Fresh K24A w/ Stalling Issue when revved/decel - KPro4

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
carloverx

Fresh K24A w/ Stalling Issue when revved/decel - KPro4

Post by carloverx »

Hi all,
I have a recently finish build I'm now trying to put a few miles on before bringing it in for a professional tune.

Basic Setup:
-Turboed K24A (10.5:1 pistons, rods, CSS)
-Drag cartel stage 3 cams
-FIC 2150cc injectors
-93 octane at mid 50's psi base fuel pressure
-Kpro4 w/ the "Stock TSX 04-05" base map w/ some minor tweaks

The issue:
-The car starts great. Idle is a little rough at first at steadies out. At very mild throttle, the car drives well.
-BUT if you stab the throttle, or quickly remove your foot from the throttle, the car very quickly dies.

There is a log attached. At the very end you'll see the throttle applied and the car die.

There are a few things I could guess at (fuel maps, tip in calibration, idle lambda targets, etc.), but there are so many possible adjustments that I figured I'd be better off posting for some basic guidance. Any ideas on how best to approach this?

NOTE: I did just notice that I had my Idle Valve disabled (even though the car is setup to use it). I am going to update the tune and see what changes that makes, but I don't expect to fix my problem....right?

Thanks
Attachments
k24,2150cc,93oct- Stalling Issue.kdl
(3.06 MiB) Downloaded 69 times
CalibratEd

Re: Fresh K24A w/ Stalling Issue when revved/decel - KPro4

Post by CalibratEd »

Post the calibration file that you have modified. I can take a look at it. You are right that it can be several things but it good to start with the basics. When do you plan to get tuned?

-Ed
carloverx

Post by carloverx »

CalibratEd wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:05 pm Post the calibration file that you have modified. I can take a look at it. You are right that it can be several things but it good to start with the basics. When do you plan to get tuned?

-Ed
Thanks for the help Ed! The calibration file is attached. I do not have a specific date scheduled for the tune yet but I'm hoping to have it done by the second week in September. My intention is/was to put one or two hundred gentile miles on the car to break in the many new components and ensure it's not going to self destruct lol (only half joking).
Attachments
Stock TSX 04-05 Tweaked.kal
(163.13 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

I can not do much with the data log posted since the car is warming up. Create a data of the car normal driving once it has reached operating temperature.

Also, did you input the deadtimes for the new injectors?

-Ed
carloverx

Post by carloverx »

Hey Ed,
A few quick thoughts:

1. Yes, I used the FIC injector dead times included with the injectors. Set for 58psi base fuel pressure, the deadtimes are as follows: 1.83 / 1.24/ 0.96 / 0.77 / 0.63 (for voltage: 8/10/12/14/16). I'm going to check my base fuel pressure again in the morning.

2. A new log is attached with the car fully warmed up. The log shows the car stalling three times:
  1. I press the gas up to about 3% TPS, bringing the RPMs up to ~1900, and then quickly remove my foot.
  2. I slowly press the gas up to 6% TPS, bringing the RPMs up to ~3000, and then quickly remove my foot.
  3. I stab the throttle at 100% TPS, bringing RPMs up to ~2400, and then quickly remove my foot.

3. If necessary, I can try and get a log while driving the car tomorrow.

4. Turning OFF "Disable Idle Valve" didn't seem to make a difference, better or worse.

Thanks again.
Attachments
k24,2150cc,93oct- Stalling Issue V2.kdl
(2.31 MiB) Downloaded 57 times
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

carloverx wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:59 pm Hey Ed,
A few quick thoughts:

1. Yes, I used the FIC injector dead times included with the injectors. Set for 58psi base fuel pressure, the deadtimes are as follows: 1.83 / 1.24/ 0.96 / 0.77 / 0.63 (for voltage: 8/10/12/14/16). I'm going to check my base fuel pressure again in the morning.

2. A new log is attached with the car fully warmed up. The log shows the car stalling three times:
  1. I press the gas up to about 3% TPS, bringing the RPMs up to ~1900, and then quickly remove my foot.
  2. I slowly press the gas up to 6% TPS, bringing the RPMs up to ~3000, and then quickly remove my foot.
  3. I stab the throttle at 100% TPS, bringing RPMs up to ~2400, and then quickly remove my foot.

4. Turning OFF "Disable Idle Valve" didn't seem to make a difference, better or worse.

Thanks again.
Have you checked for potential vacuum leaks?
What RPM does the car idle when the IACV is disabled?
When the IACV is enabled, try increasing the Idle valve adjustment duty.

-Ed
carloverx

Post by carloverx »

CalibratEd wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:41 pm
carloverx wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:59 pm Hey Ed,
A few quick thoughts:

Thanks again.
Have you checked for potential vacuum leaks?
What RPM does the car idle when the IACV is disabled?
When the IACV is enabled, try increasing the Idle valve adjustment duty.

-Ed

- I checked vacuum leaks multiple times and nothing stood out (though intercooler to throttle body coupler clamp did require a bit more tightening).
- The RPM idles around 900 regardless of whether the IACV is disabled.
- With the IACV enabled, increasing the Idle value adjustment duty absolutely stops it from stalling. It may be the solution. New log attached with the duty at roughly 80% the way up the range toward "higher". Although the car does not rev smoothly, and seems to run lean at times, I think the stalling problem may be solved!
Attachments
k24,2150cc,93oct- Stalling Issue V3.kdl
(1.9 MiB) Downloaded 64 times
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

Fuel table needs some work as there are lean and rich spots. The car is also knocking every time you blip the throttle. I reduced the timing a bit in the areas it was knocking. Load the file and see if knock is still present.

-Ed
Attachments
Stock TSX 04-05 TweakedV2.kal
(163.11 KiB) Downloaded 60 times