2004-2005 K24A2 swap into 1987 CRX Si

Hondata model coverage & ECU application questions.
rufusbob

2004-2005 K24A2 swap into 1987 CRX Si

Post by rufusbob »

Hello - I’ve participated in a number of car related forums over the years, but this’s my 1st time here.

I just ordered a Hasport mount kit to install a K24A2 into my ‘87 CRX Si.

The car will be street driven, and my goal is a refined installation with (as close as possible) the appearance of a Honda produced CRX. I.e. few, if any aftermarket parts visible.

I am satisfied with the OE performance of the K24A2 as found in the ‘04-‘05 TXS, and want the swapped CRX to be emission compliant and will run a cat. But I wish to run a mass airflow intake rather than “drive by wire”. The ECU will monitor and control only those sensors and actuators required for basic engine operation. (I.e. no boost, launch controls, or any ancillary vehicle systems like ABS).

I’m hoping my intake & exhaust systems will emulate the OE TXS systems’ restrictions closely enough to allow use of the OE ECU control map w/out the need for tuning.

Any advise on whether this is feasible, and how to achieve it as far as sourcing an ECU are welcome and most appreciated.

Bob
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: 2004-2005 K24A2 swap into 1987 CRX Si

Post by Spunkster »

There is no option to run Mass air flow or a drive by wire throttle on a swap like this.
rufusbob

Post by rufusbob »

My apologies. My ignorance of Honda’s electronic engine control strategies is showing.

Questions:
1. Can you kindly recommend a book that covers Honda (especially the K series) engine control strategies in detail?

2. I’m unclear how intake airflow is measured. Can you please explain?

3. Is there an ECU using a different means than MAF or drive by wire which is appropriate for this swap?

I just want to clarify what I don’t understand, and at the same time make sure I completely understand your answer.

Thanks,
Bob
rufusbob

Post by rufusbob »

P.S. I have a book that covers Ford OBD I control strategies, understand that system reasonably well and have been successful in diagnosing their problems in the past. I need some help understanding Honda K Series control strategies. Thanks.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You would need to use an 02-04 RSX engine harness and an 02-04 RSX ECU with the Hondata K-Pro. This will require tuning on the dyno and is not CARB legal and not for use on vehicles driven on public roads. Details can be found at: https://www.hondata.com/products/kpro/kpro-product