of an rpm. you are putting a lot of stress on the rods and clutch.

that hesitation on 2nd gear is cause it's running really rich. It switching to open loop for some reason. Did you just flash your ecu ?
If you just flashed it before the datalog, you will need to drive around to let the ecu learn a little bit before doing pulls
zac.zavakos

Post by zac.zavakos »

I flashed it last week and have been driving it daily to and from work.

No modifications other than the flash.

Also, I did catch that it's showing Cat Temp at a constant 32°. I wasn't sure if that was by design for extra fuel, or if it's a fault. It could explain the rich condition. But I think that it's supposed to go Open Loop at high load, closed at cruise. Might be wrong.

Thanks for the advice!
2021 HR-V....why (US)
Jun43

Post by Jun43 »

It's switching to fuel status 4. which is why it's running really rich on your WOT pulls.
As for why it's doing that, I'm not sure why since you said you flashed the ecu last week