2009 Civic Si w/ Hybrid Racing CAI - tuning guidance

Calibrations for FlashPro Manager - Use all calibrations at your own risk (dyno tuning recommended)

aaronreynolds0

2009 Civic Si w/ Hybrid Racing CAI - tuning guidance

Post by aaronreynolds0 »

Hello,

New to the forum, looks like a great bunch of folks here and great support.

This weekend I installed a Hybrid Racing 3.5" CAI. I was running one of the "stock" loaded basemaps prior. So I first chose the AEM CAI tune, and it idled rough, felt weak in the mid-range, and just wasn't great. I hopped on here and found out that I should have been using a MAP tune instead of MAF, which I was under the impression was mainly for boosted cars, so I'm smarter now. Eventually I found a tune from EFICU here on the forums for someone with my same intake, but also exhaust. So I have that loaded now (the initial version), and it's way better. Idle is smooth, power is there, and it even feels less jerky during on/off throttle changes.

I ran a couple datalogs. I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for here. The knock reading looks pretty consistent, I can see where I was cruising, where I was at idle, and where I was nailing it. Following the advice from EFICU in other threads, I only reved to around 7k. Does everything look okay? Is there more room for improvement?

Aside from the intake, everything else motor-wise is bone stock. I plan on doing headers, cat, and cat-back in a few months hopefully. At that point, I'll probably take it for a good tune. For now, I'm not looking to make monster runs or squeeze every drop out. The car is plenty fun for me even before the CAI, but if there's a lot of room for improvement, well I'm not opposed to that. Mainly, I want to make sure I'm running safe, you know. I've attached my two datalogs and the map I loaded.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Aaron
Attachments
datalog0001-01282023.fpdl
(3.46 MiB) Downloaded 69 times
datalog0000-01282023.fpdl
(4.54 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
Erny585.SD.Rev01.fpcal
(22.22 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
CalibratEd

Re: 2009 Civic Si w/ Hybrid Racing CAI - tuning guidance

Post by CalibratEd »

Part throttle fuel is not to bad. Wide open throttle is running lean. Since you plan to get it tuned I suggest you don't drive the car hard until you get it tuned. I also suggest to run a base calibration file that has not been modified as modified files are not one size fits all.

-Ed
aaronreynolds0

Post by aaronreynolds0 »

Thanks Ed.

I wasn't planning a full-on tune session until I get the exhaust for it, which hopefully is only a few months out. In the mean-time, I'd like to be able to have a little fun with more spirited driving, so I'll try my hand at adjust the fuel.

Did anything in the knock readings stand out to you?

By base tune, do yo mean a "stock" tune setup for no modifications? Does one exist for MAP running? The one I grabbed, I thought was what EFICU called a base tune to get started, not the further revised ones. Maybe I misunderstood.
aaronreynolds0

Post by aaronreynolds0 »

So I tried a different "basemap". Another one from EFICU, tuning for a 2008 Si with HR CAI only. I reviewed the datalogs, comparing mine to that of the person who EFICU was helping. Nothing stood out to me on the WOT, the AFR seemed to rich out when the T-plate was open, and then lean out when it was closed only. My knock readings looked much better, but later on in that thread I see that the owner was suffering from a failing o2 sensor.

So my attempt now is to move on to the 2nd tune in that thread and see how mine stacks up, and try to understand what changes were made. I'm going through the Flashpro help files, but some of their steps aren't making perfect sense to me, but I'm trying. The #1 goal is to not damage my motor.

Here's the map and datalog. If anyone reviews and sees something horribly off, or if I'm on the right track, let me know. Thanks
Attachments
map 01 - ar (jdfoster02.SD.Rev01) (Blended)(Vtec4600).fpcal
(22.99 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
datalog 01 - ar.fpdl
(4.3 MiB) Downloaded 61 times
aaronreynolds0

Post by aaronreynolds0 »

Okay, advice needed, trying to learn.

So I take it the goal here is to get my AFR flat and consistent and in a good range during a WOT pull, and obviously also happy during partial throttle driving. So given the 3 pulls here, I notice the following:
1) As I approach 4600rpm, I'm slowly getting richer. I go from about 12.7 down to 12.2 or so.
2) When VTEC activates at 4600 rpm, I see a jump to lean, nothing crazy but like 12.8 to very low 13.Then it goes rich, and then settles around 12.7ish.
3) From then I'm relatively flat in the 12.7 - 12.8 range until I get to about 5700rpm.
4) I have a steady climb to a leaner mid-13 at 6000rpm, and then it slowly drops back to the 12.8 range by about 6400rpm.
5) It's again relatively flat from there on.

So, my thoughts here are that I should:
1) Be running just a little leaner overall, around 12.9-13.0 right?
2) Take away some additional fuel as I approach VTEC to try and get a flatter AFR on approach?
3) Add some fuel to that 6k rpm mountain to get that flatter?

Thoughts? Is there a really thorough tuning guide out there that I'm missing? Something that really explains what I'm doing here? I haven't even touched on ignition yet. Sorry, couldn't load the 1st datalog from the snips, it was too big.
Attachments
datalog_snips.pdf
(448.95 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
datalog 02-6 - ar.fpdl
(815 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
datalog 02-5 - ar.fpdl
(4.69 MiB) Downloaded 59 times
aaronreynolds0

Post by aaronreynolds0 »

Haven't had any responses, but figure I'd throw this out there anyways.

I'm getting close on my fuel mapping, and having 0 knock, so I believe I'm on the right path. I've been tuning for the 3rd gear WOT pull. The last couple datalogs I did some pulls in other gears, and I notice that my AFR is different in different gears. For instance:

1st gear I'm sitting around 13.6-13.8
2nd gear is 13.2
3rd gear is 12.9
4th gear is 12.7

Is this normal? Is there something in the tuning that adds/removes fuel to the map based on the gear?
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

aaronreynolds0 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:31 pm Haven't had any responses, but figure I'd throw this out there anyways.

I'm getting close on my fuel mapping, and having 0 knock, so I believe I'm on the right path. I've been tuning for the 3rd gear WOT pull. The last couple datalogs I did some pulls in other gears, and I notice that my AFR is different in different gears. For instance:

1st gear I'm sitting around 13.6-13.8
2nd gear is 13.2
3rd gear is 12.9
4th gear is 12.7

Is this normal? Is there something in the tuning that adds/removes fuel to the map based on the gear?
I would assume you are hitting different cells. Look at the table at those points and see where you are in the table.

-Ed
aaronreynolds0

Post by aaronreynolds0 »

Good to hear from you Ed.

Sorry, I dont follow. Do you mean the cells in the fuel tables? That's where I've been adjusting my fuel to achieve a good steady AFR. But I dont see anything about this being gear specific.
aaronreynolds0

Post by aaronreynolds0 »

Okay, so about last comment, seems that this is a pretty normal occurrence.

So here's my map and datalog with a few pulls:

4th gear pull from 4k-7k at about 9:30
3rg gear pull from 2k-7.5k at about 10:30
1st-2nd gear pull at about 12:08
2ng gear pull from 1.5k-7.5k at 12:33

No knocks. Based on what I'm seeing in other datalogs, I think it looks pretty good. At least good enough to enjoy until I'm able to get the exhaust installed and go for a real tune.
Attachments
map 08 - ar test (HR CAI, 4600 VTEC).fpcal
(23.39 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
datalog 08-1 - ar-short.fpdl
(2.81 MiB) Downloaded 58 times