Direct Ignition System- that will work with Hondata...

Hondata model coverage & ECU application questions.
PurpleCivicTurbo

Direct Ignition System- that will work with Hondata...

Post by PurpleCivicTurbo »

I have been looking at this for a while, and done alot of research.

Most people know that direct ignition is where you have more or less a coil per cylinder- with no mechanical distributor.

Unfortunately because the Honda ecu (P30 .etc) does not have 2 ignition outputs, there is no way to determine the firing order for a standard aftermarket conversion.

Although i have designed a circuit that determines this firing order using the TDC sensor, i found a company that does this for you.

A company called ULTRA, in Japan, sells a direct ignition system with a unit that is designed specifically for the B series Honda engines.
Its a very interesting kit that comes with looms that simply plug into the engine loom, there is NO splicing or modifying required.

Me and my missus trial installed the system in less than 5 mins, it started first time and the improvement is already noticable, i bought it origionally as there were no mechanical parts to go wrong on my track car. I did not expect (although the system works similar to MSD systems, fires multiple times at low revs) a power improvement- at low revs, with the turbo spun down- the car appears to pick up significantly quicker.

The system is said to be expensive, but for what you get, and the fantastic quality of it- i recommend it to anyone.. There is a company (www.japanparts.com) that can supply it for you- at a small charge- they are great.

If you follow this link- there is a diagram of how the system integrates (http://www.japanparts.com/images/ImageF ... =1&no=2980)

I hope some people find this useful, as i have read alot of people with hondata would love a system like this!!!

Chris
Garrett_si

Post by Garrett_si »

great info

do you have more wiring and price informations?
PurpleCivicTurbo

The price is ?350 ish, and some of that goes to Japanparts for the trouble of them buying it and then exporting to you.

The wiring isnt much to tell, theres 3 units.

1) The CDi module (that controls/runs the 2 coil packs)

2) The Coil Packs

3) FSD Module (Firing Sequence Determination Module)

The system is designed for the B series and comes with 2 different looms (OBD 1 and 2).

As far as wiring goes, the 2/1 plugs on the distributor are unplugged, and connected to the new harness, the new harness then connects back to the distributor. A positive feed is taken from the fuse box and there are 2 negitives.

Its incredibly simple, as i said- less than 5 mins, and comes with diagrams to show you the spark plug layout if you need it. Although this system is plug and play with no modifications to the car, i have wired the sytem into the car without the plugs, ive simply removed the ignitor module and coil from the origional distributor, removed the RPM signal wire and Ignition ON supply voltage. And tapped into the 3 required sensors from the ecu side - rather than the engine bay.

If i can be of any more help just ask!
Garrett_si

Post by Garrett_si »

can you take some pictures of the system?
PurpleCivicTurbo

No problem, the civic is in a bit of a mess, so ive attached the pictures of the system from when i received it.. with the looms intact...

Since then- as my engine bay is a little crampt, ive got my dad to laser cut some stainless steel brackets i designed to hold the coil packs and the MDI in more favorible places.

Here are the photos, ive put my Nokia there so people can get a grasp of the size of the parts...

I do have to warn you though, it doesnt come with spark leads, if you mount the coils close to the origional dizzy it should be ok, but i mounted mine to the left of my radiator bottle, i got Magnecor in the uk to built me a set of custom 10mm racing leads (due to the proximity of the turbo downpipe and dumptube) which came back at ?85, so at the end of the day, no big deal.
Garrett_si

Post by Garrett_si »

fine

and now pictures of the kits installed 8)
PurpleCivicTurbo

:shock: Youll have to wait a bit for that lol... The cars all in bits, wont be all back together for a while yet.. ill post them up as soon as i can...
turbotypeR

Post by turbotypeR »

Awesome! I may have to get one of these.
92 civic Si
best et:9.43best mph:164
PurpleCivicTurbo

Its a really good system- i personally recommend it...

How on earth did you achieve that much power TurboTypeR?? If im assuming youre using a B16b/B18 im in awe!
turbotypeR

Post by turbotypeR »

PurpleCivicTurbo wrote:Its a really good system- i personally recommend it...

How on earth did you achieve that much power TurboTypeR?? If im assuming youre using a B16b/B18 im in awe!
I am using a b18c5 with a 71mm turbo
92 civic Si
best et:9.43best mph:164
PurpleCivicTurbo

Very impressive...
marklamond

Post by marklamond »

I really like that unit, looks very well made from the outside. One of my friends has a car coming over in the next few weeks with what looks like one of these fitted so it'll be good to get a closer look.

It would be useful to adjust the dwell time with the S300 for those with non standard setups.
PurpleCivicTurbo

Just in the middle of stripping down the engine again, i decided to build the bracketry before i wire the electrics in. So as promised- pictures of the system installed, the brackets that hold the coil and the CDI unit i have made myself and arent included in the kit... but enjoy

marklamond

Post by marklamond »

That looks very neat, nice work.

I got a loan of the unit from my friend, i've only had a quick look but it looks quite well made, usual Japanese quality.

The car it was on had a slight missfire, although i think this was down to bad grounding on the unit itself, one of the grounds was not even attached! It will be interesting to set it up and see how much background noise it generates, if any.
PurpleCivicTurbo

I personally think its brilliant, with my basic tools (handheld digi oscilloscope) i did check for background noise..

There is deffinately more noise over the stock coil (which can be heard on the stereo- yes i still have one :? ), im using custom magnecor R-100 leads and i have attempted to locate the coils and CDI box away from any other electrical components (except headlights).

Even though this noise exists, i dont personally think its enough to hinder the operation of the ECU..

Thankyou for the comment, i was proud of the fabrication, except when i mounted the power steering bottle next to the CDI box (just completed a electro-hydraulic PAS setup), there was no room for the IC piping.. doh!