Euro PRA w/ oem RSX O2 wideband in ELD pin possible ????

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
brunoctr

Euro PRA w/ oem RSX O2 wideband in ELD pin possible ????

Post by brunoctr »

hello

can i connect an oem rsx wideband into eld pin of a pra kpro to datalog the air/fuel just like any other aftermarket sensor ????? were can i get the values for the lambda conversion table ??? are they already there in the "stock" option ????

this is cause allready have a pra w/ kpro. if it was stock of course i would prefer to get a prb w/ oem O2 rsx sensor

thanks
Garrett_si

Post by Garrett_si »

The best and simpliest way

is to use a USDM ecu
LK7R

Post by LK7R »

PRA ECU does NOT have a WideBand Lambda controller -> on ELD pin you have to connect output from aftermarket WideBand controller to which is connected Lambda sensor.

Options are:
1) PRB ECU and resoldering KPRO into that ECU + some wiring changes (you have Euro CTR right?)
2) Buy an aftermarket Lambda sensor with controller (such as AEM UEGO or INNOVATIVE Motorsports LC-1 or LM-1, ...)

Dan
carbonctr

Post by carbonctr »

LK7R wrote:PRA ECU does NOT have a WideBand Lambda controller -> on ELD pin you have to connect output from aftermarket WideBand controller to which is connected Lambda sensor.

Options are:
1) PRB ECU and resoldering KPRO into that ECU + some wiring changes (you have Euro CTR right?)
2) Buy an aftermarket Lambda sensor with controller (such as AEM UEGO or INNOVATIVE Motorsports LC-1 or LM-1, ...)

Dan
From experience do NOT fit the LC-1 sensor in the primary position to simulate the narrowband stock sensor by wiring directly into the PRA ECU's primary o2 input pin (A6?). I did this and the car ran terribly in closed loop. It might work by wiring the LC-1 narrowband output to the stock sensor's connector plug as I didn't try that. I have put the LC-1 in the secondary o2 position so the stock primary one could run the car properly. There are voltage offsets on the ELD pin in my PRA ECU so I had to calibrate by setting the LC-1 to flatline a few set voltages to make a conversion table. But it now works well and I get nice AFR values for datalogging from the LC-1 :-)
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

We only recommend the PLX Devices widebands.
Last edited by Spunkster on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
LK7R

Post by LK7R »

carbonctr wrote: From experience do NOT fit the LC-1 sensor in the primary position to simulate the narrowband stock sensor by wiring directly into the PRA ECU's primary o2 input pin (A6?). I did this and the car ran terribly in closed loop. It might work by wiring the LC-1 narrowband output to the stock sensor's connector plug as I didn't try that. I have put the LC-1 in the secondary o2 position so the stock primary one could run the car properly. There are voltage offsets on the ELD pin in my PRA ECU so I had to calibrate by setting the LC-1 to flatline a few set voltages to make a conversion table. But it now works well and I get nice AFR values for datalogging from the LC-1 :-)
I have Innovate Motorsports LC-1 hooked up to my PRA KPRO ECU. I'm using it for WB and NB too.

Wiring is as follows (6 wires LC-1 version):

ECU conector A:
A6 [PHO2S+] - Yellow wire (Narrowband O2 output)
A5 [PG1] - Blue wire, Black Wire, Metalic/White wire (Ground - thick black cable)

ECU conector E:
E15 [ELD] - Brown wire (Wideband O2 output)
E9 [IG1]- Red wire (+12V)

Wires from LC-1 are soldered to the ECU cable harness.

Hope that it helps to someone.

cheers

Dan
carbonctr

Post by carbonctr »

LK7R wrote:
I have Innovate Motorsports LC-1 hooked up to my PRA KPRO ECU. I'm using it for WB and NB too.

Wiring is as follows (6 wires LC-1 version):

ECU conector A:
A6 [PHO2S+] - Yellow wire (Narrowband O2 output)
A5 [PG1] - Blue wire, Black Wire, Metalic/White wire (Ground - thick black cable)

ECU conector E:
E15 [ELD] - Brown wire (Wideband O2 output)
E9 [IG1]- Red wire (+12V)

Wires from LC-1 are soldered to the ECU cable harness.

Hope that it helps to someone.

cheers

Dan
Interesting...I might get missioned and wire mine the same some day. I would like to have the wideband in the primary position. The only downside would be if the LC-1 controller packed in again like it did a few months ago. Innovate fixed it free of charge but would mean running with the MIL illuminated in open loop for a few weeks if it happened again.

Did you just solder the LC-1 wires to the cable harness leaving the existing A6, A5, E15 and E9 wires connected or did you cut them all first?

When I connected the LC-1 first time in the primary position, I only connected the LC-1 yellow wire to A6 and all the grounds to a connector strip wired to Hondata's suggested engine earth. It coughed and spluttered and may well have wasted my 80 quid spark plugs!
LK7R

Post by LK7R »

carbonctr wrote: Interesting...I might get missioned and wire mine the same some day. I would like to have the wideband in the primary position. The only downside would be if the LC-1 controller packed in again like it did a few months ago. Innovate fixed it free of charge but would mean running with the MIL illuminated in open loop for a few weeks if it happened again.

Did you just solder the LC-1 wires to the cable harness leaving the existing A6, A5, E15 and E9 wires connected or did you cut them all first?

When I connected the LC-1 first time in the primary position, I only connected the LC-1 yellow wire to A6 and all the grounds to a connector strip wired to Hondata's suggested engine earth. It coughed and spluttered and may well have wasted my 80 quid spark plugs!
No i didn't cut the cables. Just did a proper soldering job on the side of the cables about 3cm away from the conector and isolated them with tape. Will take picture for you. I also used conectors to make it more practical in case i youd need to unplug it or use another WB in my car. You'll see it on the photos.

I went for a trip (~1 500km) and it seems to be working fine. Fuel consuption was as expected (120km/h -> 7 to 7.5 litres/100km). No coughing and spluttering. You have to disable primary O2 heater in KPRO.
One problem was that it gave me MIL error - O2 sensor voltage is high (twice). Simple switchig off and on sorted it out.

cheers

Dan
carbonctr

Post by carbonctr »

LK7R wrote: No i didn't cut the cables. Just did a proper soldering job on the side of the cables about 3cm away from the conector and isolated them with tape. Will take picture for you. I also used conectors to make it more practical in case i youd need to unplug it or use another WB in my car. You'll see it on the photos.

I went for a trip (~1 500km) and it seems to be working fine. Fuel consuption was as expected (120km/h -> 7 to 7.5 litres/100km). No coughing and spluttering. You have to disable primary O2 heater in KPRO.
One problem was that it gave me MIL error - O2 sensor voltage is high (twice). Simple switchig off and on sorted it out.

cheers

Dan
I had the same error after I wired my LC-1 up the first time in the primary O2 position with only the yellow wire connected to A6 and the grounds to the engine earth. Switch off and restart did sort it but then the spluttering started. Hopefully this is just due to a voltage offset as the LC-1 was not grounded to the A5 wire.

I would like to see the photo of your wiring. I bought a nice little gas soldering iron for doing this job originally so have the tools to do it.
LK7R

Post by LK7R »

Here are the pictures i have promised. Quality is bad, but I'll take some more later with better light.
Attachments
ECU connectors from bottom. Connector A on the right and connector E on the left
ECU connectors from bottom. Connector A on the right and connector E on the left
23062009064.jpg (288.13 KiB) Viewed 8004 times
Connector A, yellow wire (narrowband input) soldered on red harness wire (A6), Black wire soldered on black harness wire (A5)
Connector A, yellow wire (narrowband input) soldered on red harness wire (A6), Black wire soldered on black harness wire (A5)
23062009065.jpg (351.66 KiB) Viewed 8004 times
Connector E - soldered the same way.
Connector E - soldered the same way.
23062009068.jpg (377.73 KiB) Viewed 8004 times
This is picture of the connector i have used. It is standard Hobby/RC connector - high current low resistance . You can get it in any Hobby/RC toys shop.
This is picture of the connector i have used. It is standard Hobby/RC connector - high current low resistance . You can get it in any Hobby/RC toys shop.
23062009069.jpg (331.24 KiB) Viewed 8004 times
Picture of the wires and calibration button from LC-1 connected into wires with connectors soldered onto harness. Connectors are secured with tape.
Picture of the wires and calibration button from LC-1 connected into wires with connectors soldered onto harness. Connectors are secured with tape.
23062009072.jpg (341.96 KiB) Viewed 8004 times
carbonctr

Post by carbonctr »

LK7R wrote:Here are the pictures i have promised. Quality is bad, but I'll take some more later with better light.
Nice one! Thanks for attaching the images. I'll have a go when I have the time and see how it goes....
bewize

Post by bewize »

I have a problem with LC-1 wired the way it's shown here. Connected it to PRA ECU, but the voltage on ELD don't drop lower then 1.35V. Why can that be? Can there be any ballast resistor in the circuit? AFR don't drop lower 11.5 this way. Don't know how to solve this problem
zbrskz

Post by zbrskz »

bewize wrote:I have a problem with LC-1 wired the way it's shown here. Connected it to PRA ECU, but the voltage on ELD don't drop lower then 1.35V. Why can that be? Can there be any ballast resistor in the circuit? AFR don't drop lower 11.5 this way. Don't know how to solve this problem
Same with me ...

I find the ELD values to be in the range of 1.36 - 4.90V.

I have set the conversion table to:

1.36V - 7.350AF
4.90V - 22.390AF

The readings seem coerent with LogWorks software, but I lost confidence regarding accurate readings ...

Anyone else?

Luis
LK7R

Post by LK7R »

zbrskz wrote:
bewize wrote:I have a problem with LC-1 wired the way it's shown here. Connected it to PRA ECU, but the voltage on ELD don't drop lower then 1.35V. Why can that be? Can there be any ballast resistor in the circuit? AFR don't drop lower 11.5 this way. Don't know how to solve this problem
Same with me ...

I find the ELD values to be in the range of 1.36 - 4.90V.

I have set the conversion table to:

1.36V - 7.350AF
4.90V - 22.390AF

The readings seem coerent with LogWorks software, but I lost confidence regarding accurate readings ...

Anyone else?

Luis
Same here, I'm trying to figure out way how to calibrate LC-1 with KPRO semi-automaticaly using .kdl datalog and datalog from Logworks3 software. Unfortunately there is no ELD.V data in datalog exported CSV file.
Dervi

Re: Euro PRA w/ oem RSX O2 wideband in ELD pin possible ????

Post by Dervi »

I am an O2 user. Also i want to know about it. Please give me a solution about it. If you tell me a good suggestion then it will be very helpful to me. I am waiting for the suggestion from all of you.