Acuity TPS calibration problems

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
keithc

Acuity TPS calibration problems

Post by keithc »

My tps sensor acted up big time 2weekends ago at a race meeting. It was reading all over the shop on the data logging. I got a new Acuity tps sensor and fitted it but when go to calibrate it in kmanager i cannot get it in between 0 and 100 for min/max. If i set idle at 0% full throttle is up at 103. 5%.
Surely max reading of 103.5% would not be ideal.
If i put a old standard tps sensor on and set min at 1% then max is at 98%
My tuner seems to think max reading should be jjdt under 100% ideally
Thoughts and opinions??
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Acuity TPS calibration problems

Post by Spunkster »

Have you tried using with these settings to see if it works correctly?
keithc

Post by keithc »

I haven't actually started it with the new sensor.
The sensor that acted up was reading similar when checked back on the datalogging which is why im a bit hesitant to think those parameters are ok.
The car wasn't behaving badly all of the time which is a bigger pain. It has no idle control so never idled great anyways so would have to drive the car but it being a full on race car that is not easy
keithc

Post by keithc »

Just after looking at the service manual and it says for idle should be getting approx 10% and full throttle approx 90% which is similar to what my tuner reckoned.

If tps is reading over 100% on full throttle or under 0% on idle will this cause performance issues?
It always idled like a pig (no idle control) so not worried about that.
Im sitting at 2nd in the championship im in so can't really afford a bad result due to this problem
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You will have to try this out to see if it has fixed your problem, there is no other way to know for sure other than driving it.
fonzeka

Post by fonzeka »

I often hit 103% TPS and haven't noticed any problems.
keithc

Post by keithc »

Got the trusted multimeter out and set the tps at 4.5v wot and it reads 101.8% so will try that and see how she goes in testing
ACUITY

Post by ACUITY »

Hi, so the supply voltage to the TPS is approximately 5VDC. The 10%/90% convention you're referring to is of that 5VDC, meaning at idle you should see a smidge below 0.5VDC (or 10% of 5VDC) and at WOT you should be very close to 4.5 VDC (or 90% of 5VDC). Generally speaking, if you are around 0.45VDC-0.5VDC at idle and within around +/-0.1VDC of 4.5 VDC at WOT, you're right where you should be for a stock application. Much more accuracy is needed at closed throttle and near it since often tuning depends more heavily on throttle position at lower values. Near WOT, the exact value is of less importance as long as it exceeds the value indicating to the ECU that you are at WOT. These exact values will vary if you are using a k-pro, as opposed to on a totally stock ECU where the values are permanent calibrations in the ECU. At any rate, being above 100% at WOT should not be of huge concern, especially since you have k-pro and can calibrate accordingly. I should note that different throttle body manufacturers will have different swept angles on throttle bodies depending on how their hard stops are setup, so you can see a few percent variation just from one throttle body to another depending on the manufacturer. I'm Russ from ACUITY by the way. If you have issues, you're always welcome to email me at russ@acuityinstruments.com.

~Russ
351_FilmZ

Post by 351_FilmZ »

Hello guys, new to the forum and to Hondata. I have got my Turbo build 97 Honda Civic DX B20b swap.
I am having a problem with my ECU/Hondata not reading my TPS open and shut. I am getting shown on Smanager V3 -5 shut and 60 open. I have chased down to make sure I have continuity going in and out of the TPS on throttle body. So that being said I know it is working, So why on Smanager will it not read???? I have tried calibrations, making sure Smanager is up to date, it has Voltage in and out. "ANY OTHER IDEAS OF WHAT TO TRY BEFORE I GO TO A PROFESSIONAL ARE WELCOME."
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It sounds like either a throttle body problem, or a problem with the TPS itself. Make sure it is installed correctly.
Swapshop

Post by Swapshop »

I have this same problem, it’s not the tps . Seems like something is corrupted in the Hondata . My problem happened when I was uploading a tune and my laptop battery died. Just before ( 2 minutes max) that I just had it working and was scaling to 98 open and I can’t get it to budge from 60 open . Did something get fried or did the s300 board burn out or get corrupted? If I put another Hondata on the car it scales like normal , I’ve also tried the ecu in another car too and still can’t get the scaling to go past 60 open. Looks like a S300 issue , and I see many people posting about this problem with the same exact issue , still no solution??
13btoy

Post by 13btoy »

I know this was 2yrs ago but the same thing just happened to my Acuity TPS. It has been working great. All of a sudden WOT is 60. I had it scaled to 101. I just verified on Kpro it will read to 60 and then zero. Did my sensor crap out on me?

Thanks, Ed
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It sounds like it could be a problem with the sensor.
Dirtslut

Post by Dirtslut »

I am experiencing this same issue. I have searched everywhere and see many other people with the same issue but there is never any resolution posted. Have you guys figured it out yet?
MondeCruel

Post by MondeCruel »

From a reknown tuner about Acuity TPS : "I have used them many times in the past. They seem to fail over time like the OEM sensor with stiff mounts. It does take awhile though until that failure happens."