K-pro tuning A/F, ignition

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
risktypes

K-pro tuning A/F, ignition

Post by risktypes » Wed May 09, 2007 9:06 pm

Ok so i've read the k-pro manual couple times, watched the videos and am trying to find more info on tuning so i can read up on it before i really get into tuning on my car but i have a few questions that is kind of confusing me but not sure if i'm heading in right direction.

My question is when tuning A/F, i want to try and make the curve more smooth with no downward dips and i do it starting on 0 degrees low speed fuel? Then once i get it smooth i go to high speed fuel and do same thing? Do i then after doing that i move to 10 degrees and do same thing for low and high speed fuel, is that correct and progress to the next degree till i hit 50? i just want to make sure. Sorry for the newbie question but i just like to get reassurance if i am heading in the right direction. Also when i'm adding ignition i then add 2 degrees till i get knock and then take 2% of timing in the area where i get knock on all degrees?

Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster » Thu May 10, 2007 10:06 am

fuel you are correct, but you must tune timing on the dyno

risktypes

Post by risktypes » Thu May 10, 2007 1:04 pm

Spunkster wrote:fuel you are correct, but you must tune timing on the dyno
thank you. Do i have to do timing on dyno, can i do it on the street because i don't want to spend x amount of dollors each time. would it be tuning the same like A/F going to each high and low and on every degree?

risktypes

Post by risktypes » Thu May 10, 2007 10:23 pm

if i start with a map already made, like the ones that come with kpro, do i only need to tune the A/F where it says i am leaning on a datalog or do i need to go to each high, low and each degree and try to smooth out all the curves?

dark2k1

Post by dark2k1 » Fri May 11, 2007 6:25 am

it should be better to tune every cam angle at low and high cam lobs. Because when you tuning all the table, you gonna have more difficult to raise a perfect AFR because if you shift into another gear and ask the camangle to change dramaticaly... the time the vtc gonna take for place the cam at the good place, you gonna run with an "untune" map sector...

Check your knount count in the same time ...

For my exemple.... if i shift from 3rd to 4th gear at 7000 rpm with WOT i gonna have some knock count between 5500 and 6000 rpm because the cam must rotate from 30 to 50 deg... and this section is untune...

But if I run in 4th gear from 4000 rpm to 8600... i not gonna knock, because the cam angle stay where the command want it...

I gonna tune all the 12 AF map with minor ignition correction for correct this situation...

About ignition tuning in the street.... this is at your how risk.... because you don't really have an idea when your Ignition tuning is at is maximum... you can try to add timing and stop it when you see some knocking... but is not really a safe way for your engine.... you should only remove ignition if you see knock somewhere... but nothing more. On a dyno you will see you have too much advance before knocking, its safer.

But before removing some ignition advance, be sure you have the good AF ratio... a too lean one can make the engine knocking too...

I hope my english is not to bad...
EM2 k20a2 powered

risktypes

Post by risktypes » Fri May 11, 2007 7:37 am

your english is good, i've seen worse and their first language was english.
:lol:
Thanks for both your guys answer you both answered my question. I now have a better understanding of tuning A/F. Does anyone know a good book or where i can get more and more understanding of tuning? I want to get really deep into this but i don't know what book(s) to read or videos and what not.