Fixing low idle

K-Series Programmable ECU Calibration updates / downloads
finsky

Fixing low idle

Post by finsky »

Hi,

I have a K20A2 with a PRA ECU and IACV delete (I got the car like this).

Recently I discovered an air leak at the intake, I fixed it but now I need to redo the calibration as it is too rich.

I got my idle at 14.70 but the engine bounces between 650-800rpm which is too low.

The easy solution would be to tighten the throttle cable but my understanding is that it could instead be done properly by advancing the ignition. I have no idea how much is reasonable though and I don't want to risk damaging anything. I haven't found any guides about this.

Could someone please help me out with this ?

Thanks.
finsky

Re: Fixing low idle

Post by finsky »

Forgot to mention : this is with some electrical load (headlights on). With no load, the engine stays at around 850rpm, but that's still way under my target of 1000rpm.

Thanks
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

I would recommend that you install an IACV so that it idles properly.
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

finsky wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:35 am Hi,

I have a K20A2 with a PRA ECU and IACV delete (I got the car like this).

Recently I discovered an air leak at the intake, I fixed it but now I need to redo the calibration as it is too rich.

I got my idle at 14.70 but the engine bounces between 650-800rpm which is too low.

The easy solution would be to tighten the throttle cable but my understanding is that it could instead be done properly by advancing the ignition. I have no idea how much is reasonable though and I don't want to risk damaging anything. I haven't found any guides about this.

Could someone please help me out with this ?

Thanks.
I would adjust the throttle until it idles at about 800rpm and make adjustments to fuel if needed. You can also install and IACV per Spunkster as it will smooth out the idles as its designed to control air to stabilize the idle.

-Ed
Instagram: calibrated.tuning
finsky

Post by finsky »

Very well, thank you very much ! I'll follow your advice.