vtec issue

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
consett_chris

vtec issue

Post by consett_chris »

i have 2002 civic type r

and i have just uploaded the tuned map to my ecu as i could not download the old map

all seems to be good but now when i go into vtec i seem to have a little hesitaition or kick on the change over and can feel it

on my orignal map it was a smooth change over on vtec and would like this back i have my vtec set to engage at 4800 like it was on original map

my car has a gruppe m air filter

tanabe system

and a de-cat

any help on this would be great as i do no like the hesitaion kick its giving me does not feel right

thanks in advance
fonz600

Post by fonz600 »

It depends on your cam angles and fuelling as well mate.
You'd need to datalog and post it but having your cam angles rolling towards what the high cam is set at on crossover reduces time of crossover.
Tuning your low cam separately to your high cam for max power and finding out where the intersect is between gaining poower from low to high is where you get the smoother crossover.
consett_chris

Post by consett_chris »

so the crossover is not going to cause me any problems?

and car is getting booked in for a full rollig road tune as soon as my new middle pipe is fitted

just really dont like the notchy change over much prefer the old smooth change over on the orignal map which was done at tdi north around 3 years ago

shame that i have lost that.

does anybody have a good calibration i can try on my car?
fonz600

Post by fonz600 »

Each car is different mate so what works for one might not work for another and if you have a UK car there is no way of checking your fuelling which is something you should check out incase your running lean.
Also make sure you have the flash MIL light if knock detected in parameters. If your light flashes stop what your doing and try something else or retard the ignition in those spots.
Originally there is a dip on crossover on OEM ECU. If you raise the cross over backup to nearer the 5800 I'd guess it'll be smoother. Until you can get it tuned proper but try and get a copy of the map this time.
consett_chris

Post by consett_chris »

cheers mate i think i will try that

i have already turned my knock sensor on so it flashes the ecu light

how come you cant check fuel on a uk car??

do you think the tuning place will give me a copy of the map if i ask for it??

cheers you have been a great help
fonz600

Post by fonz600 »

A tuner could check your fueling with a tailpipe sensor but for datalogging to tune yourself you cant on a UK car.

A UK car has a narrowband sensor. You need a wideband sensor for checking your fuel.

If you have a PRB, PRC or PRD ECU then you can get a OEM wideband sensor and wire it in. If you have a PRA(UK) ECU then it's not so easy.

You could try and use the excuse that you want a copy of the map to tune your partial throttle as that doesn't normal get tuned on the dyno.

You need to get a wideband though to use that excuse as you can't tune it without one on the road.