Clutch Release Solenoid via Nitrous Control

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
iBoost

Clutch Release Solenoid via Nitrous Control

Post by iBoost »

2003 Acura RSX Type S
PRB ECU Kpro v4

I've got a Magnus Clutch Release Solenoid that is connected to ground on one end and another end to AC CLUTCH through a fused relay. The goal is to activate the solenoid by providing power through AC CLUTCH based on set parameters. The solenoid is used to allow some slipping of the clutch during launch.

I've tested the solenoid via straight ground and power and it functions properly. For some unknown reason, it's not activating at all through Kpro. I'll be honest, I don't completely understand the "always on/off" and "invert" options. What settings should I tweak and to what?
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Clutch Release Solenoid via Nitrous Control

Post by Hondata »

How have you wired it? Using a relay? Is the ECU output to the high side or low side?
Hondata
iBoost

Post by iBoost »

Hondata wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:49 pm How have you wired it? Using a relay? Is the ECU output to the high side or low side?
Below is a diagram of how it's currently wired.

Yes, I am using a relay but I'm not 100% confident it is correct.

Honestly, I'm not sure what you mean by high or low side ECU output. The AC Clutch wire is tapped for signal.

What do I have wrong here?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

As a side note, I've got no idea why people use relay pin numbers rather than the diagram of what the relay actually does, so I'm posting a picture of the relay for my own reference.
Make_and_break_relay.png
Make_and_break_relay.png (6.45 KiB) Viewed 1483 times
Your problem is that the ECU grounds the output. So you need to feed power to one of the coil pins and use the ECU to ground the other.
Hondata
iBoost

Post by iBoost »

Hondata wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:50 am As a side note, I've got no idea why people use relay pin numbers rather than the diagram of what the relay actually does, so I'm posting a picture of the relay for my own reference.
Make_and_break_relay.png
Your problem is that the ECU grounds the output. So you need to feed power to one of the coil pins and use the ECU to ground the other.
My apologies - I thought they were all the same. Below is my relay which matches what you've posted.
download instagram photos high quality

If I am correctly understanding what you're instructing, I need to swap pin 86 and 30?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

No, put power to one side of the coil (85) and get the ECU to ground the other side (86). The 85/86 pins can be switched as long as your relay does not contain a diode across the coil (which it does not appear to).
Hondata
iBoost

Post by iBoost »

Hondata wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:25 pm No, put power to one side of the coil (85) and get the ECU to ground the other side (86). The 85/86 pins can be switched as long as your relay does not contain a diode across the coil (which it does not appear to).
Thanks. I've got it wired properly now but it still doesn't activate so I'm thinking it has something to do with my settings. What do I have wrong here? Do I need to invert the input or output?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Without the calibration and a datalog showing the issue its hard to speculate.
iBoost

Post by iBoost »

Spunkster wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:44 am Without the calibration and a datalog showing the issue its hard to speculate.
These are my settings. Based on this, it should activate the solenoid when between 5600rpm and 12500rpm, throttle 85% to 110%, and 0 to 2mph, correct?

What about engine load? I'm assuming this range leaves that condition wide open.

iBoost

Post by iBoost »

I read in some of the other forums here that the input wire (in my case AC CLUTCH), should not be tapped. Instead, it should be cut and ran directly from the ECU to the relay.

Is that true for Kpro as well?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

That is true any time you are using an input or output for another purpose.
iBoost

Post by iBoost »

Spunkster wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:25 pm That is true any time you are using an input or output for another purpose.
Ok, I'll fix this and test it. Thanks for the fast response!
iBoost

Post by iBoost »

Spunkster wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:25 pm That is true any time you are using an input or output for another purpose.
Alright, that worked although I had to select to invert the output.
iBoost

Post by iBoost »

I've learned that inverting the output triggers the solenoid all the time. The solenoid is not triggered at all when that is unchecked.

I don't understand why the parameters are not being followed. What can I provide to help diagnose this?
iBoost

Post by iBoost »

I've got it all worked out now 👍