2013 SI map for Acuity CAI & q300 - please help

2012+ US/Canadian Civic Si / 2013+ ILX
EFICU

Re: 2013 SI map for Acuity CAI & q300 - please help

Post by EFICU »

It's looking good. We will now do one on the 30* cam with vtec at 4000. Take it for a spin when you can.
Brandonja02.SD.Rev10 (30Cam)(Vtec4000).fpcal
(23.92 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Brandonja02

Post by Brandonja02 »

Latest log attached. let me know how it looks. after downloading and turning the key off and starting the car the air bag light came on? not sure why?
Attachments
datalog rv6 4.fpdl
(4.35 MiB) Downloaded 47 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

It happens from time to time on the 9th gens for some reason. The ECU doesn't control the airbags, so it doesn't make any sense. But it goes away after the next reflash or two. I've never seen it stay on, but I've seen it a few times now.

That one looked good. We will now move to the 40* cam with vtec at 5500. For these next two revisions, you can take them for 10 minute datalogs. All we really need is a clean third gear pull.
Brandonja02.SD.Rev11 (40Cam)(Vtec5500).fpcal
(23.95 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Brandonja02

Post by Brandonja02 »

Ah. It went off. thankfully. it seemed to really pick up after around 5500 or so.
Attachments
datalog rv6 5.fpdl
(2.53 MiB) Downloaded 40 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

That's good. Yeah it's weird that it does that, but I've seen it happen enough to know it happens and then goes away.

Here is the last cam angle locked one. The 40* cam with vtec at 4000. Another ten minute one with a clean third gear pull is perfect.
Brandonja02.SD.Rev12 (40Cam)(Vtec4000).fpcal
(24.27 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Brandonja02

Post by Brandonja02 »

latest log attached :)
Attachments
datalog rv6 6.fpdl
(2.06 MiB) Downloaded 48 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Okay, it looks pretty good. Go ahead and take this one for a run when you can. I've got the cam angle blended out and ready to go. Shoot for the normal 20 minutes, and at least one third gear WOT pull. But feel free to have some extra fun with it to see what you think. Vtec appears to be happiest at 4300, but we can move it around some if you want.
Brandonja02.SD.Rev13 (Blended)(Vtec4300).fpcal
(24.4 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Brandonja02

Post by Brandonja02 »

latest log attached. it felt pretty good. air bag light came on again lol
Attachments
datalog rv6 7.fpdl
(3.21 MiB) Downloaded 50 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

I think we chalk the airbag light up to the car seeing how you're driving and just reminding you it's there to you protect you! :) jk

Anyways it looks really good. We just about nailed it there. Go ahead and make another one when you can and we'll see how it looks. Does vtec at 4300 feel okay, or do you want to try it a little lower? I wouldn't go too much higher because it sort of falls off on the low cam after that, which would cause a dip in power.
Brandonja02

Post by Brandonja02 »

I probably wouldn't want to go to much lower? Unless there's some kind of benefit? It feels pretty good. I don't notice the crossover or whatever, which I actually like. I know in the 9th gens it doesn't hit as hard as the k20 civics but you know more than I lol. I do miss the tq of my mustang but I have to keep reminding myself, on paper this car "should" be about as quick.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

No problem, just letting you know you're not stuck with it at 4300 is all. You also know that vtec will only kick in at 4300 when you're near WOT right? You can drive past 4300 rpm in part throttle driving and vtec won't engage, you have to be near WOT for it to engage. So don't panic like you have to shift before 4300 to avoid vtec. Play with it on the next drive and you'll see.

Yeah the goal is that you don't feel the crossover for vtec. It should be a linear and smooth increase in power. You can do things to make it more abrupt, but the considered proper way to do it you shouldn't really feel it.

Depending on which generation and model mustang it might be comparable yes. As always, the driver makes a big difference.
Brandonja02

Post by Brandonja02 »

I think it feels pretty good where it is. I usually don't drive around to crazy. Just cruise. I didn't know that about being neat WOT for vtec. Makes sense though. Definitely a difference when ur "in it" trying to get somewhere. I had an 02 mustang gt with basic bolt on. I did an irs swap and etc. It was fun but my first rwd car and I hated the way you sat in the car and shifter location, if that makes any sense. That was enough to make me sell it. Felt like I was driving an f150. Miss the sound of the 2v though. Idk if I'm sold on the catted dp and q300. I'm sure it's quiet enough for some but it gets loud and drones on the highway. Might look into getting a vibrant quiet resonator put in or something. Always, thanks again for the help getting it running 100%. Appreciate the help for sure. Is it worth getting it dyno tuned or is this essentially the same thing? I don't need numbers. Just curious. It feels strong and that's all that really matters to me. May save for a kraftwerks kit. I like the idea of them being kinda quiet and sleeper-ish.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah I had three 03 Cobras in my time, but they have an entirely different feel than the GTs of that era so it's hard to compare. I had all of them pretty much set up the same with the MGW shifter and CobraBob shifter gaskets. I did ride in a buddies procharged GT with the solid axle and it felt terrible to ride in. The IRS definitely makes a difference.

Dyno tuning would only add peak hp if any. And you would really want to find a dyno tuner who also tunes part throttle driving. Most of the ones I have come across don't really focus on part throttle tuning, it's mostly WOT. So no point in giving up 99% of the driving you do to get a couple more HP if that in WOT. From the tunes I've had compared on a dyno I'm within 3-8hp of a dyno tuner. Since we tuned all cam angles on yours, the cam angle mapping is build with fuel demand data. Where it's making the most power it wants the most fuel, so that data is used in a similar manner to how a dyno would read. IMO there is no need for a dyno tune, but if you want to please find one that tunes part throttle as well.
Brandonja02

Post by Brandonja02 »

ah, that makes sense. I'm not really worried about peak hp or numbers. It feels very solid and responsive when driving normal and then when you put your foot into it it takes off well too. overall I'm happy. May throw in a vibrant ultra quiet resonator to take out some of the drone on the highway and change the tone a little but other than that. It's quick enough for me, for now :)
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Sounds good. We can always run some pulls through the VIrtual Dyno software if you want some rough numbers on power. Just let me know, we would need to find the smoothest and flattest stretch of road you can find. The software is great, but it can be temperamental with with bumps and uphill or downhill.