How do you street tune ign timing

K-Series Programmable ECU Calibration updates / downloads
Martgsr

How do you street tune ign timing

Post by Martgsr »

I need some advice,
Since we can't see any hp gain on the street, how do you play with ign timing ?
Raise it until it knock ? or you keep the "stock" ign timing from base map ?

Any different technique for part throttle vs Wot ?
Any input is welcome
05typeR

Re: How do you street tune ign timing

Post by 05typeR »

good question. . .

i was planning on advancing the timing until i feel a difference OR until the MIL flash then retard it a few degrees, the pros will have the ear phones to listen for knock.

would love to hear the experts on this since i'm now in the street tuning stages of my AFRs
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

This should realy only be adjusted on the dyno where you can see an increase or decrease in power.
El Verdugo

Post by El Verdugo »

Spunkster is right, the best place to adjust timing is on the dyno, but if there is no dyno then I suggest downloading Virtual Dyno by Brad Barnhill and put in the specs of the vehicle being tuned if its not in the category already.
Make a pull on 3rd gear datalog and export to desktop, open VD and load the CSV file. Make another pull on the exact same stretch of road and with timing adv. see if the power increased, if its the same then you hit or are very near MBT.
Attachments
CivicSi.jpg
CivicSi.jpg (39.24 KiB) Viewed 8414 times
05typeR

Post by 05typeR »

I have downloaded this program but I can't seem to get it work as it should, my UKDM Civic type R with a K20A2.
Catback DCSport exhaust
Hondata air box mod with K&N filter

Those are my only mods and I get crazy readings like 298hp at 8250 on high cam 10 degree.
I have already input my weight and tires size etc under the SiR 02-05 model.
How to set up this so it reads correctly?
El Verdugo

Post by El Verdugo »

Yeah that sounds like you are testing in a wrong gear or have the gears or final drive in the Car's detail wrong.
Under Help>Data folder and in there you can open the file you are working with with Notepad and make the changes to reflect your vehicle and then save it under that same folder with a different name.

When u test make sure you are in only one gear like 3rd and make a pull.
At the end if you make lets say 230whp and the next time you make 235whp when you lets says add 1 degree of timing then that change really helped the engine make more power.

GL
05typeR

Post by 05typeR »

I have everything possible set correctly including my body and car's weight, my stock FD is 4.7 and "gear" I have selected as '3' etc.
I'm also currently street tuning my car so third is all I know from 3000rpm to 7000 on low spd and to 8500rpm on high spd both at wide open throttle.
El Verdugo

Post by El Verdugo »

05typeR wrote:I have everything possible set correctly including my body and car's weight, my stock FD is 4.7 and "gear" I have selected as '3' etc.
I'm also currently street tuning my car so third is all I know from 3000rpm to 7000 on low spd and to 8500rpm on high spd both at wide open throttle.
Well at the end who cares what is the actual whp as long as its consistent and you can see the delta on the runs.
05typeR

Post by 05typeR »

i do understand your point but i believe part of the fun is in using it and seeing numbers close to what your motor is producing.. .

I was trying again with it on the home pc and it gave me more realistic numbers.

home pc using XP
laptop using Win7