K-swapped EM1 - K20A2 running rich

K-Series Programmable ECU Calibration updates / downloads
papi_sosaa

K-swapped EM1 - K20A2 running rich

Post by papi_sosaa »

Hi everyone,

Was wondering if I could get some insight on my issue here. My K20A2 is stock besides a K-swap header and a CAI converted into short ram that runs down and sits beside the transmission.

I've noticed that the car kind of loses some power right after the VTEC engagement and after digging into it further I've found out the cars running way richer than it's supposed to.
  • At 4548 RPM and TPS at 60%, the AFR is reading 10.82:1
  • At 5760 RPM and TPS at 68%, the AFR peaks at 12.51:1
  • Between 5900-8100 RPM and TPS between 69% and 91%, AFR sits anywhere between 11.48:1 and 11.80:1

From what I've been researching online, it looks like the proper AFR at WOT is supposed to be between 12:1-13:1 and partial throttle is supposed to be between 13:1-14:1. I was hoping somebody could give me some insight on what exactly might be causing this issue and if there's anything that I can do to try and rectify it. I'm including 2 datalogs that I took as well as what my stock tune is.

Initial Run was a 2nd gear pull and the Highway Pull was 3rd and 4th (Pull is in 4th).

As far as I remember, it's just the stock map with idle set to 850, TPS at 1.5-100%, Launch Control set to 3500 RPM, and the Idle Valve Duty Cycle adjusted by 1 tick to the right.

Thanks again.
Attachments
Stock K20A2 - 4.21.2020.kal
(163.06 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
Initial Run.kdl
(351.67 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Highway Pull.kdl
(1.64 MiB) Downloaded 125 times
EFICU

Re: K-swapped EM1 - K20A2 running rich

Post by EFICU »

Yeah one of the main problems at vtec is the cam angle commanded is trying to jump 20* in a split second, which isn't possible. The actual cam angle can't follow the cam commanded trying to jump 20* that quick, which can cause drivability issues and poor fueling. The cam angle leading up to vtec needs to be smooth out. You car is demanding more fuel right before vtec than it is right after vtec engagement, which is part of the bog.

Do you have any idea why your throttle position never goes to 100%, or at least in the high 90's? That is part of the problem with fueling as well, you never really hit WOT via the TPS reading, which makes me curious.

You are correct it is running fairly rich. Generally somewhere in the 12.8 range is where you want to be, some setups require a different AFR to be ideal. I can help you clean it up a bit if you want. Let me know your thoughts on your TPS readings in the datalog...