New to Hondata FlashPro; new to tuning ECM

2012+ US/Canadian Civic Si / 2013+ ILX
TittermaryAuto1

Re: New to Hondata FlashPro; new to tuning ECM

Post by TittermaryAuto1 »

I cant remember the time it was about 5 mins in. I'll try to ease up on the hard driving.
TittermaryAuto1

I'll try to make note next time it does it.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Okay, take this one for a drive and we will see how it looks. This will be the last cam angle locked one, so the 30* cam again with vtec now at 4000. See if it drives a little better on this one. Now that it's not so rich, it might be a little bit better. Either way, the next revision after this one we will go back to a blended cam angle map, which should help the drivability as well.

We only need maybe a ten minute drive on this one, just be sure to get the clean third gear WOT pull so we can get the WOT fuel data.
TittermaryA.SD.Rev07 (30Cam)(Vtec4000).fpcal
(24.14 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
TittermaryAuto1

Ok, here is the next log. I tried to watch the time signature for when the lag happened, kind of hard without a co-piolet, I believe it happened between the 4:20 - 4:40 time range. It happened another time but I didn't get the time stamp on that one. It does it right after a shift from 1st into 2nd or from 2nd into 3rd with a heavy acceleration after the shift, that's why I feel its a fuel delivery issue. Its the split second after clutch release and nailing the throttle to WOT. Possibly a servo lag between the pedal and the throttle?
Attachments
12 CivivSi Log 8.fpdl
(278.06 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

I don't see anything jumping out in that time range. Right before that range, you went into second gear at 2-3 mph and the fuel went very rich. Not sure that's what you felt or not, either way, I made some changes just based on your feedback to see if we can help it. If these changes don't help too much, we can try going back to the stock pedal map and try that too. It could be a combination of things.

One thing to keep in mind too, you need to let the engine warm up completely before running a WOT pull. The coolant temp was only 135* in your third gear pull which is too cold for vtec to kick in. That pull was all on the low cam which isn't good for the engine. Just be careful in the future so you don't have any issues.

I went ahead and made the fuel changes I could based on the data. We only got a little bit from that last datalog with the cold pull, but we should be able to be off to a good start on this one. Shoot for twenty minute or so datalogs again with at least one clean third gear WOT pull. But now it should be more fun to drive with a blended cam angle map. See what you think, and see if you can get the feeling you're referencing as well. Let me know if it's better or worse, then we'll go from there.
TittermaryAuto1

Here is the next log.
Attachments
12 CivicSi Log 9.fpdl
(356.34 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
TittermaryAuto1

It did a lot better. I didn't notice any lags in the acceleration. Everything felt nice and smooth.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Great news! We're definitely on the right track. No knock, and most of the fueling looks pretty good. It's a little rich at part throttle and WOT, so I made some fuel adjustments. Take this one for the same type of drive and datalog style. Feel free to have some fun with it, just shoot for twenty minutes and at least one clean third gear WOT pull. Other than that, feel free to have some fun with it, it's plenty safe.

It looks like the car is pulling pretty good on those WOT pulls, hopefully that's true in the car. For only the Skunk intake, it sure seems to pull pretty hard.
Jason478

Post by Jason478 »

Hello, I am wanting to purchase a hondata flash pro for my 2014 Civic SI, I have a k&n cold air intake and Invidia cat back exhaust. I am wondering which base map I can use for my modification setup. I am new to all of this so forgive me if i am unclear.

Thanks, Jason
TittermaryAuto1

Hello. This is where I'm getting help tuning my '12 Si. I think we're 9 tunes in. If you don't have a Hondata tuner, get one. I had my car all messed up and we are close to having it back right.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Jason478 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:31 pm Hello, I am wanting to purchase a hondata flash pro for my 2014 Civic SI, I have a k&n cold air intake and Invidia cat back exhaust. I am wondering which base map I can use for my modification setup. I am new to all of this so forgive me if i am unclear.

Thanks, Jason
Hi Jason,

If you want to go with a Hondata basemap there are some you can start with. All of them will need some tuning to get them dialed for your setup. If you want some help tuning it, purchase a Flashpro and make a new thread of your own once you get it and we can go from there. Look around, I'm sure a lot of places have sales going on right now for the holidays, it's a good time to buy one. I know Heeltoe has a holiday coupon code for their site and they are a great vendor.
TittermaryAuto1

I got the aftermarket Stage 2 clutch installed. Not sure if I mentioned that the clutch was on its way out or not. I must have missed getting a ground wire back on because my charging system light is staying on but is still charging 14+ volts. I need to get a new base map for you I suppose. Ill try to get it in here in the next few days. Life has been hectic and I've had no time to play with my car other than driving to and from work. Thanks for your past help. The car has been running great.