Need help with tune

K-Series Programmable ECU Calibration updates / downloads
Dirtypool

Need help with tune

Post by Dirtypool »

Hi. I k-swapped a 1966 Datsun roadster.
It is a JDM K24a with RBB head and a Kpower intake. The header is custom made with 1 3/4 primaries and 2 1/4 exhaust. Kpro v4 non type s (pnd?) ecu.

If I load a pnd stock tune, it will not start at all. If I load a TSX tune from the list, it will start and run poorly. I mistakenly bought a 4 Bar MAP, but I am not boosted so I should have bought a 1 Bar MAP. If I set my tune to the parameters of the 4 bar map, it will run worse and die. If I tell it there is a stock MAP, it runs better.
Lots of black smoke and idle and low rpm. It cleans up in the midrange. in higher RPM the engine will just quit.

Here is the tune that I had the best luck with.
rob1.kal
(162.85 KiB) Downloaded 85 times

Here are a few of the datalogs
46sec.kdl
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 74 times
29sec.kdl
(1014.07 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

One tune had the A/F at 14.x and another had it at 11.x. Stock injectors. The injector figure in ms is always in the red at approx 22ms.

The local tuner is ghosting me and even if I wanted to tow the car 3 hours away, those tuners also have not returned my call.

Let me know if you would like to see other datalogs that I pulled.

Thanks for your help.

Rob
Dirtypool

Re: Need help with tune

Post by Dirtypool »

Also, I don't have access to another car to try this ecu/tune in.
Dirtypool

Post by Dirtypool »

Update:
I bought a 1 bar MAP sensor and changed the spark plugs.
This is a new datalog...
0612.kdl
(3.42 MiB) Downloaded 84 times
When driving the car, there is quite a bit of smoke from the exhaust still. When holding maintenance throttle i.e. staying at 30mph, the car burbles and is not smooth.
When letting off of the throttle, the car will sometimes give you throttle for about a second or more. Also, I cant go past about 2/3 throttle or it stumbles, cuts out and sometimes backfires.

While it runs better than the last datalog it still has some issues.

Thanks.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

In the last datalog, the data appears to be frozen and is not moving.
Dirtypool

Post by Dirtypool »

Strange.
I just checked the source file and it is the same way.

Next time I drive it I will get a longer data log session.

Thanks
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

I can help you out once you figure out the datalog freezing issue. The other datalogs worked. Also, you will need to log the car longer than what you posted. The basemaps are a good start but will always need work.

-Ed
Dirtypool

Post by Dirtypool »

Yeah. Will do.

Not sure why the injectors are always in the red at about 20ms. Not sure why it cuts out at about 2/3 throttle. Hopefully I can get an updated log tomorrow.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

Dirtypool wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:30 pm Yeah. Will do.

Not sure why the injectors are always in the red at about 20ms. Not sure why it cuts out at about 2/3 throttle. Hopefully I can get an updated log tomorrow.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Sounds good.

-Ed
Dirtypool

Post by Dirtypool »

Ok.
Drove it today.
This is the calibration file:
rob1.kal
(162.85 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

And this is driving it around the block:
0616a.kdl
(4.34 MiB) Downloaded 74 times
Dirtypool

Post by Dirtypool »

I think those files are out of order on my last post.

I also drove it down the street but my datalog file is 600k over the 10mb limit so I can't upload it.

When I drove it down the street, it died when I was slowing down for the traffic light. I let the clutch out in second gear and it restarted but died again as I was going through the intersection. I pulled over and tried to start it a few times, then it started and stayed running so I drove it back. If I can find a way to shorten that file I will post it up here.

Thanks.
Dirtypool

Post by Dirtypool »

I have an error message for the vtec oil pressure switch. The engine is a JDM K24 so it does not have a vtec oil pressure switch
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

Dirtypool wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:56 pm I think those files are out of order on my last post.

I also drove it down the street but my datalog file is 600k over the 10mb limit so I can't upload it.

When I drove it down the street, it died when I was slowing down for the traffic light. I let the clutch out in second gear and it restarted but died again as I was going through the intersection. I pulled over and tried to start it a few times, then it started and stayed running so I drove it back. If I can find a way to shorten that file I will post it up here.

Thanks.
Open the datalog in KManager, on the timeline right click about 15-20 minutes into the datalog and select "set new end". Save it with a new file name and upload it.

It looks like you need to start with a good base tune and then dial it in. I would like to see the datalog where you drove it on the street. The most recent datalog is the car warming up at idle.

-Ed
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

Dirtypool wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:00 pm I have an error message for the vtec oil pressure switch. The engine is a JDM K24 so it does not have a vtec oil pressure switch
This is a simple fix. You have to uncheck this in the calibration file.

-Ed
Dirtypool

Post by Dirtypool »

Thank you.

Shortened version.
shortened.kdl
(9.39 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
Dirtypool

Post by Dirtypool »

CalibratEd wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:00 pm
Dirtypool wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:56 pm I think those files are out of order on my last post.

Thanks.
Open the datalog in KManager, on the timeline right click about 15-20 minutes into the datalog and select "set new end". Save it with a new file name and upload it.

It looks like you need to start with a good base tune and then dial it in. I would like to see the datalog where you drove it on the street. The most recent datalog is the car warming up at idle.

-Ed
The first minute of that datalog was warm up and backing out of garage. Then I drove around the block. You can see the rough running maintenance throttle i.e. holding at 30mph.

I don't have anything hooked up to the vss so it won't show speed.