kmanager disconnection

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
Post Reply
Knox
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:01 pm

kmanager disconnection

Post by Knox » Thu May 16, 2013 8:16 am

Hello, I have problems with datalogging when i connected laptop with kpro everything is ok after some seconds kmanager goes offline, when i unplug the usb cable and plug again it starts to datalogging and go offline again, sometimes after 3 4 connect disconnect i can datalog but sometimes can not. Before I have kpro v2 and i never had a problem when datalogging, now i have changed the ecu with my friend's kpro v3 (which i tune it before 3 months with same laptop and we did not have any problem) and i updated the kmanager to the most recent one (v3.2.4) and i start to have datalog problems. After that, i updated the newest beta version of kmanage (v3.2.5) and i have same problems again. I'm using same laptop, same spark plugs (ifr7g-11ks), i tried two different usb cables, i checked my grounds (car is not sawp,it is jdm dc5 type r so ground places are stock places). I need some advise and also i want to learn if the worned battery can cause this because battery voltage is around 11.5v-12v when i first connect the laptop with ecu (when engine is not working).

Thanks for comments, specially spunkster.

User avatar
Spunkster
Site Admin
Posts: 18006
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:06 pm
Location: Hondata
Contact:

Re: kmanager disconnection

Post by Spunkster » Thu May 16, 2013 9:45 am

Start by relocating your ground to the valve cover: http://www.hondata.com/techk20ground.html

Buy a set of cheap copper resistor spark plugs and see if that resolves the issue. Your Spark plugs may just be worn.

Knox
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:01 pm

Re: kmanager disconnection

Post by Knox » Thu May 16, 2013 11:09 am

Spunkster wrote:Start by relocating your ground to the valve cover: http://www.hondata.com/techk20ground.html

Buy a set of cheap copper resistor spark plugs and see if that resolves the issue. Your Spark plugs may just be worn.

Thanks for reply. Because of i have hondata intake manifold gasket i have already relocated the ground wiring. My spark plugs are new (7000km) but i will change them for be sure and also i have some problems when tuning a car with ifr7g-11ks (new). Is bkr7eix-11 iridium sparks are ok (Because i already have in stock) Or i should try with bkr7e-11 copper spark plugs ?

User avatar
Spunkster
Site Admin
Posts: 18006
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:06 pm
Location: Hondata
Contact:

Re: kmanager disconnection

Post by Spunkster » Thu May 16, 2013 11:16 am

Just try some cheap copper resistor plugs and see if the problem is resolved.

Knox
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:01 pm

Re: kmanager disconnection

Post by Knox » Sat May 18, 2013 12:35 pm

Spunkster wrote:Just try some cheap copper resistor plugs and see if the problem is resolved.
I couldn't find heat range number 7 spark plugs for try and it is easier for me to try the my oldkpro (which is version2) and my disconnection problem solved. I think the kpro3 is more sensitive.. Thanks for great support... If i can find copper spark plugs heat range number 7 i will try for see the results later..

Arno
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:41 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: kmanager disconnection

Post by Arno » Sun May 19, 2013 9:38 am

Had a similar issue with my KproV3. Problem in my situation is that the engine is not in a Honda chassis, but in a Lotus Elise and the ECU is mounted in the luggage area behind the engine.

To get an USB cable inside the passenger cabin on my LHD car I had to use about a 4M/12ft cable. I did use a heavily shielded USB cable from Supra (http://www.jenving.se/?p=usb) and routed it away from sources of noise as much as possible. It would work fine with the ignition on, but get random disconnects (no errors) with the engine running. Adding ferrite beads and such did not help.

I know it's not recommended by Hondata, but a test I installed a small 4-port industrial USB hub on the end of the cable, next to the Honda ECU and ran a short cable from the hub to the ECU and the long cable to the front of the car. (Startech ST4200USBM industrial USB hub)

Since then it has been stable as a rock, even without an external power supply to the hub, so running bus-powered. Might be something to try..

Bye, Arno.

Knox
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:01 pm

Re: kmanager disconnection

Post by Knox » Sun May 19, 2013 12:59 pm

Arno wrote:Had a similar issue with my KproV3. Problem in my situation is that the engine is not in a Honda chassis, but in a Lotus Elise and the ECU is mounted in the luggage area behind the engine.

To get an USB cable inside the passenger cabin on my LHD car I had to use about a 4M/12ft cable. I did use a heavily shielded USB cable from Supra (http://www.jenving.se/?p=usb) and routed it away from sources of noise as much as possible. It would work fine with the ignition on, but get random disconnects (no errors) with the engine running. Adding ferrite beads and such did not help.

I know it's not recommended by Hondata, but a test I installed a small 4-port industrial USB hub on the end of the cable, next to the Honda ECU and ran a short cable from the hub to the ECU and the long cable to the front of the car. (Startech ST4200USBM industrial USB hub)

Since then it has been stable as a rock, even without an external power supply to the hub, so running bus-powered. Might be something to try..

Bye, Arno.

Thank you for reply and help Arno, please attach a picture when you have time for show us the hub and the fitting.

Arno
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:41 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: kmanager disconnection

Post by Arno » Tue May 21, 2013 5:11 am

Sure!

It's quite cramped in the back of the car around the ECU and I need to create some real brackets and such to finalise and fixate the setup, but I'll try to snap some pics and upload 'em here..

Bye, Arno.

Arno
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:41 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: kmanager disconnection

Post by Arno » Sat May 25, 2013 6:29 am

Some pics of what I used.

The USB hub I used to get it working stable and at the moment a temporary fitting with some cable ties. Will be doing a bracket to fit it permanently onto the ECU mount and off the floor/bottom so it's out of the way of any luggage moving around and the connectors can't get knocked/damaged. Then add something like a plate/cover so it's all buttoned up nicely.

All cables have been sheathed in corrugated protection tube and wrapped in fabric tape (or woven nylon tape when exposed to the elements), just like the OEM harness parts in the car.

From here (left-rear of the car, you can just see a rear light cluster) I have run a long 12ft USB cable to the front and then over to the passenger (right) side so I can put a laptop in the car and datalog while driving. Already used the shortest path possible in this case as the cable runs along the firewall behind the seats instead of travelling up to the dash first and then 'across'.

Most USB 'extender' cables are not much more than a 1-port Hub permanently fixed to the end of the cable, so when I saw this industrial litte hub I hoped it would also work and (at least in my case) it seems it does help a lot with the stability to the K-pro USB port..

Have run several test sessions on the road now for a few hours and no dropouts or disconnects whatsoever.

Bye, Arno.
Attachments
ecu-usb.jpg
Temporary fitment in the car
ecu-usb.jpg (577.43 KiB) Viewed 2276 times
usb-alone.jpg
Can be fed with an external power feed if required
usb-alone.jpg (584.41 KiB) Viewed 2276 times
usb-hand.jpg
About the size of your hand
usb-hand.jpg (373.11 KiB) Viewed 2276 times

Felipito
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:07 pm

Re: kmanager disconnection

Post by Felipito » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:08 pm

Arno wrote:Some pics of what I used.

The USB hub I used to get it working stable and at the moment a temporary fitting with some cable ties. Will be doing a bracket to fit it permanently onto the ECU mount and off the floor/bottom so it's out of the way of any luggage moving around and the connectors can't get knocked/damaged. Then add something like a plate/cover so it's all buttoned up nicely.

All cables have been sheathed in corrugated protection tube and wrapped in fabric tape (or woven nylon tape when exposed to the elements), just like the OEM harness parts in the car.

From here (left-rear of the car, you can just see a rear light cluster) I have run a long 12ft USB cable to the front and then over to the passenger (right) side so I can put a laptop in the car and datalog while driving. Already used the shortest path possible in this case as the cable runs along the firewall behind the seats instead of travelling up to the dash first and then 'across'.

Most USB 'extender' cables are not much more than a 1-port Hub permanently fixed to the end of the cable, so when I saw this industrial litte hub I hoped it would also work and (at least in my case) it seems it does help a lot with the stability to the K-pro USB port..

Have run several test sessions on the road now for a few hours and no dropouts or disconnects whatsoever.

Bye, Arno.
I have the same problem, same spark plugs, but my car just died in the middle of nowhere

Post Reply