Spikey AFR and lean peaks on freshly built motor.

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
xcnathan32

Spikey AFR and lean peaks on freshly built motor.

Post by xcnathan32 »

To preface this, my block has a crack around the oil pressure switch, I did some quick fix, but I'm not sure if it will hold, so I'm reluctant to pay for a tune when idk if it will even run, this thing is already enough of a money pit.
My mod list is k24 bottom end, k20a2 head, forged and balanced internals, k20 oil pump, Brian crower stage 3 cams and valvetrain. Skunk2 ultra street mani, 70mm tb, hybrid racing 3" intake, skunk2 alpha headers, decapped injectors. IACV deleted. Not running oil pressure switch rn, and haven't got a gauge yet which is risky ik, but f it.
I did start it twice before this for like 30 seconds each, first time oil pissed out from the crack, and 2nd time it just ran like ass without tps calibrated.
Started it up for 2 minutes today. My basemap is a tune someone uploaded of their k24/20 frank with similar cams and bolt ons to me. He has 12.5 comp pistons, and I'm at 10.2, so I figured that would also be good for break in, bc not as aggressive timing (for my compression) means it should be safer (at least that's what my thought process is) but I think retarding timing too much may cause it to run lean? Not sure if my knock sensor is working, so I don't really want to mess with timing until I figure that out.
I'm also open headers rn, which ik will cause afr to run and/or read leaner. Set my decapped injectors to 520cc in kpro, was considering possibly setting them to a lower value to get it to run richer. Enabled both lean protections, but they're at stock values, so I guess they won't engage without load. Without the IACV, I adjusted my cable to hold TB open at 5% off throttle. Idle settles around 2200-2400 when I let off those couple times later. I'm just trying to hold rpms at 2000-3000, varying speeds, to break the motor in initially. TPS was reading 6-9% (excluding the small peaks) when I was on throttle.
Basemap is a 93 Dyno tune, I pumped old 93 out until gauge hit empty as to not risk running pump dry. Put 5 gallons of new 93 in, so not sure if some of bad gas causing it to run lean.
Afr spiked as high as 26.4, although it seemed to get better throughout the short run. Afrcmd was 14.6, not sure what I should aim for while breaking motor in, I feel like I should probably get it to target 12-13 to be safe. Just don't want to damage new motor by running it lean.
Thanks for all y'all's help in advance.
Attachments
Screenshot (2).png
Screenshot (2).png (135.25 KiB) Viewed 4198 times
2ndStartTPSCalibrated.kdl
(2.74 MiB) Downloaded 80 times