Traction control problem

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
gobbledygook

Traction control problem

Post by gobbledygook »

I have just installed the new Hondata traction control unit to use with my Kpro, and I'm having a few difficulties. It's wired into a Euro Civic Type-R, and wiring it in was easy enough. When I spin each wheel I see the correct LED on the unit light up, and the error light is not lit.

I installed the software on my laptop OK (winXP), and when I connected the USB cable the drivers installed and the software told me it would update the traction control firmware. After a bit of messing about I managed to register (damn antivirus software!).

I have tested the target slip setting and the software shows the setting exactly as per the dial setting, I also tested the output voltage and logged that with Kmanager and again the voltage was recorded fine (with a 0.04V offset).

The problem is that when I look at the "Live Data" when driving the car, only the front right wheel is registering any speed. The other three show zero speed. When I try to do the wheel speed setup, it then obviously only sets up the front right wheel and the others are set to zero. I don't understand how this can happen, since when I turn the wheels by hand the corresponding LED on the traction control unit correctly lights up? If I turn the wheels by hand and look at the live data I do see a speed register for the front right wheel, but none of the others.

In the Errors tab, there are no error codes recorded, but the pulse count for each wheel increases as it should when I spin the wheels. There are no Error counts recorded. Somehow this part of the software is correctly seeing the ABS sensor pulses, but the other parts are not?

I downloaded the latest version of the software, but on my laptop this version does not show the traction control unit as 'connected' so I have had to go back to the previous version issued on CD with the unit. I borrowed a laptop with Windows 7 on it, and both the old and new versions of the software work fine, but I get the same result described above when spinning the wheels.

Where do I go from here?

I'd post this in the new "Traction Control" section of the forum, but when I go there I get "You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum."

One other less important problem I also have is that I can't see the datalog. I'm not sure if this is a related issue, but if I click the start button, the datalogging status changes and the bar shows that data is being logged, but nothing shows up in the graph window and clicking the 'Read Datalog' button has no effect.
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Traction control problem

Post by Hondata »

The LEDs will show that the unit is receiving pulses before the pulse count is applied. What I suspect is happening is that you have not set the pulse count for the other three wheels.

First, you must run the latest software version. Once you installed the software which then updated the TC firmware, you cannot go back to a previous version. Do not go any further until you have downloaded and installed the software from our website.

Next, manually set the wheel speed pulse count and see if you then can see wheel speeds. I'd start with the '2006SC' file as it should have the same pulse counts as your car.

Once that is working, then use the set pulse count function to accurately set the pulse counts for all four wheels.

I'll fix the forum.
Hondata
gobbledygook

Post by gobbledygook »

Thanks for the help. Using the latest software on the borrowed laptop (win7) I uploaded the 2006SC calibration and it now shows live data on all wheels. I must have uploaded zeros on three wheels earlier on when testing!. It will be a while before I get as used to traction control as I am with kmanager.

I can now 'set' the wheel speed inputs for my car as I am getting results for all 4 wheels.

I'm off to do a bit of tuning. I still can't view any data when I manually start a datalog?. I'll try activating the datalog on overslip and see what happens.

Not sure why the new software doesn't like my winxp laptop. I'll investigate this later when I have time.
gobbledygook

Post by gobbledygook »

Got it working pretty well now with the latest traction control software and the latest beta of kmanager on my winxp laptop. The Traction control software says "Traction Control (inactive)", but the traction control option in kmanager shows it as connected so I can use that.

I noticed that kmanager shows and datalogs the traction control parameters (wheel speeds, slip etc) when both the traction control and ECU USB cables are plugged in. That's very handy, but I only ever see zero for the TC Over, TC Retard and TC Limit parameters. I know that TC Retard is not zero as my IGN drops as it should do when TC Slip is too high. I also can feel the soft rev limiter kick in, so TC Limit should not stay zero. Is this something that is still to be ironed out?

More tuning required as I'm bogging a bit from a standing start. Maybe I'll try PID. Thanks for the help, it's a nice piece of kit and I'm very happy so far.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Good to hear it is work. You can only use one of the Traction Control Window (in KManager) and standalone Traction Control software, which is why one has "inactive".

If it is bogging increase the minimum speed. Leave the PID until everything else is working.
Hondata