Need help and TC tuning - H23 VTEC Turbo 400whp

carnot

Need help and TC tuning - H23 VTEC Turbo 400whp

Post by carnot »

I need some help adjusting the TC parameters to get a more smooth control action. A good example of how the system is responding is in the attached datalog (zipped) at about the 7:58 time through 8:01. I am targeting a 6% slip with the dial selection but the TC seems to oscillate and I can feel it while driving as being kinda jerky.

Also, I have noticed a tremendous amount of overboost in 1st gear. I have a 5psi spring in my wastegate but as you can see in the datalog I will often hit 15psi+ in first. I assume this is happening because the timing is being retarded by the TC. Any advice on how to prevent this?
Attachments
11.7.2019m.zip
(1.27 MiB) Downloaded 227 times
THT - 11.6.2019v1.skl
(43.01 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
THT TC 11.7.2019.tcc
(1.41 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Need help and TC tuning - H23 VTEC Turbo 400whp

Post by Spunkster »

You may need to try lowering the amount of timing retard in the s300 calibration for the percentage of overslip you are getting.
carnot

Post by carnot »

Ok, I'll try that. As you can see from the calibration, I'm trying to only use retard and no rev limit for control. If I use rev limit as well the oscillation around the target slip seems to get worse plus you get lots of backfiring.

From your experience, what's the least amount of oscillation around the target slip that is achievable with properly tuned TC?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

There is no one setting that will work perfectly for everyone, As this depends on the power being made, the tires used, road conditions...etc. This is something that must be dialed in individually on each vehicle.
carnot

Post by carnot »

I understand each setup will require tuning of the TC parameters. I'm here on the forum looking for advice on best practices to get the oscillation down.

Question, is it correct that the "Traction Control Rev Limiter" can only have values in increments of 10?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

YEs it only allows changes in 10% increments.

You may have to allow a little more slip to reduce some of the oscillation you are seeing. IF it does not allow enough slip it pulls back power more than need be and will cause it to be jerky or less responsive.
carnot

Post by carnot »

OK thanks, I'll try a higher dial setting and see how it feels and report back.
carnot

Post by carnot »

Just to document so it'll help someone else in the future. Turning the dial up one click to 8% slip target did help with smoother engagement.

Also, I got some help on honda-tech.com about the first gear overboost issue. It was actually not related to TC ignition retard but to the air temperature compensations being done on the boost by gear solenoid values. See copied info from motoxxxman,

"For your first gear overboost issue, the cause is a form of "glitch" in the coding. Notice you have negative compensation values for air temps below 80*F. In first gear, 0% is the starting point. And if air temp is below 80*F, the ecu subtracts the proper percentage from zero, which is a negative number. The problem is that the ecu sees negative EBC DC values as positive values below 100%. IE you have -5% @50*F. 100 - 5 = 95. So in first gear, if air temp is 50*F, the ecu is outputting 95% DC to the solenoid.
The "fix" for this is to make sure all values in the duty cycle table are higher than your minimum compensation values. IE, you have -7% for the 20*F air temp comp. So enter 7% or 8% across the board for 1st gear. 8% DC will do next to nothing for raising boost pressure above spring pressure, so it shouldn't negatively impact anything."