K20a-ITR.kal

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
VT-Doo

K20a-ITR.kal

Post by VT-Doo »

Should the VTEC point on the K20a-ITR map be 3800rpm?

It seems way too low and doesn't follow whats on the Hondata website.
Also, the cam angle on the low cam seem a bit iffy before VTEC is ment to engage.

Can somebody explain these please.

Cheers,
Ian
Ian

Morris Mini (B18C-R)
Honda Civic Type R (FD2)
Honda Civic Type R (FK2)
Vtec6000

Re: K20a-ITR.kal

Post by Vtec6000 »

VT-Doo wrote:Should the VTEC point on the K20a-ITR map be 3800rpm?

It seems way too low and doesn't follow whats on the Hondata website.
Also, the cam angle on the low cam seem a bit iffy before VTEC is ment to engage.

Can somebody explain these please.

Cheers,
Ian
3800 sounds way to low. Set it just above 5k and try it. Can you post up the Kal and I wil take a look at the map for you
VT-Doo

Post by VT-Doo »

It's K20a-ITR.kal when you go to "New Calibration"

If I were to change the VTEC point to 5200rpm the low cam angle is 25deg and high cam angle is 50.
It seems all wrong :?
Ian

Morris Mini (B18C-R)
Honda Civic Type R (FD2)
Honda Civic Type R (FK2)
Vtec6000

Post by Vtec6000 »

VT-Doo wrote:It's K20a-ITR.kal when you go to "New Calibration"

If I were to change the VTEC point to 5200rpm the low cam angle is 25deg and high cam angle is 50.
It seems all wrong :?
There is a reason its done like that :wink: Are you familiar with tuning these type engine? What parts have you on your car? That kal is setup for a toda manifold so if your running stock manifold your probably going to run very rich on that map. Ideally it needs to be custom mapped to your setup
VT-Doo

Post by VT-Doo »

I am yes, it's not the fuelling I'm looking over it's the difference in cam angles between the low cam and high cam at the VTEC cross over point. It seems to large.
Ian

Morris Mini (B18C-R)
Honda Civic Type R (FD2)
Honda Civic Type R (FK2)
Vtec6000

Post by Vtec6000 »

VT-Doo wrote:I am yes, it's not the fuelling I'm looking over it's the difference in cam angles between the low cam and high cam at the VTEC cross over point. It seems to large.
You need to dyno it with cam set 0 then 10,20,30 degrees advance and find out what cam angle is giving best power at x rpm for both low/high cam. Have you done a datalog? how does it feel upon switch over to vtec? I would defiantly increase the transition point to vtec atleast above 4k rpm
VT-Doo

Post by VT-Doo »

I know and understand all that, I'm more curious as why the supplied calibration is the way it is...as in such a big climb...it goes against everything they tell us within this forum.

Cheers,
Ian

Morris Mini (B18C-R)
Honda Civic Type R (FD2)
Honda Civic Type R (FK2)
Vtec6000

Post by Vtec6000 »

VT-Doo wrote:I know and understand all that, I'm more curious as why the supplied calibration is the way it is...as in such a big climb...it goes against everything they tell us within this forum.

Cheers,
If you dyno it you will probably find it makes good power midrange low cam set at 25degrees with basic bolt ons. Get yourself on a dyno and play with the cam angles it will make alot more sense and best way to learn. I had to spend alot of time and money figuring it out for myself what works well, we are told certain things/methods but in fact every setup is slightly different whats good for one engine might not be for the next even if parts list are identical.