Car idles RICH, but randomly bogs and runs LEAN?

Post your non-Hondata questions / problems here.
XpL0d3r

Car idles RICH, but randomly bogs and runs LEAN?

Post by XpL0d3r »

97 Civic, JDM B18B, tuned on Neptune. Stock internals, currently only boosting 5.5 lbs on a T3/T4 60 trim .48a/r

I had a problem when I turned my HID's on, the car would instantly run max RICH (10.0 AFR/wideband).. and the car would bog like crazy and go nowhere. Took out HID's and replaced with Halogens, worked fine. So I thought.

Also happens when my subwoofer hit, so I removed the subwoofer. Also seems to help. But this same problem with randomly occur when driving. Not sure what is taking the cars power. Grounds seem fine, cannot find any wire shorts anywhere (checked everything except injector wiring, but if anything a bad ground would cause an injector to not spray and run lean, not rich.. right?) Turning car off/on will fix problem most of the time, though not always.

450cc DSM Blue Tops, wired to a Resistor Box. Car was tuned on a clogged injector, but now has all cleaned/flow tested ones, so car idles rich (11.7 cold, 13's warm). However today the car randomly idled at 16? (way too lean)

I have an appointment at the tuner tomorrow. Ironically, driving down to the tuner, car died on me. Alternator not charging battery. I got alternator and battery tested THREE days ago, and they tested fine. May be related to rich issue?

I've heard it could be the tune, could be battery offsets? Could also be a bad resistor box. Any advice? Not so worried about the dead car, but the rich issue is driving me nuts. I see WHITE puffs of smoke sometimes from being so rich. And it's not coolant, it's uncombusted fuel (smells heavily of fuel)

So far people have pointed to battery offsets in the tune, or resistor box. I really hope it's the box, how do I check to see if it's working properly? Tuner is 1.5 hours from me, and I work full time, so I will be calling them tomorrow morning to ask them to check some things. Advice would be highly appreciated!

Also, the car jerks a bit and runs lean when I'm barely touching the gas. I know the AFR is supposed to be max lean when off the gas in gear, but when I'm just VERY light on the gas, it runs lean and jerks. Obviously occurs most in 5th gear or lower RPMs...
Thanks