Idle problem after V4 version? CTR ep3

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
RSM

Idle problem after V4 version? CTR ep3

Post by RSM »

Hello
Today, after get the new software version update, and little adjustment in fuel at high rpm, and when i start A/C, the engine almost stop... i have checked the datalog and i have seen that when A/C inserts, the ignition advance arrive at 32 degrees! wowww!
I don't understand why this update can give problems, it affect the map? it's a map that i have been running for more than 40.000km.

The car is EUDM civic type R ep3, engine have only mugen intake box, kpro v3 version and wideband.

Because i don't use the car for 1 week, can cause a down low in battery voltage and idle problem?

I'm very happy with the ecu, and after a intensive tune in road and trips, i have seen a big improvement in fuel economy in normal trips, great response at low rpms, and the power starts now at 5000 rpms, great difference.

Thanks and continue with your great work with Hondas
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Idle problem after V4 version? CTR ep3

Post by Spunkster »

Post your calibration and a datalog showing this.
RSM

Post by RSM »

hello
Sorry for my error.
The voltage drops at 12.6 when a/c inserts, i have noticed one thing too... my tps sensor, reads now 1% at idle...
I have checked the full throttle, the voltage remais at 13.5/13.6

map and datalog
Last edited by RSM on Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
RSM

Post by RSM »

the ecu i bought and they installed at chip-tuning in switzerland, hondata dealer.

after a few changes, in low and idle ignition maps, correct the tps to 0%, in only does vibrations when insert air conditioning, but this is not normal.
After the new v4 software, and little change in 7000/7400 fuel map, that this problem have started.

I have checked that the v4 software version have another parameters to correct idle advance and retard, maybe are this new parameters?

There is the actual map and log.
Attachments
idle problem.kdl
(261.34 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
1.kal
(153.84 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

If you have just uploaded then it may take some time for the idle to be relearned and idle the way you are used to with the AC on.
RSM

Post by RSM »

yesterday i have done a trip and done 200km, with some stop and restarts.. the same problem, it doesn't change nothing.
When i insert Xenon lights, the car almost stop too, and when i use steer... it feels that iacv is moving slowly, i have raised the iacv duty cicle, but only have seen the idle gets higher, and it drops now more fast from cruise to idle. same problem remains when i use the car acessoris from idle.

When i have recorded the log, i have recorded after around 50km use, and hot engine, if this helps...
Tomorrow maybe i have time to clean iacv valve.. i don't think it gets worn from one day to another, but...

Again, this is started when i updated the software to v4 software version, and little adjustment in fuel at high rpm for the new map.
I have upload new maps more than 20 times with v3 version, after i install the Kpro, because i mapped it myself only with wideband and constant checking of how engine is working, and it never had this problem.
Now i can't drive in city with air conditioning, only in open road, but these days with the rain it's difficult to don't use it...

its normal that ignition advance to 28degrees at idle? when i use xenon, A/C or use the steer? it seems a bit to much, but i can't check now... if someone can check this to me.. is a good help.
Thanks for reply
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The vehicle is not running normal ignition advance at idle. Normally it will be much lower (5-10 degrees) so that the ECU can control the idle speed with ignition first and the idle valve second. This could be because the idle valve is not working, or it could be from the calibration. Another thing to realize is that after an upload the car can take 1-2 days of driving to learn the idle.

I would first upload the 'dyno tuned' calibration and then see if that gets the ignition at idle into the correct range. If so, then we need to look at the calibration. If not, it probably is the idle valve.
Hondata
LK7R

Post by LK7R »

Did you managed to fix it? I have the exact same problem.
RSM

Post by RSM »

No, the problem continues...

This month it starts to run richer misture, from the tuned 13.2 to 12.3/12.8 at full throttle, and i have noticed a big drop in power, when i have checked the data log it is running between 21o to 25 degrees in ignition at full throttle too, without touching the ecu!!!! when i have tuned it in 2013 i have tuned it at 28o max at full throttle, and all this problems have started after v4 software version in V3 ecu.
No stock knock control on!
I don't understand how it changes the map and values without touching it, but, the car have changed...

When i come home i go fix the problem, i will desolder it and sell it, too much bugs for a daily drive car.
LK7R

Post by LK7R »

I have tested problem with "PRA Dyno Tuned" map. Please see datalog showing the problem.

Some comments:
* it seems to be more evident on very hot days (+25C)
* tried running for 3 days - no change in behaviour

Engine related info:
* Euro Civic TypeR - K20A2
* PRA ECU with KPRO V3
* Mahle 12.5:1cr pistons
* TODA N2 cams and valve springs
* ITG Maxogen intake
* PRC intake manifold
* TODA exhaust manifold
* 2.5" custom exhaust with no catalisator
* Denso Iridium Racing spark plugs
* PLX WB AF + PLX temp. sensor + DM6

Car was running fine on sw ver. 3.3.x.x , noticed problem after upgrading sw to ver. 4.0.8. Former cal attached too (unfortunatelly opened in v4 KManager, attached one old from v3 version too).
Attachments
TODA_N2_LK7R_v3_manager.kal
Older CAL from v3
(149.9 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
TODA_N2_LK7R.kal
Former CAL - but opened in v4
(153.78 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
EP3_Dyno_Tuned-150722-002.kdl
Datalog with IGN spikes on idle
(1.67 MiB) Downloaded 241 times
EP3_Dyno_Tuned.kal
Map used for the test
(174.69 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
LK7R

Post by LK7R »

Checked the log once again and there is big drop in voltage all the way to 11.4 volts when rpms are low. At that point "Voltage compensation" kicks in adding 43.8% IGN advance. I am going to check the alternator and charging system - that could be source of the problem. I probably could try to lower the "Voltage Compensation" in column "10.01" to see it that helps while sorting out the problem with charging.

Any comments?
RSM

Post by RSM »

Solved the problem.

I have installed the Kmanager that comes in the cd with my Kpro, loaded the map, uploaded to the ECU, and it idles fine with or without A/C ON.

So, V4 software don't work with Kpro v3 hardware.

Thanks for your attention!!!
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You should never downgrade the software. The current version of software works with all K-Pros.
Justinthecoastie

Post by Justinthecoastie »

Spunkster wrote:You should never downgrade the software. The current version of software works with all K-Pros.
Not totally, I've been having issues with the idle and A/C that I didn't have until I downloaded the newest k-manager. On the previous k-manager, I ran my current map over a year no issues...until now. I wish I had saved the old version of kmanager.
LK7R

Post by LK7R »

Spunkster/Hondata, can you look into this issue please? I have sent you kal and datalog and willing to help with narrowing down the issue as at this point is quite problematic to use car like this. Will try v3 for quick comparsion - if it works then problem is somewhere in v4 software in conjunction with PRA ecu with V3/V4 KPro boards.