hondata computer failure?

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the FD2 Japanese Civic Type R
dondemeritt01

hondata computer failure?

Post by dondemeritt01 »

Dear Hondata et al,
I have an 07 lotus elise with japanese civic type r engine. The car runs fine as long as I never connect the laptop to the hondata computer. But if the laptop is connected, the Hondata seems to go bonkers! I noticed this first a week or so ago: after connecting the laptop, i took a drive and asked the laptop to record--I'm not sure it was recording because after about 1 mile, I noticed neither the speedometer nor the tach was functioning! I immediately turned around and then disconnected the laptop, even before i was sure it was connected. On the way home, i noted that the odometer was also not working (not surprising) and neither was the gas gauge. When i got back home, i immediately turned the car off, and then turned it right back on, and everything was fine!

Because i was using a new laptop with the latest kmanager (?) software, i hooked up an older laptop and refused to upgrade its software. When i took it for a ride, it did precisely the same thing, except that i stopped, disconnected the laptop, and turned car off and on right away, with the same result.

So the car is fine because, apparently, the lotus and honda computers are separately working just fine, with the Hondata computer unable to interface the two. I have copied all the numbers,... from the unit and need to know what to do next.

Thank you very much,
Don DeMeritt
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: hondata computer failure?

Post by Spunkster »

What is the serial number that is on the K-Pro board inside the ECU?

From Help, About, what is the version of software you are using?
dondemeritt01

Post by dondemeritt01 »

I must apologize, as i didnt read the DoThisFirst hints. Here is hopefully all you will need:
sn of KPro: 2063-602457
ECU pn: 37820-PND-A56
sw version: 4.3.5.0 on first laptop used; 4.3.3.0 on second I have a third i didnt try to use
mods which might affect EDU: none
when/where got KPro: i'm not quite sure, as the work was done in Phoenix by my son, who worked with Tim--only know his first name until my son sends me the rest or I find it.
Hope i can attach k[da]l files
Attachments
170904-2DTCs.kdl
(5.87 MiB) Downloaded 272 times
autoecu-no-heater.kal
(160.05 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
dondemeritt01

Post by dondemeritt01 »

The dyno work was done by XactDyno in Phoenix/Tempe AZ. on 09/28/2016. I got that from the output curve from Xact Dyno; the owner's first name is Tim, but that's all i know now. Hope this helps, but why haven't k[ds]l files uploaded yet?
dondemeritt01

Post by dondemeritt01 »

Here is a little more information: The tuner's exact address:
Xact Dyno
dondemeritt01

Post by dondemeritt01 »

Oops. I hit enter to skip a line and instead posted virtually nothing. Herewith more info and i'll try not to hit ENTER. Tuner: Xact Dyno, 2055 Rio Salado Pky, Ste 102 Tempe, AZ 85281 480-829-1999 Also, the BACK of the Hondata computer says "2003 \ RSX \ S+K \ 2687 ", where each backslash represents a Newline (\n) . Thank you very much, but others seem to have no trouble ENTERing newlines.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

You have a missing or bad ground. Do not connect the USB cable until you fix this, as the current through the USB will burn out the ECU and/or the KPro.

You mention the Lotus computer, so I'm not sure how you have wiring everything in (as a piggyback?)

Check your wiring and that the main harness ground makes good contact to the cylinder head, and that the engine is grounded and also the transmission grounded.
Hondata
dondemeritt01

Post by dondemeritt01 »

Thanks very much; i already checked the ground and it seemed fine, but i'll be sure to recheck it wrt the kpro, and get back to you. Thanks.
dondemeritt01

Post by dondemeritt01 »

I believe you are spot on. There is NO continuity from ground to the Hondata's metal case, which i assume is grounded. Kim i also assumed that the lotus computer was still used, because the gages worked, but that was wrong. What lotus calls the "CAN functions", which includes speedo, odo, tach, gas gage, temp, shift lite,..., oil pres are all routed thru the Diagnostic Connector, making their working comprehensible. I have a hand drawing of the Hondata output pins, which understandably has Blk for the ground wire, on pin 12. As noted elsewhere, i did NOT install the drivetrain/Hondata in the lotus; my son--a tuner in Tempe--did so, and i made my dwg of the wiring from something he sent me. I'm sure i can get it back, but is the schematic also available at your site? It certainly looks like pin 12, Blk is the gnd, but there are two connectors/harnesses in the Hondata--white and gray--and they are both very well wrapped with tape. I'm confident there's a blk in each, but dont want to look in the wrong place, even tho a Blk pin 12 should be easy to find. I think i should take out the drivers seat to improve access, but that's easier said than done. Please let me know which plug to remove, and how to rm it, if possible. Both disconnect the same way. Thank you very much, and i assure you i will NOT connect anything at all until i learn where the gnd is open. Thank you again.