Kpro using the AiM MXS Strada

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
onslack

Kpro using the AiM MXS Strada

Post by onslack »

Hi there ,

I've got a kpro v4 connected to a aim mxs Strada , I've got the can wires connected up to the aim can high and low , and it seems to be able to communicate using both the Hondata 500 and the MoTec protocol

The aim dash has the kpro v4 stream setup on my config

Now the issue I have is the can signal seems to work when I first power the ecu up , then after about 1 min the connection drops and the data being streamed to the ecu vanishes , it'll come back again if I cycle the ecu but it'll vanish again

Is there anything else I can check ? Or has anyone seen this issue before
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Kpro using the AiM MXS Strada

Post by Hondata »

It will stop broadcasting CAN if there are errors on the CAN bus.
Hondata
onslack

Post by onslack »

Thanks for the reply

It's a brand new kpro, Is there anything I can do to check what's causing errors ?

As I'm a little lost on what else I could check other than the config on the dash and the ecu
onslack

Post by onslack »

bump, i'm still after some help
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Check if the MXS has a termination resistor. If not, add one. Check the voltage on the CANH and CANL lines are around 2.5V from both the KPro and the MXS with both the KPro and MXS on their own and then once they are connected together.
Hondata
onslack

Post by onslack »

Perfect, thank you I'll check these and let you know my findings
onslack

Post by onslack »

Hi there ,

Sorry for the delay , I sent the ecu back to be tested ! They've found no issues, I've since got the ecu back and done the following

Added 3 extra earth straps to the engine to the chassis which seems to have stopped usb comms dropping issue

I'm still having issues with the can stream to the aim dash , it drops the can stream after about 30 seconds of being powered up ( it's on the MoTec SDL/ADL)

I've also added in the resistor as mentioned in your previous post and I've got the readings you asked for, they are as follows ( with the ign on , car isn't running)-

Kpro -

Can H - 2.24V
Can L - 2.24V

AiM -

Can H - 2.24V
Can L - 2.24V

When connected together

Can H - 2.26V
Can L - 2 .26V

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is pretty frustrating
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

If the CAN stream works for 30 seconds with valid data and then stops then it is not a wiring issue it is that the AiM is not acknowledging the packets.

If the CAN stream is not valid or you can't tell then test for resistance in the AiM (and KPro) with everything powered off and check you have 120 ohns at each end. Then also try switching CANH and CANL on one end. But, like I said, don't bother if the CAN is getting to the AiM for some time period. It is not a connection issue in that case.
Hondata
onslack

Post by onslack »

Sorry for the delay in replying, these are the readings I get

Kpro Ohms -

AiM ohms -

Do they need to be bang on 120 Ohms ?

The AiM does seem to get info that seems makes sense ( battery voltage is accurate so I'm going to assume the rest is )

I've tested another AiM Dash Ans the fault is the same on tuwt dash as well , they both drop out anywhere from 30-60 seconds , are there any other can related tests ( any tools I can get to plug into the obd ?) That I can use to prove 100% that it's the AiM dash at fault?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Close to 120 ohms is ok. Like I said, if it gets valid data for any period then it is unlikely to be a wiring issue.

I do not know if the AiM is an active CAN node. ie whether it acknowledges CAN packets. The only ways to tell is to ask AiM and.or use a bus analyzer.
Hondata
onslack

Post by onslack »

Cheers for the reply.

I'll drop AiM a email on Monday to get the tech support to look into the issue further , I'll also look into getting a can bus analyser . I'll let you know how i get on should anyone else have this issue
onslack

Post by onslack »

Just an update -

I'm still having issues with the Can talking to my dash, AiM keep suggesting things to try but ultimately nothing has worked. I've got no one else to turn to now for help and this entire process is delaying my build

I've even sanity checked all the bit's and had a friend look over it, he can't see any issues!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDi9ZasbR2I

I've watched this video about 10x to see if he does anything differently to what I've done ( which i can't see)

I moved the 120 ohm resistor from close to the ecu to close to the dash when i did a resistance check across the wires it was showing 60 ohms (I've only got 1x 120 ohm resistor between the dash and the ecu)

I've got the ecu and dash on connectors so they are their own self contained units and i can remove bits without having to remove the entire loom, would these connections cause any issues?

is there anywhere or anyone in the South East of the UK that can help or that i can contact fro help? as no one seems to be running this dash/ecu combination in the UK that i can find

Any help is greatly appreciated
onslack

Post by onslack »

Bump

Still after some help to get this resolved
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You may want to contact CPL Racing in the UK.
onslack

Post by onslack »

Spunkster wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:00 am You may want to contact CPL Racing in the UK.
I had my ecu converted by PerformanceTek Racing , I sent it back to them in May/June to be tested to which they said they found no issues! I also asked them if they tested the CAN stream, they said they weren't able to test it as they didn't have anything there to test it ( I'm assuming do can enabled digital dashes ?)

I've managed to get hold of my mapper who's going to help me with some testing this coming Thursday, hopefully we can narrow down what the issue is. I'll reply back with what we find on Thursday